Visible File Types

Post your general questions and comments about PhotoLobby here
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Visible File Types

Postby ronsatter » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:15 am

I noticed a change in the types of files now visible in "watched" folders with the latest update. Now I see several "non-image" type files in the folders which I didn't notice with the original release.

Actually, I don't really see them. They are marked with the "BrokenImage" swf file icon. These run the gamut from "text" to "video" files. I would rather not see these images at all, if they will not display in ML.

Perhaps a plugin settings tab which allows which image file types to view in the folders would be helpful.

One other small thing:

It's easy to leave the "Slideshow" toggle running while navigating to other ML scenes. While not a CPU hog, there may be times when it might cause a problem. So I just created an MLConditional macro which is triggered on scene exit to toggle the slideshow to stopped. It checks the variable {{photos_slideshow_{{clientname}}}}.

Then again, perhaps leaving the slideshow running is the only way to keep it visible on multiple clients. Since I'm currently testing on a single PC, I'm not clear on how that works. Is it possible to have independent client control of ML PhotoLobby on every client?

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:12 pm

PhotoLobby instances are unique by client.

When the change was made to make the initial scan of the folder quicker it eliminated the filtering of non-images out of the initial scan and placed it into the browser. The hope was that users would for the most part only have images in these folders. I know how I can filter them out and not have you see the broken image icon. Watch for an update.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:15 am

Mario and Dave,

I was wondering why the variable {{Photos_Active_Folder_{{clientname}}}} does not update with manual browsing through the folder path.? It would be nice to have a variable which would track the folder name being browsed.

I realize it's visible as the last item in the folder path in the variable {{photos_active_folder_path_{{clientname}}}}, but I found it helpful to display the folder name separately on my scenes to give users a sense of "You are here" in the photo library. I call this grouping "Photo Sets" which are really just sub-folders within the designated "Active Folders".

Here are some screen shots (75% of actual size) to illustrate how I use the concept. I hope the scene re-design doesn't offend anyone or confuse forum members. You guys did a very nice job with the default scenes. I just like to do my own thing. 8)

Fig 1 shows MLPhotoLobby set to "Folder 1" or what is my "root" folder level. All of my image folders are nested inside this root folder. Each nested folder is called a "Photo Set". Navigating to a nested folder either reveals images or "sub" photo sets".

Fig 2 shows the folders available within the "Vacation" photo set.

Fig 3 shows thumbnails of the images in the "Cozumel 2005" photo set and Fig 4 shows an image from that set.

Notice how the "Photo Set" label follows the navigation through the folder path. If you take the time to name and nest folders correctly, the organization pays off quite nicely.

I use the default "Folder" selection scene as a quick "jump to" method to get to a particular "Photo Set". The buttons at the bottom of my scenes ("Library" and "Sets") navigate back to "Folder 1" and to the "Folder Selection" scene, respectively.

Fig 5 shows my "Folder Selection" scene (I call them "Photo Sets"). This works well for sets with a specific theme, like "Vacations".

My favorite feature of MLPhotoLobby is the slideshow. I choose a photo set, start the slideshow and display the photos on my "Home" scene. It runs indefinitely in the backgroung with no CPU drag. This is a big hit with the family. See Fig 6

I congratulate all of you on a great plugin. Whether run "as is", or customized ... it adds new vitality to ML. Keep up the good work!

Ron

PS. Well worth the asking price :D How much is this darn thing, anyway?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:59 am

Ron,

While we don't plan on doing any major updates to the existing PhotoLobby, adding another variable to extract just the folder name instead of the folder path shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Your screens look great. You've done a fantastic job of blending the existing scenes into your own along with Library0026!
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:05 am

Ron,
Totally agree with Mario. These scenes are absolutely fantastic. Great job !!!

Mario,
I have to admit - this plug-in is really good. Great hit with the family. Finally, my wife thinks that the time I spend on the MainLobby is worth "something". :D

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:24 am

pete_auto wrote:Ron,
Totally agree with Mario. These scenes are absolutely fantastic. Great job !!!

Mario,
I have to admit - this plug-in is really good. Great hit with the family. Finally, my wife thinks that the time I spend on the MainLobby is worth "something". :D

Ron,

After we knock out some more of these core product updates we can begin to revisit other projects that have been put on hold that will hopefully continue to increase your wife acceptance factor!
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:49 pm

Photos_Active_Folder_{{clientname}} is used to reference the home folder so we can quickly return there when necessary. Version 3.0.60 of the plugin adds a new variable called Photos_Active_Folder_Name_{{clientname}} that will track the name of the current folder.

Return to “PhotoLobby 3”