tandem remote sources

Questions comments and suggestions for MusicLobby 3.75
Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

tandem remote sources

Postby Art Dustman » Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 am

I have a client with it's own receiver/speakers in the back yard that I would like to tandem with the unit on the back porch (own receiver/speakers). How do I configure (temporarily) musiclobby to stream the audio to both remote sources at the same time?

When we have guests, I move the all-in-one touchscreen to the back part of my yard, which connects to an amp and speakers I have setup in a pool house. Problem is, the second receiver than powers the speakers on the patio and pool is inside with the client just inside the back door. Other than ripping up most of the pavers on the patio or trenching a over 100', this is my only option. Plus it gves guests options to add music at either station.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: tandem remote sources

Postby CinemarDave » Mon May 02, 2011 12:27 pm

There is no easy way to have two remote zones playing the same songs at the same time. You could create a series of macros that sent commands to both zones at once but you'd have the issue of the music in both zones being slightly out of sync with each other. Depending on where your guests were sitting in respect to the speakers they may hear some strange sounds. How about adding a wireless audio input to the second zone? Then you could slave that zone from the primary and you'll be playing to one zone and everything will be in sync.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Mon May 02, 2011 2:48 pm

That's where I started. It's too far for wireless speakers, and the strongest bluetooth (class 1) audio transmitter I can find sounds like a##. So I put an access point on the back wall of the house thinking all was ok, till I couldn't figure out a way to get the audio in tandem. Just planted the sod this past fall and would rather not irritate the wife or my back with 100' trench. Any other ideas? :roll:

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed May 04, 2011 10:02 am

Hey Art,

Here's an idea. For my Christmas light show (although didn't do it this last year), I used an FM Transmitter to play the music for the cars that pull up to watch the light show. They tune into an FM station that I set. It goes pretty far to the point that I could still hear the audio about a couple blocks away.

I'm thinking you could transmit the audio simultaneously through the FM transmitter and then have the receiver play that particular station.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Wed May 04, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks Mario. Funny, that's what I had come up with too. It's ok quality, but only in mono. (Taken from my dad's christmas setup ...shhh lol) So I have something for now. I fear I'm going to have to trench a line for a cat-5 stereo balun... At least I can run a few extra lines. Not a huge deal. It's summer, college kids looking for some money will serve the purpose. 8)

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed May 04, 2011 10:20 am

Yeah - the quality might not be optimal. The trench is probably the best route. Actually you should be able to use a flat shovel, depending upon how deep you are running it, and just create a wedge in the grass. Then bury the conduit and let the grass fall back in place without ever really removing it. This will probably get you about 6" below the grass but with the least amount of work and destruction.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Wed May 04, 2011 10:49 am

You forgot the case of Corona...

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed May 04, 2011 10:56 am

And a lime. :)
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:45 pm

Well I have a pickle now. I have 7 touch screens setup in different rooms, and I was asked to play the same songs in all the locations. Hmmmmm. uhhhmm. :?

So... Can we revisit this?

Found a bunch of stuff on using the VLC client/server package (free) to multicast. Just imagine making Musiclobby a true any source/any room package! :idea:

Return to “MusicLobby 3.75”