User Interfaces for the iPhone / iPod Touch Release Notes

Forum for discussing building user interfaces for controlling MLServer using the iPhone or iPod Touch.
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

User Interfaces for the iPhone / iPod Touch Release Notes

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:51 pm

08/29/2008 Version 0.0.0.2
1) Added "Home" icon to all pages off the main navigator
2) Added pages that demo MLEnergyManagement using the T.E.D. monitor device.
3) Enlarged the icons on the MusicLobby demo.

08/23/2008 Version 0.0.0.1 - Initial Beta

We are pleased to release the next generation of sample pages for controlling MLServer using your iPhone or iPod Touch. You will find this release in the beta section of the Cinemar Installation Assistant. This release is still a web application. A future release will introduce a native iPhone application that will be running full screen.

Once downloaded this software will install into the MLServer\HTML\iPhone folder on your MLServer PC. You must also enable the built in user web server in MLServer. After installing this software you should point your iPhone web browser to http://<<YOUR MLSERVER IP ADDRESS>>/iphone/index.html to bring up the main menu. Note: If your MLServer user web server is not using the default web server port 80 then you need to specifiy the port in the URL as follows: http://<<YOUR MLSERVER IP ADDRESS>>:<<SERVER PORT>>/iphone/index.html. A real world example would look like

http://192.168.1.10/iphone/index.html or
http://192.168.1.10:82/iphone/index.html

The following Cinemar applications are showcased in this release.
1) MusicLobby
2) DVDLobby
3) WeatherLobby
4) XMLobby
5) Security Cameras
6) Security Keypad
7) Lighting Controls
8) Thermostat controls
9) EnergyManagement Monitoring
10) Universal Remotes

The HTML pages should basically work once installed. A lot of attention has been spent on making the HTML readable and easy to modify. The MLServer commands to control generic devices have not been embedded into the HTML. Rather generic command maps have been defined. After the install you will see a host of new iRemote* command maps. To customize the HTML pages for your environment all you need to do is edit the MLServer commands in the command maps. You should not have to spend a lot of time trying to understand HTML and Javascript.

You will also find over 1400 PNG graphics in the images folder that will give you lots of options for designing your own custom web pages.

Here are a series of screen shots showing the web pages that are in this release.

Image #1 - Shows the Main menu and the About screens.

Image #2 - Takes you to Music highlighting MusicLobby and XMLobby. Note that the current plugins limit the amount of control we have in these scenes.

Image #3 - Takes you to Movies highlighting DVDLobby

Image #4 - Takes you to Weather

Image #5 - Takes you to Security showing how to view IP Cameras and
simulates a security keypad (HAI in this release).

Image #6 - Takes you to Environment controls highlighting lighting and thermostat controls.

Image #6a - Takes you to the EnergyManagement pages.

Image #7 - Takes you to various examples of Universal Remotes that can be built.

As always post your comments and questions here. Unlike the previous release of the demo this software will continue to be enhanced as it matures into a native iPhone applications.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CinemarDave on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jcrack_corn

Postby jcrack_corn » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:01 pm

Ok, awesome....tell me if I'm doing this as efficiently as possible.

I have ISY99 to control my insteon, and it is linked to ELK -- elk controls most of the house through relays. Mainlobby Server/Client is the frontend only and nothing is actually controlled by the MLServer Box (ie, i wanted everything through ELK for highest reliablity.

SO.....in ML Server I simply created the following Automation Rules:

whenever lighting_room1_load1_state equals 0
then MLServeCmd.MLELKM1|PF~A~2

And

whenever lighting_room1_load1_state equals 1
then MLServeCmd.MLELKM1|PN~A~2

Is that the best way to do it....it works flawlessly and control is instantaneous.

Very very happy with this...

---------------------

edit: question....how do i get the iphone to update if a light is manually turned on....I did create rule to that when ELK load A2 = On to setvar lighting_room1_load1_state equals 1 but that did not update the button on the webpage?

Edit2: I looked at the javascript and saw my problem....So my final is I'm using 4 rules per lighting load

2 rules are as above that send commands to Elk to toggle light on or off
2 rules are to monitor Elk lighting load states and set variables that iphone.js is looking for so that the web-buttons update correctly.

