Wireless Router Suggestions

Whatever you want to discuss
sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Wireless Router Suggestions

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:51 pm

My current router a Netgear unit has started giving me problems where I can connect to all my internal computers, but they can't connect to the internet. So I contacted Comcast and got their new wireless gateway, a Cisco DPC3941T, which for the most part is working OK, but I can't access the router setup through 10.0.0.1. (which I got from Cisco's website, and not Comcast).I can connect once if I power cycle the unit, but after making a change the unit times out trying to reconnect. I was looking for either a possible fix for this problem, as comcast has been no help, one of their suggestions was I had too many devices connected, or suggestions on a good wireless unit with LAN plugs for my wired computers.

Thank you.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: Wireless Router Suggestions

Postby DavidL » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:56 am

sounds like you are changing IP or domain which when the change takes effect - you can't connect to it.
Double check you are putting the new device on the same network as all of your other devices.
Is the wireless on the same domain as the wired?
consider restoring the device back to default (there might be a Reset button on the back that is pushed during powerup?) and double check your settings.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:21 pm

Thanks Dave, I don't think I am changing the IP or the domain, but I will check next chance I get. I am able to connect to it when I cycle to the power to it, but just once. After I try to do something, like reserve an address for one or more of my devices, I am then unable to connect to it again.

For the most part I am happy with the gateway, as Comcast calls it, but if I can't adjust the setings it is worthless to me.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:59 pm

Did you call comcast and have them change your gateway to "bridged mode?"

Their wireless gateways act as routers and hide behind the external IP, which means your Netgear will never get to see anything but the address the gateway gives it which is usually a 10.x.x.x address.

ie - if the wifi light on the comcast gateway is on, no router will ever work after it.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:34 pm

I don't know if this gateway just took time to get going the way it should, but I was able to access all the features and change whatever settings I needed to. But today I think the unit bit the dust. The house phone rang, but no one was there, so I tried rebooting the gateway by removing the power for about a minute, and after powering it up, the only lights that came back on were the power and the 2.4 and 5 wifi lights. I put my old modem and router back in service to give the family internet, but still no phone. Going to return the gateway tomorrow for another one, as I was impressed with the range on the wifi. I don't really want to buy a gateway from say Amazon, because it if goes bad we are left with no internet while we wait for a replacement. I have a Comcast location right up the street. But being on night work this week I won't get to look into why the phone quit. And in my opinion their "techs" are terrible. I had one tell em I had too many devices on my network....

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:47 am

You may have multiple issues going on. I can tell with with absolute certainty, you cannot use the wireless on the comcast gateway AND use your own router. You would have to "dumb down" the comcast gateway (losing wifi and entering bridged mode) or use the comcast as your only router. Comcast will not tell you this, but let you pull out your hair for a while.

I have seen some flaky gateway boxes; my dad had to have his replaced due to losing internet at random times.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Art,

Thanks, but I am not using both as I needed to replace my old modem from Comcast with a newer one to take advantage of the speeds that they are offing, and I was having issues with the Netgear unit allowing me to use my internal network, but not connect to the internet. So when Comcast sent me their new modem, since it does everything in one box, I disconnected the Netgear unit. I don't know if this will fix my problems because the unit I have seems to have died, and I need to hook up the new one this weekend.

Sorry if I caused confusion as to what I was running. The Comcast gateway seems like a good unit, I just haven't had it up long enough to see. If this one acts up I guess I have to call Comcast out, and I can only image what they will say is wrong. (All my stuff not theirs....)

Return to “Whatever!”