Wish List

Questions comments and suggestions for MusicLobby 3.75
DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Wish List

Postby DaveB » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:18 am

Dave; I have seen posts spread throughout suggesting nice to have features in future releases. Maybe you should make a sticky to capture those items in one area.

Here is my list so far;

1. A rating system for songs.
    2. A track and Album "Management" scene for deleting duplicate tracks, duplicate albums and so on.
    3. Ability to make a "source" inactive.

Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:31 am

I made this post sticky. Good idea.

1) There already is a rating field in the database for the albums but not the songs. It was never exposed because how would you really want to use it?We'd need to give you some way of rating the songs or albums. Then once you had them rated what do you want to do with it? Create a dynamic playlist of your highest rated songs? Manually rating thousands of songs is time consuming. We'd like to know how many people do this on a regular basis? All good data for steering the feature set.

2) We were hoping to not have to develop full blown editing scenes for the music. The thought was that the majority of the users would be using other external applications for managing and editing their music files.

3) Do you want an MusicLobby command to dynamically enable and disable a zone (source)? e.g. MLMusicLobby|EnableZone~1, MLMusicLobby|DisableZone~1

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Never thought about having the ability to dynamically enable/disable the source from the screen. That would be even better. I was just thinking along the lines of a checkbox on the setup screen.

On items 1 and 2, it will be interesting to see what other comments we get.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

My Wish List So Far.....

Postby jeffdoo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Here is my wish list....

• (3.75.186 Search Implemented)I would prefer Track Artist be used instead of Album Artist.... This is how iTunes, JR Media Center, etc work. Finding a song you want by searching through "Various Artists" is extremely difficult and it doesn't win any WAF points either seeing "Various Artists" on our Nuvo keypads.....
  • (IGNORE) The song duration provided in seconds in addition to the current method. The Nuvo keypad wants the duration in seconds and current play location in seconds. I might be able to parse the "3:19" and try some fun math but that doesn't strike me as the right solution. I need 199 seconds, then I'll use the percentage to calc the current location.

I decided to create two automation rules:
    Rule #1
    Whenever: music_currenttracktime_1 changes value
    Then: Macro|MLStrings|Extract~my_music_currenttracktimeminutes_1~{{music_currenttracktime_1}}~:~1!MLStrings|Extract~my_music_currenttracktimeseconds_1~{{music_currenttracktime_1}}~:~2!MLMATH|MULTIPLY~my_music_currenttracktimetotalseconds_1~{{my_music_currenttracktimeminutes_1}}~60!MLMATH|ADD~my_music_currenttracktimetotalseconds_1~{{my_music_currenttracktimetotalseconds_1}}~{{my_music_currenttracktimeseconds_1}}!MLMATH|MULTIPLY~my_music_currenttracktimetotalseconds_1~{{my_music_currenttracktimetotalseconds_1}}~10!MLGrandConcerto|Source_Display_Info~4~{{my_music_currenttracktimetotalseconds_1}}~0~0

Rule #2
    Whenever: music_currentpositiontime_1 changes value AND music_currentpercent_1 is greater than 0
    Then: Macro|MLStrings|Extract~my_music_currentpositionminutes_1~{{music_currentposition_1}}~:~1!MLStrings|Extract~my_music_currentpositionseconds_1~{{music_currentposition_1}}~:~2!MLMATH|MULTIPLY~my_music_currentpositiontotalseconds_1~{{my_music_currentpositionminutes_1}}~60!MLMATH|ADD~my_music_currentpositiontotalseconds_1~{{my_music_currentpositiontotalseconds_1}}~{{my_music_currentpositionseconds_1}}!MLMATH|MULTIPLY~my_music_currentpositiontotalseconds_1~{{my_music_currentpositiontotalseconds_1}}~10!MLGrandConcerto|Source_Display_Info~4~{{my_music_currenttracktimetotalseconds_1}}~{{my_music_currentpositiontotalseconds_1}}~0
  • Make the cross-fade adjustable in duration, I prefer a longer cross-fade than is being used.
  • Always cross-fade to the next song, right now if I execute "MLServeCmd.MLMusicLobby|1~NextNowPlayingTrack" or anything else the current song is abruptly cutoff.... it just doesn't sound very graceful. (Just to clarify, this also includes "previous" or any other song transition, switching playlists, etc.... I really liked this about MC12/13, I had it configured to gracefully transition from one song to another)
  • Simple smart playlists, already mentioned by others.
  • Scripted smart playlists... The general playlist I used here through MC12/13 was the following:

[Media Type]=[audio] [Genre]=[Bluegrass],[Country],[Dance],[Easy Listening],[Electronic],[Hip-Hop//Rap],[R&B//Soul],[Reggea],[Rock//Pop] [Date (year)]=>=1960 ~mix=9999,40%,{[Rating]=5},25%,{[Rating]=4},15%,{[Rating]=3},10%,{[Rating]=2},5%,{[Rating]=1},5%,{[Rating]<1} ~nodup=[Artist],[Name] ~sort=Random

So this provided our generally favorite genre's for "newerish" songs and the ratings all used as components to generate a fresh playlist. It took me a little while to understand the syntax but once assembled this was probably the best thing (for me) in MC12/13.

