Sound cards that work

Questions comments and suggestions for MusicLobby 3.75
simonmason
Expert
Expert

Re: Sound cards that work

Postby simonmason » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Does this mean that instead of a traditional stereo mini plug they would need a plug with one more channel? I have seen these plugs on specialized cables such as the video output on my camcorder that carries video, audio left and audio right on the same plug. This would explain a lot! However, when if you look at the port configuration on the card (attached) it would seem that they are not combining more than two channels on any specific plug?

I have had similar issues such as this with J. River Media Center. I have JRMC running on a separate server - also Windows XP. I went through the process of buying the right sound card to manage multi-room audio - based on recommendations from people on their board - installed it and could never get it working as intended. Then when I went back and posted I found out that it was not quite as simple as originally thought and that people did have issues. I eventually opted for three sound cards and the on board audio in the same server to get what I needed. Another nasty side affect is a system update (to JRMC or Windows) causing it to lose all of the settings and having to go back and map all of the channels back onto the available sound cards! I would run MusicLobby on this server but it is not possible to run MusicLobby as a remote client (at this time) so I am trying to get it running on my Main Lobby/Homeseer server which is quite limited in regards to available PCI cards so I don't have the luxury of sticking all of the sound cards in this machine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:47 pm

So I broke down my media server and moved one of the cards over to my Music Lobby server. It is an M-Audio Revolution 5.1. I installed it and downloaded the latest drivers. The good news is that it is outputting three zones. The bad news, one is good, one has choppy audio playback, and the third appears to be at about 1/3 normal volume. I am still checking all settings - but what would cause choppy audio on one zone? And I can't see any volume issues with the third zone. ARRRRRRGGGHHH!
Simon D. S. Mason

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:05 pm

Assuming the wiring and speakers on that choppy zone are good, it sounds like a bad card. Whatever that was previously attached to may have taken a hit of some sort.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:41 pm

I think it is a resource issue. I was running the M-Audio configuration software when it happened. When I shut it down I noticed that it only skips when I am doing something intensive with Homeseer. It is weird because it only happens on this zone. As for low volume zone I haven't figured that one out yet. My problem is that this machine only has one available PCI slot so I need to get a good multi-zone card working. The other option is to move Main Lobby to my media server - I might look into doing this. Then I will have 4 sound cards to play with.
Simon D. S. Mason

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:45 pm

I wanted to restart this thread - perhaps we can make it sticky?

I am in the process of planning a replacement MainLobby / Homeseer server. On my new server I assume everything will be a combination of PCI and PCI Express. I will probably use my existing multi-serial card and most importantly I want to get sound cards that give me the maximum amount of channels that work simultaneously with Music Lobby. Ideally I would like a card that can put out a minimum of three stereo channels so I could put two in and get 6 channels. Most modern mother boards do not provide more than 1 or 2 PCI slots so it is more than likely that I will have to use PCI Express sound cards.
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Any sound card that can be recognized by Windows will work with MusicLobby. 7.1 sound cards are very common and that will yield 4 stereo zones.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:08 am

This is what I don't understand. I currently have three sound cards in my MainLobby server and one yields two stereo zones and the other two only one a piece. No matter what I do I cannot get any more zones to work on them. They are all installed under Windows (Xp pro) and working. I have since this issue with J River in the past as well. Is this something unique to me (in other words I am doing something wrong) or is this more prevalent?
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 am

Have you gone into the Windows sound applet in the control panel and enabled all the channels on the sound cards? A sound card may have 5.1 channels but if Windows is told that you are only using 2 speakers then you will not be able to use the other channels.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 pm

All of my sound cards installed their own software that sits in the system tray. I have been adjusting the number of channels through this. I just looked in control panel and I notice that this is not necessarily reflected in the settings there. That might be part of my problem. I am going to investigate when I get home. Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

Return to “MusicLobby 3.75”