Netflix Collector and Windows 7

Discuss issues related to the MLNetflix plugin.
pschmitt

Netflix Collector and Windows 7

Postby pschmitt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Not sure this one was listed yet...

Was having trouble getting netflix database to populate on on Windows 7 PC I am running ML Server on. Found a minor issue with the Program Files directory, in Windows 7 ML server is in c:\Program Files (x86) but NetflixCollector.exe was looking in C:\program files\. It looks like creating a MLserver\data directory in the Program Files with a copy of the netflix.mdb files solved the issue. Hope this helps someone else.

Use the debug option in the NetflixCollector program - "C:\Program Files\MLServer\NetflixCollector.exe" /debug /log to see where the errors were, but had to change the directory to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MLServer\NetflixCollector.exe" /debug /log.

Phil

pschmitt

Re: Netflix Collector and Windows 7

Postby pschmitt » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:31 am

PS - It did seem to work last night and its now populating the database in the (x86) directory so i don't have to manually manage the database file.

PS - Dave - MLNetflix works great! Its much better then the previous version and better then other methods I have used in the past to access Netflix like Roku etc...

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby MurrayW » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:15 am

pschmitt wrote:PS - It did seem to work last night and its now populating the database in the (x86) directory so i don't have to manually manage the database file.

PS - Dave - MLNetflix works great! Its much better then the previous version and better then other methods I have used in the past to access Netflix like Roku etc...
How is the video quality using a PC vs. Roku? I was under the impression that NetFlix limits the resolution for watching on a PC vs. Roku. Is this not true?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Not true. Video quality is a function of Internet bandwidth. The player constantly monitors the bandwidth and will dynamically adjust the video bit rates to compensate so that you never get the "please wait while we buffer the stream message". I have seen this come into play as I am watching a Netflix movie and then start a large download from another PC. Since I only have a 3MB Internet connection I can easily max out my bandwidth. When this happens the Netflix player switches from DVD quality mode to standard TV mode accompanied by a noticeable change in picture quality. As soon as I stop the download within a few minutes I'm back to watching DVD quality video. If you have sufficient Internet bandwidth you should never see this. Netflix has also started streaming a lot of it's movies in HD mode (720P) if you have the bandwidth. 5.1 audio should be available soon too.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 pm

I agree with Daves comments as I have seen the same. Just find out that my firewall is actually slowing down the data throughput. Noticed that wireless is actually faster than internal network.

Toto speedtest.net and find out your throughput.

Return to “MLNetflix”