I'll add more as I continue to attempt integrating this solution with my current implementation.

Thanks!
Last edited by jeffdoo on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mwebster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mwebster » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:13 pm

I'd like .ape support and zone synching. For zone synch I don't need all of the zones to be synched together, but would like to be able to easily transfer a playlist from one zone to another. When I'm out at the grill and I come in to eat, I want to be able to hit a button to turn off the deck music and turn on the dining room zone and have the same list of music playing that I was just listening to on the deck (with it playing at the same spot in the song I was just listening to). Hope that makes sense.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:18 pm

Dynamically transferring a playlist from one zone to another makes a lot of sense. That's a great feature to add.

.APE support and zone syncing will be on the enhancement list.

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mnkynifefite » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:53 am

1) Song rating system
2) Song cross-fades
3) Visualization (g-force, milkdrop, etc) support
4) Zone synching
5) Ability to toggle MLDMR to update/replace tags
6) Expose more search categories (rating, mood, etc)

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:54 pm

WRT song rating, I use per-song rating with the old JRMC model. It's a fairly important part of the system for us: rating a "1" removes it from most of the searchable part of the library; rating a 3/4/5 puts it into different playlists.

I know I need to transcode from APE to FLAC, but I haven't yet, so... APE. Is FLAC supported?

Smart playlists are a must (JRMC like).

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:56 pm

FLAC is 100% supported.

Ratings will be added to tracks in an upcoming release.

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:22 am

Feature Request:

Cross Fades
Volume Leveling for WMA lossless and Flac

Logic Requests:

Some way for "Back" navigation through search results layer. IE if you are on page 4 of Search Results Songs click "Back" brings you to page 3. This applies to all search results: Genres, Artists, Albums etc etc.

When viewing in "Genres" or "Tones" or "Styles" (Search Parameter) and you select to view artists within current "Search Parameter", and then you select an artist from within the "Search Parameter"...the results display all cds of that artist vs restricting just the cd(s) of that artist to the current "Search Parameter".

Variables to determine whether the now playing stream is a "Library Now Playing" or an "Internet Radio Now Playing". This would allow us to dynamically display (through mlconditional) which now playing scene to load in relation to the currently selected source. If "now playing information" and a cyclestate "Source" button are constant on all scenes then as you cycle through the sources, there should be some way to put a link to the correct now playing layer dynamically AND display the correct information about "now playing" which is a constant.

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:58 pm

New item... a better shuffle formula or back-end method.

I've taken some of my "Smart" playlists from MC13 and exported them to m3u (JRiver's mpl isn't being properly read, bug?). The smart playlist rule in MC13 contains "Shuffle" as part of the rule. I have notice with MuL on multiple occasions that a song recently played plays again (as in 20 minutes later).

and, as long as I'm wishing.....

Could there be an option of some kind to prohibit the same artist being played within a specified number of songs? Granted my library (~9250) isn't as large as others, but I prefer my playlists to be a little more random. Having another song from the same album or artist doesn't strike me as random when the playlist is ~300 songs with an MC13 limit of 3 or 4 songs by one artist.

Sorry, none of these are original thoughts, just parts of MC12/13 I really found useful. I wish iTunes/iPod would adopt some of what's available in JRMC.

Thanks!

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Jeff,

I have to agree about the MUL shuffle. It is weak ... almost unusable for me personally. I also agree on the artist play limit within the shuffle. Sometimes a playlist will contain a disproportional number of songs by a single artist. This limits the number of songs by any artist in a custom list.

I think that MUL is still lacking in some areas, but I have confidence that if it can be improved upon, Cinemar will do it.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:08 pm

I'll have to chat with Dave, but I think the way to handle shuffle, is to actually reshuffle the now playing and display it in the new shuffled order. THat will not only allow users to see what is actually coming up, but also prevent the same song from playing twice until every song has played. I'm pretty sure this is how iTunes handles this situation as well.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

kevind
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kevind » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:35 pm

mcascio wrote:I'll have to chat with Dave, but I think the way to handle shuffle, is to actually reshuffle the now playing and display it in the new shuffled order. THat will not only allow users to see what is actually coming up, but also prevent the same song from playing twice until every song has played. I'm pretty sure this is how iTunes handles this situation as well.

All the major players handle it this way as far as I know.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:13 pm

The current shuffle algorithm is simply pick a random number between 1 and the number of elements in the playlist and play it. So you have a 1 in N chance of hearing the same song.

I'll implement the standard Fisher-Yates shuffle in a future release. This will ensure you'll never hear the same song twice. But then someone will want to implement the option where the shuffle has to be random but favor a certain artist. The permutations will never stop.

Return to “MusicLobby 3.75”