Brultech Support?

Discussion of supported Energy Management Drivers and Hardware (TED 1001/1002)
bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:20 pm

ricks wrote:I am using {{mlbrultech_total_hour_8}} to track the hourly usage but noticed that the values do not reset to zero when a new day starts. Is this possible to add?

Hi Rick,

Yes, it's possible, but ...

I kind of like seeing the previous days values on my chart so I don't really want them zero'd when the day starts.

I guess that means it needs to be configurable :) Should be a fairly easy addition. I'll let you know when it's done.
--
Bob

ricks
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ricks » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Appreciate all the work! :D

Thanks

ricks

Postby ricks » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:39 pm

Oops. Forgot to mention that in my setup, {{mlbrultech_total_day_5}} is not showing any values for any of the days of the month. If I try to enter a value manually by editing the variable it immediately returns to empty.

Did I possibly not setup something correctly?

One other question. In the setup it allows you to set the rate. If mine is 9.11 cents per kwh and I enter .0911 it will default to .09. Is this automaticaly rounding or just not showing the last 2 digits?

Rick

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:51 pm

Rick,

Ok, I just uploaded a new version. It adds an option to the set up screen to clear the hourly variables at the beginning of the day.

ricks wrote:Oops. Forgot to mention that in my setup, {{mlbrultech_total_day_5}} is not showing any values for any of the days of the month. If I try to enter a value manually by editing the variable it immediately returns to empty.

It was a bug. A cut-n-paste bug. I copied all the lines that calculated the net values and changed the calculations but didn't change the variables to the totals. Fixed in 0.1.8.

One other question. In the setup it allows you to set the rate. If mine is 9.11 cents per kwh and I enter .0911 it will default to .09. Is this automaticaly rounding or just not showing the last 2 digits?

It was rounding the number for display but if you applied the settings it probably truncated it to 2 decimal places. I upped the number of decimal places displayed so it should be ok now.
--

Bob

ricks

Re: Brultech Support?

Postby ricks » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi Bob,

Once again, GREAT plugin!

I have noticed something the last 2 months and was wondering if you've ever seen it. Without cause, during one hour of one day in the month I will get a huge reading. It happened in August and then again early this morning. I checked my bill from the utility company and fortunately they do not see the spike so it must be something in either the Brultech unit, the plugin or my system. I checked my history files and the spikes were not on the same day of the month or same hour of the day.

Below are three photos of this morning's spike. It's easy to see when comparing against other values. Please let me know if you have seen this before or if you have any suggestions what may cause it.

The first image shows the spike this morning.
The second image shows how today is trending against the rest of the month (lower graph) and what happened in August (top grapgh).
The third image shows my MLBrultech variables from today.

Thanks,
Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:57 am

ricks wrote:Hi Bob,

Once again, GREAT plugin!

I have noticed something the last 2 months and was wondering if you've ever seen it. Without cause, during one hour of one day in the month I will get a huge reading. It happened in August and then again early this morning. I checked my bill from the utility company and fortunately they do not see the spike so it must be something in either the Brultech unit, the plugin or my system. I checked my history files and the spikes were not on the same day of the month or same hour of the day.

I haven't noticed that specifically, but I have noticed similar events. I usually see something like that after I've shut down my data collection or had the computer re-boot. But it typically is that a few hours get grouped into one hour so it only effects that hourly range. This looks to be something different.

My best guess is that the monitor is wrapping it's internal time counter and I'm not handling that correctly in the software. I haven't looked at this program in quite a while, but I will take a look and see if I can figure it out. Even though it's different days/hours, is it a fairly consistent amount of time between the events?

ricks

Postby ricks » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:48 am

Hi Bob,

The first event was August 1st. I assumed at that point something happened regarding the month change-over as July seemed to be lower than I expected although July here was relatively cold and rainy - no AC. The second event was September 23rd. That would be 53 days between events which is a number that doesn't seem to match any logic.

My system would not have experienced a power outage as it's on UPS. I initially tried placing the Brultech on UPS but it didn't work... guessing the filter is blocking some data. Sure would be nice to protect the Brultech behind a UPS for surge/outages.

Thanks for looking into this. One bad day like this ruins all data collection for the month and year. :(

Rick

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:49 pm

The first event was August 1st. I assumed at that point something happened regarding the month change-over as July seemed to be lower than I expected although July here was relatively cold and rainy - no AC. The second event was September 23rd. That would be 53 days between events which is a number that doesn't seem to match any logic.

