Update time?

Whatever you want to discuss
gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Update time?

Postby gregoryx » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Looking for some feedback. I've been lurking... waiting for v4 to get mature enough to be worth the trouble of dumping my old work. I hope some of you will give me some feedback.

Here's what's actually in USE in my HA/AV/ML world:
- XM Radio
- Music Lobby (using J. River on the back-end)
- Caller ID

Here's what I'm HAVE in my HA/AV/ML world:
- Elk M1G with goodies (including my irrigation control, motions, etc)
- 60+ Insteon devices with ISY-99i
- XM / Sirius old-school USB player (and streaming license)
- 30K+ tracks of music in APE / FLAC / MP3
- 2K+ movies in ISO and .IFO / folder formats played on HDX-1080 NMT
- Serial-attached CallerID device
- Axis security cameras
- SlinkE IR
- Russound CAV6.6
- Windows and Android touch-screen tablets

Basically, as things ceased to work over time - like DVD Lobby never working with NMTs with ISOs, etc - the coolness factor has slipped off and the only things still in use are XM and Music. So... getting those two working... easy enough?

What about the rest? Will the ISY work? SlinkE? Elk?

What's the hot ticket for playing movies at this point? Other than a PC - I prefer to use an appliance of some sort.

Anything else I'm missing? Anything cool I should spend some money on that I'm unaware of because I've ignored it?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Update time?

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:16 pm

The only thing we cannot handle in the V4 world is the SlinkE and the NMT boxes. I have no way of re-compiling the legacy MLSlinke plugin to make it compatible with V4 and the NMT boxes never provided good control from a HA point of view and since there was no standardization with them it was too difficult to try to pick the ones suitable for integration. Perhaps, they have matured. It's been a while since we've look at them.

EUROTECH

Postby EUROTECH » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:14 pm

As a user of V4 for some time, I can tell you that the ISY (about 30 devices) works flawlessly. ELK when I tried it worked as well. I haven't decided on purchasing it, as I have the new touch panels that they released and they work well for now. I have nothing on the elk but security and the ISY lighting. I am using arc soft TMT5 on pc's for media playback and can confirm that playback is always consistent, though I use the blueray folder structure and not iso's. HTH

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:20 pm

I figured the SlinkE was pretty much past it's time.

Are there ANY appliances for movie playback being supported? I'll purchase something new and re-process all the ISOs to file folders if that's what it takes. If not, I guess the old HTPC method is the only approach?

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 am

Wow - You are still alive! Good to see you.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:27 am

Are there ANY appliances for movie playback being supported?

Not at this time. Why? No one has asked for it. If you were to find one that has the capability to be remotely controlled via IP then we could write an AV device driver to support it. All of the NMT devices expect to be the controller not the slave. So they have limited external control except for emulating remote control button pushes. The biggest feature they lack is the ability to send a command to the device to simply play a file. It could be that new generation devices have more advanced capabilities but a quick scan of the NetworkedMediaTank forums did not uncover any positive results. For less than $500 you can get an ASUS Eee Box or and Acer Veriton or a host of similar compact PCs and get a lot more functionality.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:23 pm

DaveB wrote:Wow - You are still alive! Good to see you.

Great to be here, as always; and great to see you still here. I keep lurking... waiting for things to be different enough to be worth the trouble to re-build everything. Looks like we're just about there. I don't expect to be the pioneer this time; just to use everything all you experts have done.

What's your experience with movies, DaveB? HTPC the only way to go still?

CinemarDave, thanks for clarifying. And great to see you're still here as well. ;) I think the world has moved more toward the set-top-box as the FOCUS of the HA environment, so I guess I'm looking for something that went the way of the DVD changers. (Speaking of which, I have two more CX777ES units sitting here that I'm selling. :))

HTPC it is, I guess!

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi Greg -
I have been around in circles with this exact issue and ended up with an HTPC with NAS for the DVD's. I now once more manage the DVD library with Cinemar and a tablet. Great library management improvements from what you will remember. There is still issues with command latency for VLC Player at times due to all of the moving parts required. I always blame this on Windows. I have tried the on screen method of control and just prefer a tablet.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:13 pm

Sigh... HTPC it is. It's all that "moving parts" stuff that drove me crazy the last couple of times. I did the TheaterTek approach - which worked pretty well when it worked - and tried ZoomPlayer and others to see if anything would be reliably consistent as changers. Nothing was. Sounds like nothing is. NMTs sure work well; but lack of external commands is a PITA for sure.

I'll search the NMT world for alternatives once more. It sure seems like a simple interpreter script on the Linux NMT would allow passing of information to cause it to load whatever files in ANY format. People have it working with web interfaces running ON the NMTs; ought to be able to pass the information that way at least. But I am personally not up to the scripting at this point. Ugh.

Probably time to find a quality 40-foot DVI or HDMI for the projector; that was part of the problem last round as HTPC went.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 pm

DaveB - expand on latency. I'm seeing response times controlling VLC that are too quick to measure. Way under 1 second.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:38 pm

I think it is my server. I use an iPad, command routes through the MLS machine then over the network to the HTPC then to VLC. It, at times, is getting a delay someplace. I need to look into it further. At times, it is vary fast.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

ccharmatz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby ccharmatz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Ok, so I am finally about to try and go v4, Gregory did you finally make the jump?

I guess it will finally be time to retire the slink-e. But I am most curious as to which player route I should go. I have 4k SD movies on a NAS, which play very well with theatertek. Additionally I have about 800 blueray on a different Nas, currently unused as I never upgraded from theatertek, so I keep both versions.

What is the best option I have 4 player boxes currently all running totalmedia. Do I upgrade these and make them TMT5? Sometimes I miss my changers i originally got the slink-e to control.

Looks like I should probably finally stop using mllighting as well and go ISY.

Charles. (hates change, but really hates the wife bugging him when he "breaks the house")

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Arcsoft 5 or VLC will do fine with all your movies.

We have native V4 Insteon driver. Soon we'll have a native V4 ISY driver too. So ultimately you'll want to go with the Lighting family and keep everything in the V4 world.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks for that, Dave. I've been slowly testing things but holding off on the move until all the bits and pieces seem totally ready for the new versions. The idea of going back to an HTPC from the appliance model is still holding me back. That and the thought of wading through the new music system (I actually LIKE the J River model, though I like the new graphics and stuff).

When I've played with the new music stuff, it's pretty. And the satellite radio is pretty too - though the sample screens leave a bit to be desired... and I'm not looking forward to re-working them, really.

I /really/ want all the bits to work independent of the ML world - with ML as the controlling overlay; so the new "we control it all" focus is something I have to get over, I guess.

Today, my control is a mix of Elk M1G / ISY / ML and IR for the HDX (because ISOs don't work). I started converting all the ISOs to folders, but it seems support for the PCH/HDX isn't the focus now, right? So it's basically HTPC focus now?

Return to “Whatever!”