TED 1001 w/ Footprints

Discussion of supported Energy Management Drivers and Hardware (TED 1001/1002)
bobbym

TED 1001 w/ Footprints

Postby bobbym » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:36 pm

I have a few question for you guys using the TED products. My first question is do I need to buy The TED 1001 with the footprint software. I can download the footprint software off there website for free, and how much of a problem does it cause for x10.
Thanks,
Bob M

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Re: TED 1001 w/ Footprints

Postby bigDvette » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:43 pm

You don't need footprints, you do need the USB driver that comes on the footprints CD. When I am having problems I have used footprints to check the status of the device. The footprints software has some functionality to try and "profile" big devices so you know when they go on an off, but I have never used this.

Have you looked at the Brultech stuff? If I didn't already have TED, I would buy Brultech because you aren't as dependent on the AC wiring to get access to the data if hook in to your network.

As for X10 interference, no idea. I have insteon and I don't believe it has caused any issues, but it would be hard to tell. Some CFL bulbs cause problems (it took me months to figure out it was 1 dimmable bulb in a lamp that was causing me problems). I think they have a good return policy so you can give it a try.

Texsun

Postby Texsun » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:18 pm

I had the TED 1000, now have the 5000 and like it better. Nice to have it on ML as well as being able to browse to the unit's built in webserver and look at the individual MTU's, graphing and historical data. Big improvement over the 1000 IMO.

Clever1

Postby Clever1 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:34 pm

I use a TED 1000 and am happy with what it provides... Like the others I have communication issues when CFL are on but haven't seen any issues with the Lighting Control Protocols...

bigDvette is correct about not needing the footprints in order to use the TED with ML; however, the TED 1000 does have to be configured by the TED folks to communicate out the USB port. They refer to this as being FootPrints enabled... So you might as well just get the footprints version and be done with it...

I too would have probably gone with the Brultech system if I didn't already have the TED for the reason bigD mentions plus that fact that it support monitors both the leg coming into the panel and the lines for each individual circuit while the TED just monitors the leg lines to the panel mains...

In my configuration I have had to connect the TED to another systems and get the data via the socket port the TED service provides... Works well... Wish I had the TED 5000 or the Brultech...

Return to “Energy Management”