I am trying to do this in the Index.html but not working

Forum for discussing building user interfaces for controlling MLServer using the iPhone or iPod Touch.
Blade
Expert
Expert

I am trying to do this in the Index.html but not working

Postby Blade » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:55 pm

I am trying to do this in the Index.html file but it does not seem to run the command map.

<li><a onclick="doMLCommand('Maslen.Music.Sirius');" href="Index.html#_sirius">Change Source To Sirius Radio</a></li>

It goes back to the right page but the doMLCommand does not appear to be running the command map.

Any ideas?

jjjukebox
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: I am trying to do this in the Index.html but not working

Postby jjjukebox » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Try:

<li><a onclick="doCommand('Maslen.Music.Sirius')" href="Index.html#_sirius">Change Source To Sirius Radio</a></li>

it is "doCommand " not "doMLCommand" and no ";" in there
J.J. Jukebox

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:27 am

Are you sure it is doCommand on the Index.html page. I do not see doCommand in the ui.js file which is what is being included in the Index.html file.
I do see doCommand in the iphone.js file but the Index.html does not use that file. I use doCommand a lot in all my other pages.

I just tried it and it did not work.
Here is what I tried:

<li><a onclick="doCommand('Maslen.Music.Sirius')" href="Index.html#_sirius">Change Source To Sirius Radio</a></li>

jjjukebox

Postby jjjukebox » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:47 am

my apologies

I dont use the ui.js at all only a customized iphone.js
J.J. Jukebox

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:53 am

Even the doMLCommand, which looks the same as the doCommand, does not seem to run a command map on the index.html page.

The mlcmd tag does not seem to run a command map either.
Not sure how to do it now.

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:34 am

Well I found out what the issue was...
This line runs fine:

<li><a mlcmd="Maslen.Music.Sirius" href="Index.html">Change Source To Sirius Radio</a></li>

But this one does not:

<li><a mlcmd="Maslen.Music.Sirius" href="Index.html#_sirius">Change Source To Sirius Radio</a></li>

The only difference is the #_sirius after the Index.html
No idea why this causes an issue.

wnl

Postby wnl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:32 pm

The onclick event handler handles the mlcmd property. There is a long if else chain in the handler, and the very first condition is:

Code: Select all

if (link.href && link.hash && link.hash != "#")

This first block gets run whenever the enclosing <a> contains an href with an anchor (link.hash != '#'), and the code that checks for mlcmd and calls doMLCommand never gets touched. Result: any <a> with an anchor in the href will have its mlcmd ignored. Very frustrating, but I haven't braved reworking this part of the code yet.

You can work around this problem by putting the <a> in a <span mlcmd="...">. I've done this in some parts of my index.html to get it to send a command and reposition elsewhere on the page. Example:

<span mlcmd="Theater.PowerOff"><a class="whiteButton" href="#home">All Off</a></span>

As for why a direct call to doMLCommand didn't work fro onclick, I'm not certain but I suspect it is because doMLCommand calls the open method of XMLHttpRequest in such away that the send does not wait for a response (second argument is false). Perhaps the immediate page load is deleting the XMLHttpRequest object before it gets a chance to send the request? Refer to this line:

xmlcmdui.open("GET", "/MLCMD?" + escape(aCmd), false);

wnl

Postby wnl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:38 pm

Blade wrote:<li><a mlcmd="Maslen.Music.Sirius" href="Index.html#_sirius">Change Source To Sirius Radio</a></li>

Try this:

<li><span mlcmd="Maslen.Music.Sirius"><a href="#_sirius">Change Source To Sirius Radio</a></span></li>

The span might mess up other formatting, but it should run the mlcmd. FYI: the href doesn't need to include "index.html" if it is on that page already. You only need the anchor (#_sirius).

Return to “iPhone / iPod Touch Beta”