HTML 5 Support for iPhone/iPad Widgets and Mult Platforms

Forum for discussing building user interfaces for controlling MLServer using the iPhone or iPod Touch.
DanielSiegel
Intermediate
Intermediate

HTML 5 Support for iPhone/iPad Widgets and Mult Platforms

Postby DanielSiegel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:22 am

I am neither an HTML nor iPhone/iPad programmer, but have been experimenting with the existing iPhone/iPad scenes that come with ML Server 4, essentially cutting and pasting from those scenes to extract some desired functionality.

I have 2 general questions relating to these web apps.

1. Will any HTML 5 work with MLServer 4?
For example, if I can locate some HTML 5 functions that access iPhone/iPad widgets (e.g., for volume sliders, scroll wheels, etc), will they simply work as is?
If not, how do I determine which widgets are supported?

2. If I want to design some scenes for iPhone, iPad and web clients, can I utilize "core" HTML functions, and then customize only those functions that relate to the screen layout for each client? Any pointers to some existing HTML pages that have done this?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HTML 5 Support for iPhone/iPad Widgets and Mult Platform

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:00 pm

1. Will any HTML 5 work with MLServer 4?
For example, if I can locate some HTML 5 functions that access iPhone/iPad widgets (e.g., for volume sliders, scroll wheels, etc), will they simply work as is?
If not, how do I determine which widgets are supported?

Yes and No. Yes, any HTML 5 code will work. However, unless you augment the code with the unique attributes that MLServer needs to interpret things like server variables and click events nothing will work. You can take generic volume slider code as a starting point but you will have to integrate that code so that it tracks the server variables and MLServer commands required to control the volume on the device. Same holds true for any other code snippets you would want to use.

I've tried to keep as much of the sample iPad scenes as modular as possible so that you can lift bits out of the scenes and reuse them.

2. If I want to design some scenes for iPhone, iPad and web clients, can I utilize "core" HTML functions, and then customize only those functions that relate to the screen layout for each client?

Yes, completely doable.

Any pointers to some existing HTML pages that have done this?

Study all of the sample scenes. Start with a simple scene. Do not use a WYSIWYG HTML editor like DreamWeaver. It will totally destroy the html code. Instead use a simple text editor like NotePad++ or something similar. I use the open source Eclipse development environment but that is overkill. Concentrate on looking at small sections of the HTML. Almost every object on the sample scenes are encapsulated in <SPAN></SPAN> blocks. If you look at the code in the span block and compare it to an element on a Mainlobby scene you'll start to see the common elements. Once you master a span block then you pretty much have full control. The really tricky bits are when you have to resort to JavaScript code to get some of the dynamic updating done. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

DanielSiegel
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: HTML 5 Support for iPhone/iPad Widgets and Mult Platform

Postby DanielSiegel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Great. Thanks very much.

Return to “iPhone / iPod Touch Beta”