Remote controls

Whatever you want to discuss
ggraef

Remote controls

Postby ggraef » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:16 pm

With ML controlling a theater (e.g. selecting a source device), the question of remote controls comes up. A universal remote would be nice, except it would not know what device ML has chosen, and would therefore require the user to select the device (and potentially cause user confusion because universal remotes like to set inputs which causes HDMI sync delays--and some people just can't not push buttons :). Has anyone found an interesting solution with hard buttons (i.e. not touchscreen)? I'd rather not do remote -> ML -> source device, but that appears to be the only way.

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Remote controls

Postby greyt » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:01 am

I used to face the same challenge. The only good solution I ever found was the Philips Pronto range of controls that have hard buttons and has wifi to integrate it into Mainlobby. These are now discontinued though.

I carry IR around the house using Russound controllers - I did try using a USBUIRT interface and generated my own IR database which worked pretty well (standard IR commands seemed to be erratic), but again this wasn't 100% reliable.

I was always interested in the overlay that Crestron did for the Ipad, that has hard buttons on the side of the device - but I have never seen a 3rd party option for this.

I have finally moved onto the Nexus 7, but this is all touchscreen, after giving up on a hard button solution.
Last edited by greyt on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:54 am

Yes,
What the world needs is a nice Windows 7 based tablet with a series of programmable hard buttons on it. :)

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm

ggraef wrote:With ML controlling a theater (e.g. selecting a source device), the question of remote controls comes up. A universal remote would be nice, except it would not know what device ML has chosen, and would therefore require the user to select the device (and potentially cause user confusion because universal remotes like to set inputs which causes HDMI sync delays--and some people just can't not push buttons :). Has anyone found an interesting solution with hard buttons (i.e. not touchscreen)? I'd rather not do remote -> ML -> source device, but that appears to be the only way.

What are you trying to control with your IR remote in the theater?

I have my IR commands routed back to a USBUIRT which then translates the IR codes into meaningful MLServeCmd's and it works very well. Any IR devices that I have, the IR codes are sent directly to those devices.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

EUROTECH

Postby EUROTECH » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:56 pm

RTI has the T3-V+, which is not allowed in our hands. LOL. It has a touchscreen and hardbuttons, so you might be able to pull up your pages and use IR for volume up/down etc. I don't know what OS is running on the touchscreen though. I am currently in the same situation. I love the scenes and the frontend of MainLobby on the iPad for choosing a movie/song, but I have a hard time messing with the ipad to ff/rwd/skip/pause etc. Its always nice to have that tactile feel and just let your fingers roll over the buttons. I tried the NevoS70 but the touchscreen was not capable of running any of the html for MainLobby (picture HP PDA running Pocket PC with hard buttons). There is another company out there (I don't want to post their name as they might be considered competition and I don't want to step on anyones toes), that uses an iTouch encased in a remote with hardbuttons. The buttons are programmable, and I was willing to purchase 1 piece and dissect it to see how to use it with MainLobby. Unfortunately numerous emails went back and forth and I was never able to follow up. But a new generation of remote does need to be built for custom home automation/theaters. Everything now is for the large "boxed" companies. Great topic to post on.

Eurotech

kgingerich
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgingerich » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:31 pm

I use the universal remote control mx-980 remotes throughout my house which send rf commands back to the msc-400 controller. The msc-400 has an IR out cable which I plug into the IR in on a usbir6 to give mainlobby commands. The lack of an actual IR emitter anywhere in the chain makes it extremely reliable. It's a slight chore to program the msc-400 but in the end you get an actual remote which can be made to do anything in the house. Touchscreens are awesome but real remotes will always have their place in my home.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:59 am

I use RTI remotes, but I'm a dealer and have the cabability to program them. I wrote a driver for for the RTI XP processors to talk to MLServer over Telnet. Works great, I can control and get feedback on the remotes and inwall controllers. You need an XP processor to make it work though which adds cost.

Return to “Whatever!”