Mulitple NetFlix Collector

Discuss issues related to the MLNetflix plugin.
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Mulitple NetFlix Collector

Postby ronsatter » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:32 pm

After install and initial launch of MLServer and NetFlix Agent, I soon had several instances of the data collector app running simultaneously in my Task Manager. When the number of instances reached 20, I ran out of virtual memory. Any ideas?
Multiple Processes.jpg

Here's the log:

10/9/2010 5:59:06 PM NetflixLogin - Error at line #100 - Out of memory
10/9/2010 5:59:07 PM NetflixLogin - Error at line #140 - Object variable or With block variable not set
10/9/2010 5:59:07 PM NetflixLogin - Error at line #150 - Object variable or With block variable not set
10/9/2010 5:59:07 PM NetflixLogin - Error at line #160 - Object variable or With block variable not set
10/9/2010 5:59:07 PM NetflixLogin - Error at line #170 - Object variable or With block variable not set
10/9/2010 5:59:07 PM NetflixLogin - Error at line #180 - For loop not initialized
10/9/2010 5:59:07 PM NetflixLogin - Error at line #410 - For loop not initialized

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

michael53

Re: Mulitple NetFlix Collector

Postby michael53 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:07 pm

I am having the same issue. I had to disable the netflix plugin. It was working so well yesterday

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:34 am

Anyone else seeing this?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:32 am

Internet connectivity issues to the Netflix site can cause the collector program to run slowly. One thing I forgot to do was make the NetFlixCollector.exe program single instance. That's why you are seeing multiple copies running. Version 3.90.12 of the Netflix plugin updates the collector so that only one copy will ever be running.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:00 pm

Dave,

The new version corrected the multiple instances of NetFlix Collector. I was wondering how I can tell if it is actually collecting data? I watch the process in the task manager. About every 5 or 10 secs I see the app's CPU usage go from 00 to 01 percent. Does that mean it is collecting data from the website? How can we tell when the collector has finished? I let it run for about an hour after the install of the newest version, but no data seemed to get collected. I checked the NetFlix mdb file and it appears to be the same size as the default install (468 KB). Also, I noticed that there are duplicates of the NetFlix mdb files. One set is in the ML Server\Data folder and the other set is in the Cinemar\Agents folder. Is that normal?

Once the meta data is downloaded and cached, do we need to go to the "Settings" scene and "Initialize Client" before we can see anything on the Browser scene?

Ron

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:08 pm

The Agent and the plugin each have their own database files. They are the same name but in different folders. The agent database only holds agent configuration settings. I've stopped using the registry to hold this data. The plugin's database is where everything is stored. A full download from Netflix should yield a database around 73mb in size.

If you want to watch the collector then from Start/Run type

"C:\Program Files\MLServer\NetflixCollector.exe" /debug /log

Select "Netflix Catalog" from the menu.

Errors are also logged into the \Logs folder.

michael53

Postby michael53 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:12 pm

That update fixed my problem also.
Thanks Dave

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:46 pm

CinemarDave wrote:
If you want to watch the collector then from Start/Run type

"C:\Program Files\MLServer\NetflixCollector.exe" /debug /log

Select "Netflix Catalog" from the menu.

Errors are also logged into the \Logs folder.

Dave,

I still can't get this collector app to download anything.

Tried to run the debug, get a momentary flash of some kind of window ... then nothing. What kind of app is the debug trying to launch?

Here's what I see when I watch the service in the task manager:
Task Manager.jpg

When I first launch the agent and ML Server, it takes a minute or so for the collector app to start. It's memory usage starts small and for the first minute or two ... CPU usage of the collector bounces between 1 and 10%. I would guess that it is connected to the website and collecting data at that point. Then the memory usage starts to climb until it gets to what you see in the screeshot and activity seems to drop off drastically, ie 1% CPU usage once a minute or so. After about an hour of letting it run, I still don't see any major activity in the task manager. I assume when the collector has finished downloading and cacheing all the data to ML Server, it will quit. That has never happened yet. I have quit everything manually a couple of times to check the mdb file and error logs, and nothing has changed. It seems to be hanging after the initial connection.

