Accessing Shared Folders Over Wifi

Whatever you want to discuss
sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Accessing Shared Folders Over Wifi

Postby sonypoolplr » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:18 pm

I was able to access shared folders from computers on my home network from my laptop with wifi, and then it stopped working. If I plug the laptop into an Ethernet cable, I have no problems accessing them, so I don't think it is a firewall issue. I tried uninstalling the drivers for the wireless card, and then letting windows find the device and add it back in. Still no good. I checked everything I could think of to get this to work.

Any ideas? Thank you.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: Accessing Shared Folders Over Wifi

Postby DaveB » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:12 am

Many routers and also windows based computers have desperate port settings for hard wired vs wireless. I think that there is a Windows setting that is preventing you from seeing the network locations when you are wireless.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:57 pm

Thanks I just don't know where to look. I took another computer that is on my LAN via ethernet and switched it to use the wifi and I was able to access the same folders, so I don't think it is a router setting. Also I was able to connect to the folders on my laptop before, but it stopped working, so I am guessing it is a setting on my laptop but I can't find the right one.

Would being on windows 10 home be the problem? I really don't want to upgrade to the pro version but I would if I KNEW it would work.

Thanks.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:40 am

No. I am using 10 every place and without issue. There must be a network browsing setting some place that got changed with an update or something. I will take a look around today.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “Whatever!”