(i will add stuff later to allow dim/brighten...want basic functionallity now)

Is that the correct/efficient way to do it? Thanks!

and wife loves it!

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:15 pm

Got this working. Nice, but its much different than yours. Maybe I am not seeing all the proper docs.

I have:

Music
Movies
Weather
Security
Lighting

The only ones that works when clicked are Movies and Weather. However, I do not have dvdlobby working and only have the default movies loaded. Thus, trying to play a movie locks up mls for a while but eventually releases.

When I click on Weather, I getmy local forcast and a map. If i click on the green arrow to go forward it doesnt do anything. After that, MLS locks up and needs rebooted.

Wiki says:

to configure the Home Page, open the c:\program files\mlserver\HTML\iPhone\Index.html webpage in a text editor like Notepad :

Find this line in the code:
<li><a href="#music">Music</a></li>

I dont see that line of code in my index.html. Where should it be, elsewhere? This is VERY exciting to see.

Also, this is to work only on my home network? It would be more useful if i can access this from outside the home. Is there a way to do this, if not will there be? Its a HUGE value OUTSIDE the home. I see no use to watch movies on iphone while at home.

How are you getting the screen shots you posted?

Where are the 1400 pngs? I only see about 70 or so in my iphone\images file.

First issue is to keep mls from locking up after looking at weather.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:12 am

Ranger, you are not using the latest. Not sure if the latest is included in the current MLServer or if you have to get a special beta download.

TCassio
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby TCassio » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:18 am

Having problems with DVDLobby. It works but the last row of thumbnails on every page are blank. If you click on the bland box, it pulls it the proper movie?????

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:41 am

david, ok went to public beta in mlinstaller and found:

Mainlobby for the iPhone.

Got it now. thanks.

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:52 am

Super.

Weather pulls up good. All cities I have in my weatherlobby come up. When I click on the green arrow above any map, it locks up.

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Link to iPhone Wiki docs

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:57 am

Wiki iphone docs. Click on : 1 To Use the iPhone / iTouch Web Pages

http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/wiki ... Web_Server

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:06 am

In the WeatherLobby plugin (latest version) do you have your Images tab setup? Mine works fine.

BTW, the wiki docs are very immature and may also be wrong. So, use with caution.

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:07 am

David, if it works in ml, its set up right, correct?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:08 am

verify you are using MLWeatherLobby 3.0.134

Ranger Home Automation
Expert
Expert

Postby Ranger Home Automation » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:38 am

After choosing one of my music ones it goes to the right zone, when you click on "zones" (top left corner) it should take you back to your zones list. It does not, it goes back to Music Choices, not my zones choices.

Also, there is no pause button. I will add one and I need to make the tiny buttons much bigger.

Davidl, it turns out I do have an issue with my NEXT in weatherlobby. I will fix it. Thanks.
Last edited by Ranger Home Automation on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sfreiman
Expert
Expert

Postby sfreiman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:43 am

First, I will say that overall I love the Cinemar products and have been using them for years. With that said, I have to admit I am VERY disappointed that Pocket PC support was abandoned, especially after investing in several Cinemar PPC applications. I'm so disgusted over this that I have abandoned my PPC Phone for a Blackberry. I just can not stand iTunes and the iPhone and the whole Apple business model.

The right thing for Cinemar to do would be to give the PPC application purchasers a Cinemar credit toward future purchases. The PPC app's are basically useless at this point, with Mobile 6.0+ development and all.

I agree that Cinemar has every right to choose the development path of their choice. However, I do not think customers who bought products in good faith should be left in the dust and out their money as a result.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:50 am

The methods being developed here should provide a basis for any browser based deployment which includes CE.

Currently the iPhone stuff is Safari specific, but foundationally it can be leveraged greatly.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:46 am

I also must say that I mostly agree with the viewpoint above, although I do like Apple and some of the items.

I as well am the proud owner of all the PPC applications as provided by Cinemar years ago, and at an investment of several hundred dollars. They no longer work as they were not kept up to date with the advancements of CE or ML/MLS.

You must keep in mind that many of us simply will not make the move to an iPhone until the AT & T licensing issue is over three years from now.

All of my company and personal communications are done with Verizon, which precludes me from changing anything. The only option I have is to go purchase an iTouch, which I can just not bring myself to do.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “iPhone / iPod Touch Beta”