Windows XP End

Whatever you want to discuss
sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Windows XP End

Postby sonypoolplr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:06 am

With XP no longer being supported and updated by Microsoft in April, I am thinking about upgrading my MLServer XP unit to Win 7. Is this something that is really needed? Will my XP system be vulnerable to hacks without the updates? If I do decide to update, what should I do in regards to MLServer before I start the process? Will my licenses work when I reload MLServer?

Thank you

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows XP End

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:59 am

What follows is only one man's opinion.

I am thinking about upgrading my MLServer XP unit to Win 7. Is this something that is really needed?

No. With nearly 500 million PCs still running Windows XP it is in Microsoft's best interest to try to convince you that the world will be coming to an end if you do not update your OS.

Will my XP system be vulnerable to hacks without the updates?

If no humans touch the PC it will run forever just fine. Certainly the hacker wanna bees will try to exploit any remaining security holes in the old OS. But the reality is that your XP machine is sitting behind your router's firewall. No one on the Internet is going to be able to reach into this machine and play with it. (Unless you already have other 3rd party remote control software running on it then you are open to any holes that might be in that 3rd party software). If the PC is routinely used by family members for browsing the web then by all means upgrade to Win 7. If this PC is a dedicated MLServer PC then XP will be fine up until the PC dies from old age.

If I do decide to update, what should I do in regards to MLServer before I start the process?

Do a Backup from within MLServer. Copy the entire Cinemar folder off the PC to a safe location. Then you can upgrade the OS to Win 7. After the upgrade you will install SQL and MLServer. Then copy the old saved Cinemar folder back to the new Cinemar folder. Then do a Restore of the last Cinemar backup. After that you can install the remaining apps and drivers that you need and you'll be back in business. It will take about 3-5 hours to upgrade to Win 7 depending on your Internet speed since there is nearly a gigabyte of patches that will need to be downloaded and installed. Then about 30 minutes to get MLServer back running again.

Will my licenses work when I reload MLServer?

Yes, License keys are universal and are tied to the application. The activation codes are tied to the CPU serial number on your motherboard. So the keys will be the same on both OSs.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Thank you Dave.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:33 pm

(Unless you already have other 3rd party remote control software running on it then you are open to any holes that might be in that 3rd party software).

Dave does this also refer to the Team Viewer software that is sometimes needed incase you need to look into a problem that we are having? If so, is there a way to lower the possible damage that this software could cause?

Thanks

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Only turn on TeamViewer when you want me to get into the PC to look at something.

Return to “Whatever!”