Any Chumby units out there?

Whatever you want to discuss
cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Any Chumby units out there?

Postby cborod » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:48 pm

I just purchased and received a Chumby http://www.chumby.com and was wondering if anyone has managed a flash widget ala Main Lobby to display and interact with their Chumby?

It's a flash interface device, total touch screen that just begs for a nighstand ML interface to issue the lights out, lock the house command.

btw, if you don't have one.....I'm thinking you'll want one once you see it. A bit pricey $179.00 but takes the digital picture frame concept to the stratosphere, and then some.....
ChrisB

zimmer62

Postby zimmer62 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:15 am

I have one, and I'm not sure I'd really want it to interface with mainlobby that much. Maybe some sort of display screen, but using it as an interface seems like it would be a pain, especially since it's such low resolution, and the touchscreen is just okay...

Overall, it makes a really neat bedside alarm clock that can display weather, pictures and all kinds of fun stuff...

cborod

Postby cborod » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:12 pm

swee that's just the point.....it's not about resolution or graphics...it's about convenience...small unit, bedside, small display...house status, one button macro for turn out the lights, maybe a caller id....that's it.....

Anyway...thanks
ChrisB

"Round up the usual suspects."

zimmer62

Postby zimmer62 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:05 am

Right now I have mine display the front door web camera, some clocks, and the weather...

The problem is there is no good way to instantly jump to the front door as of yet when someone rings the door bell, and the image only updates once a minute.

If I could remotely control what was being displayed on my chumby at any given time I'd be a lot happier with it. It seems like it would take a fair amount of work to make it do even the simplest of actions turn on a light etc, you would have to pause it at the control screen, and then it wouldn't cycle through any of the other things.

Sure you could probably throw something together to get it to display house status or something and just leave it on that all the time.

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Re: Any Chumby units out there?

Postby donburkard » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:15 pm

anything new with these things
Hooked on HighDef

Return to “Whatever!”