MLNetflix 3.99.x

Discuss issues related to the MLNetflix plugin.
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: MLNetflix Enhanced

Postby ronsatter » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:24 pm

I deleted the old mdb files and re-initialized. All looks good now. I show 47 genres and 10,939 movies as of today. Close enough ...

Thanks Dave.
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks for all your help Dave…

I have another question now. I currently have connected Netflix via Sony PS3, and is working great. I want to be able to use the MainLobby plug-in and interface to control this. Via this way, I don’t have to tax my PC to play the movie since PS3 will be doing this work.

I tried adding another alias in Netflix plug-in and assign the IP Address of PS3 under “host”. I am not sure if this is how to do this (the plug-in is obviously not connecting to PS3 by doing this). I coulcn't see any related topic on Netflix (or other) forums.

Any ideas how to do this? Is it even possible?

Thanks so much.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:18 pm

As of right now controlling Netflix on your PS3 from MLServer is not possible. There would have to be some published protocol for communicating with the PS3 and their Netflix app and then the plugin would have to be modified to support it. Unless you are running MLServer on a very low powered CPU there is little overhead when playing Netflix movies. I see 5% CPU usage when streaming a Netflix movie.

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:35 pm

OK - makes sense, I thought so. Thanks again for the quick response. Hopefully there is a solution soon, but no big deal.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MLNetflix 3.99.x

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:55 pm

A new version of the Netflix suite of software has been released. Version 3.99.6 of the plugin adds the following:

1) A new Netflix Collector that no longer has to locally scrub the Netflix website. The local Netflix database is refreshed from the cached version of the Netflix database on our servers. The Netflix Collector now runs once per day at a user defined hour. It defaults to a 4 a.m. update.

2) There is new metadata available. You will now see the option to see "Similar Movies" on the movies details page. And if there is a movie trailer available you will be able to view the trailer in the client. (Requires WebLobby and the MLServer User web server enabled). The client scenes have been refreshed to display these new features. Because of the new metadata this release will overwrite your old database with the updated database. A complete database reload will take place the first time you launch the new plugin.

3) A new Netflix Agent has also been released. There is better control over the player now. New remote control function have been added to support Rewind, Forward and Focus. See the wiki pages for the syntax. There is still no reliable way to make the Netflix Silverlight player launch full screen so you will have to press the "Fullscreen" button when the movie starts to play.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Version 4.0.19 of the Netflix Agent has been released. This version does a lot better with launching the movie full screen and corrects an issue when doing a rewind or fast forward.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi Dave,

Nice work on the plugin update, especially the re-work on the collector app.

Unfortunately for me, I can't seem to get the latest version of the agent to be recogized by the plugin. I included a couple of screen shots to show the results after adding the agent. This agent is installed on the ML Server machine named MEDIACENTER. As you can see from the screen shots, the agent window header recognizes that it is running on MEDIACENTER, but the plugin has no host name and is not pinging the port. The server event log shows no errors. I have attempted to add/delete agents with no change. I un-installed/re-installed the plugin and the agent. No change.
Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Any ideas?

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Why is the Host entry blank in the plugin? It needs to have the PC name or ip address in it.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:05 pm

CinemarDave wrote:Why is the Host entry blank in the plugin? It needs to have the PC name or ip address in it.

Aha! I was going to ask you the same question. I thought that should be automatically populated by the plugin. Apparently not! I filled in the host name and bingo. Sorry for that ... I don't remember any instructions in the wiki regarding the manual entry of the host name/ip.

So now I can play a movie.

Next problem is with the trailer video playback. Here's a screenshot:
Image2.jpg

The requested url expects the html file to be located in the NetFlix folder which is in the MLServer folder. But the installer app placed the Netflix folder inside the HTML folder ... I'm not sure why, but that is where it ended up.
Image4.jpg

I tried changing the label in the MLWebWindow in the trailer scene to this:

http://{{server_servername}}/HTML/Netflix/Netflix.html~1

but that didn't fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Do you have the user web server enabled? This has to use the user web server on port 80 and not the system web server on port 6246. The installer put the files in the correct folder.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:35 pm

CinemarDave wrote:Do you have the user web server enabled? This has to use the user web server on port 80 and not the system web server on port 6246. The installer put the files in the correct folder.

