very slow thumbnail build

Post your general questions and comments about PhotoLobby here
99teddy99

very slow thumbnail build

Postby 99teddy99 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:09 am

Hi,

I'm having performance problems - when browsing a folder not viewed before, each thumbnail takes an age to load, the whole page takes about 1 minute or so. When revisiting the folder the thumbnails appear fairly quickly.

Simple question - would this be the performance of the client PC or the server PC that I need to address. More memory?

Thanks

Teddy
ML3 Server, DVDL, MUL, WEBLobby
TheaterTek, MLUSBUIRT
HAL2000, JRMC

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:14 pm

It's a function of several things. The speed of the CPU, the speed of your network, the speed of the disk where the images reside and the size of your photos. If you are accessing the photos over the network then the image has to be read in across the network into memory. Then the image is scaled and finally the thumbnail is written to cache. In my testing I have seen the network being the bottleneck for my wireless clients. If all your images reside on the MLServer PC and you are seeing slow build times then I would suspect the CPU as not having enough horsepower. If you have less then 1GB of memory on your MLServer PC then memory could come into play too.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:55 pm

Dave,

Wouldn't larger image file sizes initially play a role?

You have to load each image to the server then resize them. So if some photos were taken at an extremely high resolution that may be part of it too.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Yes and that is why I said one of the items would be image size. I have some photos that are 8mb or larger files. It takes time to move these across the network and scale them.

Return to “PhotoLobby 3”