Is there some way you can include a "Starter" mdb file with the plugin installer so we can at least get something showing in the scenes? I'm guessing the collector would not have as much trouble doing the auto updates from the "Starter" data base.

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:24 pm

Is the collector logging anything in the MLServer\Logs folder?

Are you saying that when you click start / run and enter the command

"C:\Program Files\MLServer\NetflixCollector.exe" /debug

that the program does not run full screen? If that is true then you are missing Windows DLLs or OCXs. I need to see this for myself. It is LogMeIn time.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:11 pm

PM sent

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:42 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the login ... the collector completed its dowload of data and all 10451 NetFlix movies are showing in ML (Of course I only have browsed a handful).

For anyone following this thread, my collector app was hanging because I had more than one instance of the app running, unknown to me. Probably from the original problem at the beginning of this thread. Anyway, Dave spotted it and reset. Once the collector app was started again, it chugged along for 5 hours and 15 mins downloading all the meta data and coverart. I have a really slow DSL internet connection averaging about 350 kbs, which explains the large download time. (working on it)

Dave, this is a really well-designed plugin! I think it's your best work to date. I do have some questions:

1) Please explain the "screening queue" filter. Is it supposed to hold cumulative filter searches? It is not performing like that for me. It seems to contain whatever search and/or filter results from only the last query. If you have "All Movies" set for a filter, then the screening queue contains all movies. I would expect it build upon each search or filter query so you could combine filters ... ie, all comedy genre films in the year 2010. Or, hand select movies and add/delete them to/from the screening queue. Is that what it's supposed to do? Also, the commands: MLNetflix|ClearScreeningQueue , MLNetflix|AddToScreening, MLNetflix|RemoveFromScreening and MLNetflix|ToggleScreening do not seem to be working.

2) How does "Viewing Preferences" work? Does "Recently Added" mean added to the screening queue, or added by Netflix to the maste database? If you choose "Recently Added", will you only see "recently Added" movies in browse mode, and will all filters apply only to "Recently Added" movies?

3) Does "Remote Control" require the MCE Agent? What does this command: MLNetflix|Power~Off do?

Ron

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:29 am

1) Please explain the "screening queue" filter.

The screening queue us meant to emulate the add to watch now queue that Netflix provides on their website. Since Canadian Netflix customers do not have a queue option I added it to the plugin. When you add a movie to the screen queue all it does is set a flag so that when you select the screening queue filter you'll see the movies you've marked for watching. This flag is only used in he screening queue filter. I thought everything working with the queue commands. I'll look at them again to make sure.

2) How does "Viewing Preferences" work?

Netflix makes changes to their online selections on a daily basis. Revently added is a way for you to see what movies and shows Netlix has recently added to their selections. It sorts on the date the movie was added to to local database. As of this time there is no way to "combine" filters. They are all single tasking right now.

3) Does "Remote Control" require the MCE Agent? What does this command: MLNetflix|Power~Off do?

No, The remote control scene is for controlling the Silverlight player that is embedded in the Netflix Agent. All playback is controlled by the NetflixAgent.exe program. The Silverlight player only supports a few commands that is why the remote control scene is so sparse. The Power~Off command simply closes the Silverlight player running in the Agent.

I have not finished the 1920x1080 scenes yet. Those are coming. The MCE Agent will control the 1920 scenes but not the 1024 scenes.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi Dave,

Have you had a chance to check on the "Screening Queue" commands? I can't get any of them to work. When I select "Screening Queue" from the filter menu, it returns the entire library of movies. When I select "Clear All Movies In Screen Queue" from the settings page, I still show all movies.

Since I can never empty the queue, I can't really tell if the other commands are working:

MLNetflix|AddToScreening, MLNetflix|RemoveFromScreening and MLNetflix|ToggleScreening.

Also, still confused about "Recently Added" filter. For instance, if NetFlix added 10 new movies to the database ... and my NetFlix Agent updated my movie database ... should the filter just show those 10 movies, or would it show the entire movie list, with the 10 new movies at the top of the list?

Ron

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Did not get to it yet. If not today then tomorrow.

Recently added is everything that was added within the last 30 days. Since it has been less than 30 days since the plugin was released it is returning the entire database sorted by date added in reverse.

Return to “MLNetflix”