OK. Again, did I miss this in the wiki instructions?

My default user web server port is 99. Should I change it to 80?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:41 pm

no just change the link in the netflix_layer_trailer.mls file and add the missing :99 to the url.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Bingo!
Image1.jpg

Trailer scene MLWeblobby window label was changed to this:

615~480~http://192.168.1.66:99/Netflix/Netflix.html~1 to include my user web server ip address and port number

Suggestions:

1. Update the wiki to clarify some of these setup instructions.

2. I noticed that if you restart ML Server, the movie play location is lost. You must go to the settings scene and select a client. Is there a way to save the last play location as default, or set a variable as part of the init command?

3. There is roughly a 5 second lag from the time the "Play Movie" button is tapped before you see or hear anything. That's the kind of thing that drives my family nuts. It causes lots of problems with impatient button pushers. I suggest some kind of alert that the movie will start in a moment, please wait.

4. The "Back To Browsing" button on the Silver Light Player doesn't return you to ML, it navigates to the browse page of the Netflix website. Is it possible to return to the ML "Netflix_Console_Details" scene of the currently selected movie? Unless you have the "View Windows Taskbar" option set in ML, you can't get back to ML at all. That alone is reason enough for my family to bypass the plugin completely and just stream the movie from the Netflix website.

BTW, the "More Like This" feature is weak. The suggested similar movies are sometimes hilarious, like this:
Image2.jpg

These are movies which are like "2001" Space Odessy. Funny Girl" and "Oliver" ... really 8)

On the positive side:
This is a very robust way to search for netflix movies. That's the strongest selling point for us. We love the filtering.
The integration of this plugin and ML scenes into the media family with MusicLobby, SatRadio and DVDLobby is excellent.

Ron

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:28 pm

>>>> 1. Update the wiki to clarify some of these setup instructions.

The wiki is public. anyone can makes edits to it.

>>>> 2. I noticed that if you restart ML Server, the movie play location is lost. You must go to the settings scene and select a client. Is there a way to save the last play location as default, or set a variable as part of the init command?

Are you saving server variables on shutdown? I don't think I clear that anywhere.

>>>> 3. There is roughly a 5 second lag from the time the "Play Movie" button is tapped before you see or hear anything.

Load times will vary depending on Internet bandwidth to Netflix. The Agent has to launch a copy of Internet Explorer to play the movie. If you have a lot of IE "features" turned on this will slow the launching of the movie.

>>>> 4. The "Back To Browsing" button on the Silver Light Player doesn't return you to ML

We have no control over that. That is a button that is on the Silverlight player. Nor do I have control over that web page so I cannot modify the page.

>>>> 4. Is it possible to return to the ML "Netflix_Console_Details" scene of the currently selected movie?

No. You cannot click anything on that page. You need to press the power button on the remote scene to turn off the SilverLight player.

>>>> 4. Unless you have the "View Windows Taskbar" option set in ML, you can't get back to ML at all.

Huh? Press the power button on the remote overlay. How are you using this plugin? Are you trying to watch the movie from the MainLobby client? If so you've got a major problem with the Silverlight player taking ownership of the screen.

>>>> 4. That alone is reason enough for my family to bypass the plugin completely and just stream the movie from the Netflix website.

Trying to run the MainLobby client and the SilverLight player on the same touchscreen is going to be a challenge. Is this what you are trying to do? The best playback experience is to run MainLobby from touch screen A and stream to media player B.

>>>> BTW, the "More Like This" feature is weak. The suggested similar movies are sometimes hilarious

I've got no control over this. These are the movies that Netflix suggests that are similar when you look at the movie details on their web page. Someone at Netflix has a sense of humor I guess.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:58 pm

If I remember right, Netflix hosted a "million dollar" challenge award to find the best algorithm for "you'll like movies like this".
Maybe they haven't incorporated the winning idea yet :)

Return to “MLNetflix”