Whatever you want to discuss
sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

How does this affect hard disc servers?

Postby sonypoolplr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:52 am

I found this post on the internet today,

https://torrentfreak.com/companies-with ... it-140314/

It appears that it is possible that eventually the copying/ripping to HD might be going away. I don't know if I want to continue with my project of moving over to a HD format for movies if I won't be able to continue to copy my movies onto the HD.

Any thoughts from anyone?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How does this affect hard disc servers?

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:27 am

According to U.S. law making any kind of backup copy of your DVDs or Blu-Rays is illegal because it violates the copy protection that is on those discs. The Chinese company behind DVDFab has recently come under attack by the Movie Industry lawyers. Basically because they made a huge mistake when setting up the business. They used U.S. based hosting and service providers. That left them open to attack. They have since moved everything back to China. They have stopped selling DVDFab but are now selling a new product called BluFab that may or may not be DVDFab just renamed. Still a lot of moving parts there and we'll have to see how that all shakes out. Slysoft (AnyDVD) has done things right from the beginning. They set up shop in Antigua and use native hosting providers. Antigua does not have copyright laws. Only time will tell if they will be subject to attack too. It's a lot more difficult for them because they are not breaking any laws in their native country.

Should you stop? I.M.O. no. You own the product you should be able to do what you want with it. All this litigation will do is extend the game of whack-a-mole. If they shut down one company all it does it move its business to a new location and opens up the next day under a new name. It took Fengtao (DVDFab) one day to move everything back into China.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:41 am

So to use AnyDVD or DVDFab? Both stop working after the trial period and neither are cheap. I think that the movie companies should put out their movies with a code inside that allows the purchaser to copy the movie to their computer. It isn't the perfect solution, but like you said, we bought the movies, we should be allowed to copy them.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:05 am

Since you do not presently own DVDFab your only option right now is AnyDVD HD. The DVDFab servers are not accepting purchases from non-China IP addresses at the moment. So right now it is impossible to purchase BluFab. Also, BluFab can no longer decrypt copy protected discs according to the last announcement on their forum. Still a lot of confusion there and no one from Fengtao is saying anything official. Just a lot of speculation.

fcwilt

Postby fcwilt » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:55 pm

My licensed copy of DVDFab no longer is working for me.

I think it has to contact the DVDFab servers for something and I'm guessing that connection is being blocked because of the litigation.
Regards, Frederick C. Wilt

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:04 pm

You have to manually download the latest version from the DVDFab.cn servers. Once you do that it will know how to phone home again. Or set your hosts file so that DVDFab.com points to the ip address of DVDFab.cn.

fcwilt

Postby fcwilt » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:45 pm

I have downloaded two new versions from the .CN site - but neither has worked - the program starts and there is a message about accessing the server but then nothing - just sits there.
Regards, Frederick C. Wilt

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:59 pm

You'll have to do research, but it appears that content from iTunes is all digital. I was able to download the media for some movies and store them on my local drive for replay.

Return to “Whatever!”