NAS Server Suggestions

Whatever you want to discuss
sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

NAS Server Suggestions

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:07 am

I would like to get started with putting my videos, music and pictures on a network server, and frankly, I am not sure what requirements I should be looking at to get it to work well with MLServer and its apps. I am looking at ones with built in media servers and others that don't. Also, what size should I think about? If I start out with say 8TB, can I set it up in a RAID format? And if so, what type? And then can I add to the storage later, and again if so, would I loose my data when the drives are reconfigured?

Sorry for all the questions, but with so many options out there, I would like to get something that I know will work with MLServer, and not leave me screwed later if I try to upgrade it.

Thank you.

randyf

Re: NAS Server Suggestions

Postby randyf » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:42 am

I have MLServer running on a Windows 7 box and I also have an unRAID server setup to hold my movies, music, and other files, and this combination has worked out well for me. unRAID is not a true RAID system but provides similar benefits - you can potentially lose 1 disk in the array and have it rebuilt without losing data. You can also set this up on a variety of different hardware and it doesn't have to be very powerful. You can start out with a certain storage size and expand it later as needed without losing anything. I have 10TB of storage currently and with about 350 movies (both SD and BD), I'm only using 4TB at the moment. Depending on the unRAID license you get, you can have up to 24 drives, all of different capacities, that make up your total storage array. So you could start out using various components for the initial server and add on as necessary. More details on unRAID can be found on the Lime Technology web site here: http://lime-technology.com/what-is-unraid/

This solution might not be for everyone but I like it due to the flexibility it provides and I haven't had any problems with it. I'm not affiliated with unRAID, just a happy user.

Randy

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NAS Server Suggestions

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Our MLData data servers are built using UnRAID as the OS too. It's a really good NAS solution. My unRAID server has a mix of 4TB and 2TB drives with a total of 14TB of usable space. I have a little over 2,000 movies and 1,000 albums stored on the server along with my backups. I'm using 12TB of the space right now. Since I brought that server online in 2010 I've had one disc failure and have been slowing migrating from 1TB drives to 2TB drives to 4TB drives. Knocking on wood I've never lost a single byte of data. Highly recommended. Roll your own or buy a Turnkey data server from us.

Return to “Whatever!”