My system would not have experienced a power outage as it's on UPS. I initially tried placing the Brultech on UPS but it didn't work... guessing the filter is blocking some data. Sure would be nice to protect the Brultech behind a UPS for surge/outages.

Thanks for looking into this. One bad day like this ruins all data collection for the month and year. :(

Rick

Hi Rick,

I've looked at the code and don't see anything that jumps out as a possible cause. I did check where I use the seconds value from the meter and I am handling the wrap. It's a 24 bit number so it wraps every 194.1807 days. The actual energy counters can also wrap, but if that happened you'd see a value much larger than 9kwhrs.

Are you letting it collect the data in a database? That would provide more details and might actually point to something. The only thing I can think of that would cause a spike like that is if the actual counter data the plug-in sees is wrong for an instant.

Just for reference, what software are you using? The Brultech Resident Server or ECMServer? How often do you have the plug-in polling the software for data?
--

Bob

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi guys.

Nice job on the plugin. It looks great. I have not tried it yet but I plan to try it shortly.

I also wrote a HomeSeer plugin for the Brultech ECM-1220 back in the middle of 2008 and worked with Paul (who is the owner of Brultech). The company is only 2 hours or so away from me. Joe Zimmerman (zimmer62) on the HST board re-wrote the Resident Server app in .Net

I am not sure what resident server you are using but I am using Joe's and it seems to work fine. I have been running my HS plugin for about a year now and so far so good. I currently have my plugin reset my data on the first of the month in the monitor. It is a little bit of a pain to get the data to ML but I have some data showing in ML. I am thinking your plugin might be better. I plan to try it out and see how it goes.

Once again, nice job!

Thx

ricks

Postby ricks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi Bob,

I've noticed that since I upgraded to MLS 3.75.106, MLS refuses to exit. I disabled all plugins and re-enabled them one at a time. The only plugin that restores the problem is MLBrultech (0.1.8b).

Any chance you've upgraded to MLS 3.75.106? Are you seeing this problem?

Thanks,
Rick

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:51 pm

I've noticed that since I upgraded to MLS 3.75.106, MLS refuses to exit. I disabled all plugins and re-enabled them one at a time. The only plugin that restores the problem is MLBrultech (0.1.8b).

Any chance you've upgraded to MLS 3.75.106? Are you seeing this problem?

Thanks,
Rick

My version was pretty old, so I upgraded to the latest, 3.75.129 and I haven't had seen a problem exiting. I'm also running a slightly newer version of the plug-in. I just uploaded the version I'm running to my web site. http://www.bobsplace.com/mlbrultech/
--

Bob

ricks

Postby ricks » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Thanks Bob, the new version did the trick on the MLS exit thing. Unfortunately I now have another problem, sorry.

After installing 1.9 and testing that the MLS exit was OK, I tried opening the plugin and received a MS .NET Framework error. It said it couldn't find c:\mlbrultech.mdb. Gave me a "Continue " option so I continued on to the plugin. All looks well but it tells me its disconnected. Nothing I do with either the plugin or the resident server software seems to resolve this. COuld it have something to do with the "missing" mlbrultech.mdb file? I did a search of my entire system for that file but found nothing. Assumed it would have been there from previous versions.

I checked out my variables in MLS and oddly enough, despite the "disconnected" message in the plugin, I am getting data. Noticed a few oddities:
- It shows power sold for most days of this month (I have no power to sell)
- All of my historical data is gone, monthly, daily, hourly.

Any thoughts?

Rick

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:15 pm

.19 is a work -in-progress version and the database support is new. I forgot about that since I haven't really had time to spend on this plug-in in quite a while. The missing database file shouldn't be causing any problems (other than the message), if it's not there, it won't try to update it. I was trying to save historical data to the database, but it should still be saving and restoring current counter data from the registry.

I put a copy of the blank database file on my web server http://www.bobsplace.com/mlbrultech/dow ... ultech.mdb The plug-in is looking for this at the hard coded location of c:\

I was not very happy with the way this was collecting data and presenting it so I moved my system to a completely different method that doesn't use a MainLobby plug-in. I have a data collection program that saves the data in a real (not access) database and have my local web server creating charts from the data that can be used both by the web server and by MainLobby.
--

Bob

ricks

Postby ricks » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Bob,

Maybe I should return to the 1.8b version then. I'll see if the MLS exit problem still exists.

Thanks,
Rick

Return to “Energy Management”