User Interfaces for the iPhone / iPod Touch Release Notes

Forum for discussing building user interfaces for controlling MLServer using the iPhone or iPod Touch.
cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:31 pm

Here I go again....buying cinemar products (PPC) and learning they are back burnered.....owning a blackberry (cause it works) instead of an iphone/itouch cause it's cool and getting "other browsers are not on our priority list"....

Unfortunately this is becoming too much of a common theme.....maybe you (Cinemar) should alert us in the public/private sector what's on your Christmas list so we can make the right choices in our future technology purchases.
ChrisB

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:39 pm

As DaveP mentions in an earlier post, the iPhone / iTouch is 90% of the basis of other browser's support.

I am sure it will not be restricted to just the iPhone. There are some very technically literate users that have the source of iPhone (it isn't a compiled plugin) and can modify to their hearts content and share the results.

SageTV HD Extenders are on my Xmas list - several of them :)

Funboy
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Funboy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:39 pm

This is for jcrack_corn and anyone else that has the lighting portion working.

I'm using UPB, and I setup a trigger similar to jcrack_corn, and it reads as:
whenever lighting_room1_load1_state equals 1
then MLServeCMD.MLLighting|On~006

There's an equivalent one for off. This works great as it toggles the lights appropriately.

But I needed a way to stay in sync when lights were turned on from MainLobby. So within the MLLighting control, I created commands that get fired with it recieves and On/off/Bright/Dim. The command I created simply updates the appropriate load variable.

The problem is that once MLLighting updates the appropriate load variable, my trigger kicks in, which then calls MLLighting, which then updates the variable, etc.

This becomes and endless loop and lights keep toggling.

How do I recognize an outside change to the status of my lights (outside meaning, not from the iPhone web interface)?

Sure hope this makes sense.
- Funboy

cborod

Postby cborod » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:56 pm

DavidL wrote:SageTV HD Extenders are on my Xmas list - several of them :)

figures.....i use beyond tv :D
ChrisB

"Round up the usual suspects."

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:06 pm

MLBeyondTV is there now :)

Where Ya Been? :)

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:54 pm

Ok I'm going to have lock this thread because we are so off topic. But one final word. Show of hands please for all users who routinely use the web browser on their BlackBerry because it is such an enjoyable experience. Yeah, I thought there would be that many.

And there is no way a PPC equates to a BlackBerry. So let's end the debate. We hear you are pissed off. We will add support for other modern phones. I'm not going to be purchasing a new BlackBerry any time soon. I have one now and I had the data service turned off because browsing was so painful. If someone wants to lend me a new Blackberry that supports wi-fi I am more than willing to port the iPhone web pages to your BlackBerry. Send me a PM if you want my address.

Now can we concentrate on the iPhone / iTouch experience here?

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:27 pm

This plugin looks awesome.
Now I just need to go out and buy an Ipod Touch :)
Very shortly

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:31 pm

blade, you will love it. well worth it, especially if it will be able to control house OUTSIDE of home.

Question: I saved a copy of all my iphone files so when I update to new version, it doesnt over write my special configs. Do I have to go in and edit all my special configs in the new index file? What is the easiest way to have the latest versions but still keep all my own programming? It will certainly be a pain to have to go in and edit every new version index. Make sense?

Thanks

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:39 pm

Bob, Apple sells remanufactured iTouch for (I think) $199 or so. Check Apple's website.

Also, Smarthome has some Insteon / iTouch packages (free iTouch with decent sized Insteon order).

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:46 pm

Ranger, while all these pages are still in development it will be hard to keep customizations in sync with new releases. I would suggest that you keep your production iPhone web pages in their own folder. HTML\myIPhone or something like that. Then you know that any new releases from Cinemar will not overwrite your hard work.

When we release a new update they will always go into the HTML\iPhone folder. You can copy and paste the differences in a new release into your custom pages.

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Thanks Dave, thats what I am doing now.

I imagine once in production, we wont have to redo anything with an upgrade to a new version like all the rest of the upgrades. I hope.

It rocks by the way. Love it. It just plain works. So far no glitches but havent messed with lighting too much yet.

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:31 pm

OK I snapped and bought an iTouch tonight :)
I bought the 32GB one. Now let the fun begin

sfreiman
Expert
Expert

Postby sfreiman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:39 pm

CinemarDave wrote:Ok I'm going to have lock this thread because we are so off topic. But one final word. Show of hands please for all users who routinely use the web browser on their BlackBerry because it is such an enjoyable experience. Yeah, I thought there would be that many.

And there is no way a PPC equates to a BlackBerry. So let's end the debate. We hear you are pissed off. We will add support for other modern phones. I'm not going to be purchasing a new BlackBerry any time soon. I have one now and I had the data service turned off because browsing was so painful. If someone wants to lend me a new Blackberry that supports wi-fi I am more than willing to port the iPhone web pages to your BlackBerry. Send me a PM if you want my address.

Now can we concentrate on the iPhone / iTouch experience here?

Another charming customer-facing experience

windrockwater

Postby windrockwater » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:46 am

Blade,
i too snapped and bought one. The pages are working fine and the dvdlobby works as it is supposed to. The cover images are a little small. Well very small. But the screen is sharp and it works. The musiclobby works too. In a simple way.

I hope that i can create a text list of movies also instead of just the cover images. I cant imagine typing an email on an itouch or iphone. Pure torture after using a blackberry for years. If the itouch was about 3x as big it would be an INCREDIBLE controller. But for now its a pretty neat remote control and photo viewer. Its so freaking thin i keep dropping it with my big hands.

It shuts off very quickly (and boots quickly) which seems good for keeping power working throughout a movie.
-Sean

cadillackid

Postby cadillackid » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:49 pm

ok this is great as a demo but am trying to make this work in a real world scenerio... I was thinking that each button press would be able to link to an MLServecmd easily and im finding this difficult to do... since I am using ML as my front end for a Homeseer system.. I simply want a button to turn a light on or off by sending the command of my choice.. and of course displaying a variable of my choice.. how can I accomplish this? i am not controlling any hardware with my ML.. just using it to read and write through the Homeseer plugin....
-Christopher

Return to “iPhone / iPod Touch Beta”