What ups is everyone using?

Whatever you want to discuss
donburkard
Expert
Expert

What ups is everyone using?

Postby donburkard » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Id like to be able to run my ml server and unraid server for at least 20 minutes if possible. that should give me enough time to shut things down. If i can id like to be able to just leave everything on until the power comes back on which is usually no more than a half hour but at least ill have some time. So what are you guys using? What do you like? I noticed that some of them come with serial or usb ports. can ml be used to control these and shut my systems down automatically after a certain amount of time?
Hooked on HighDef

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: What ups is everyone using?

Postby mnkynifefite » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:57 pm

First you'll need to figure out exactly how much juice they draw. The easiest way to do that is to run each box through a Kill-A-Watt (http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU) for an hour or so, and make sure you are letting them idle as well as "stress" them (aka- use the crud out of them). Once you've done that you can add those numbers together to estimate how many watts you'll draw and then size the UPS that will fit your needs. Running several boxes for 20 minutes, while possible, might be cost prohibitive but it depends on your budget.

I have all my systems attached to an APC Smart-UPS 3000. If I have a failure it waits for 2 minutes and then if power has not been restored it signals all my systems to shutdown gracefully. It runs my MLServer and Asterisk as long as possible and brings them down last. I have been renovating my systems and either combining them, or moving them to a more energy conscious platform (ie- my Asterisk box runs on an Atom box with an SSD HD and draws no more than 11W). Once Intel releases the new Z series of their Atom chips I plan to migrate my MLServer to that platform, perhaps even my file server. If you go to APC's website (http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=165#anchor1)you can select from a drop down list your power requirements and the left hand tab will calculate your estimated runtime for their various units.

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:29 pm

Thank you. That is helpful. I do however have another question. And it may be stupid. Some of my pc's come right back on to the state they where in before the power went off. Is this a setting in windows or what? and if so do you know where? the only thing i could find was in the power settings/power schemes one was set to "always on"(one of the ones that pops back on when the power comes back on) and the other was set to "home/office". Is this what im looking for?

thanks again.
Hooked on HighDef

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:44 pm

donburkard wrote:Thank you. That is helpful. I do however have another question. And it may be stupid. Some of my pc's come right back on to the state they where in before the power went off. Is this a setting in windows or what? and if so do you know where? the only thing i could find was in the power settings/power schemes one was set to "always on"(one of the ones that pops back on when the power comes back on) and the other was set to "home/office". Is this what im looking for?

thanks again.

This is configured in your windows STARTUP BIOS.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:00 pm

Thank you very much
Hooked on HighDef

Return to “Whatever!”