outside of your own network, how you specify actual IP addy:

Forum for discussing building user interfaces for controlling MLServer using the iPhone or iPod Touch.
sdh1230

outside of your own network, how you specify actual IP addy:

Postby sdh1230 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:05 pm

I'm wondering if theres a way to specify your actual IP addess when you are outside of your own home network.
So lets say you are at starbucks and wish to control your home PC's ML server from your iphone.
You typically have the convention of http://192.168.1.3:80/iphone/movies.html

has anyone sucessfully been able to connect to their home PC to control MLserver from outside their home network?

so you'd put
http://youractualIP:80/iphone/movies.html , but theres got to be some type of authentications involved so the computer knows its you...

Any ideas?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:16 pm

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Check your firewall / "router" (like Linksys or whatever you have) for how to set the MLServer as a "DMZ". I think that's how they describe it (however inaccurate that may be by enterprise definitions).

Alternatively, search the support for the firewall / "router" maker; that should tell you.

sdh1230

NOIP

Postby sdh1230 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:34 pm

I got it working using NOIP.

thanks.

sdh1230

ooops, not working from oustide my network...

Postby sdh1230 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:59 pm

OK, so I registered with NOIP, installed the NOIP software on my server... and going to my servehttp URL on my Itouch I can get to my MLSERVER:
In other words, my Itouch runs dvdlobby no problem using the URL I setup.

However, if I try to hit tthe same URL outside my domain , the page does not load.

I'd imagine its a firewall of some sort, so I temporarily disabled the router and softwares firewalls with same outcome.

Any ideas why I cant hit the page from outside my network?

OH, and I started to try to configure IIS, but figured thats not needed the way we are setting this up...

Sean

cpeddicord

Postby cpeddicord » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:23 pm

If you have DSL Modem or a Cable Modem, a router and a server, the issue is that the IP belongs to your router and your server is typically assigned an IP on your internal network. So when no-ip send info to your IP, it makes it to the router then it doesn't have any idea where you want to send it.

An easy way to make it work, though maybe isn't the best idea from a security standpoint, is to go into your router and set up port forwarding.

1. Go on your server and get your internal IP

2. Go into your router and setup port forwarding for your Cinemar port to the IP:Port on your server.

3. Voila. When your router receives a packet on that port it will be forwarded to your server.

digitaltrader

Postby digitaltrader » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:50 am

Is there a way to provide password security for such a solution? Otherwise anyone could access your home automation setup.

sdh1230

thats exactly what was happening...

Postby sdh1230 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:49 pm

Yes, I had to go into the router itself and specify port forwarding to 8080.
Then I had to go into NOIP and do a forwarding for that IP from 80 to 8080 and it works now, I can hit the MLserver pages of my Iphone from any computer outside my network.

From a security standpoint I dont feel to secure. Any ideas of a software I can buy/run that will help me identify any security flaws I need to be fixing?

thanks.

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: outside of your own network, how you specify actual IP addy:

Postby T.Wells » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:46 am

Hello,

I am also trying to get no-ip to work for my iPhone content and I am not sure how to procced.

Can anyone offer me some tips on which fields need to be updated to get this working outside of my own home network? I have signed up for no-ip and inserted my ip address to my house.

In the MLServer options, network tab, there are two port fields and two port check boxes. Which port number should I use and which check boxes should be applied?

Thanks,
T.Wells

Return to “iPhone / iPod Touch Beta”