Brultech Support?

Discussion of supported Energy Management Drivers and Hardware (TED 1001/1002)
bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:25 pm

New version of the brultech plug-in is up on my web site.

This version adds a number of new variables so you can get extra fancy with your scenes, see the screenshots page for my current scene. I also changed the variable prefix from mlenergy_ to mlbrultech_. So you'll need to update your scenes to use the new names. I figured with all the new additions, now would be the best time to make the change.

It also adds the ability to dump most of the data to a comma separated file at 1 minute intervals in case you want to pull the data into Excel or something.

It has some support for net metering applications with solar/wind generators. With one channel monitoring consumption and the other monitoring generation you'll get some variables with the difference.

And, one last thing, it saves the current information on shutdown so it can restart and continue where it left off instead of re-initializing everything to zero.

http://www.bobsplace.com/mlbrultech
--
Bob

ricks
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ricks » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:43 am

Bob,

Excellent job with the new features. I feel guilty asking for an enhancement but...

It appears that the net values are calculated by subtracting one channel from the other. In the same manner, is it possible to do a culmulative value by adding the two channels? I am currently using MLMath to add channel 1 values to chanel 2 values to get this culm value but it results in MLS running the macro every few seconds.

If this is possible I would love to have it added the next time you're under the hood.

Thanks,
Rick

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:12 am

ricks wrote:Bob,

Excellent job with the new features. I feel guilty asking for an enhancement but...

Don't feel guilty :) I start with what I want it to do but everyone has different ideas and most of the time they are really good ideas so it just gets better for everyone.

It appears that the net values are calculated by subtracting one channel from the other. In the same manner, is it possible to do a culmulative value by adding the two channels? I am currently using MLMath to add channel 1 values to chanel 2 values to get this culm value but it results in MLS running the macro every few seconds.

You're right, the net values are just subtractions. But aren't there already variables for the totals. That's what

mlbrultech_total_power, mlbrultech_total_power_kw, mlbrultech_total_kwh are. Or do you mean the daily, monthly, average, and peak values? Yeah, I can add those. That makes sense. I've been focused on the NET values because we just got solar installed.

If this is possible I would love to have it added the next time you're under the hood.

That's an easy addition. I might even have a chance to do that today.
--

Bob

ricks

Postby ricks » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:06 pm

Hi Bob,

Great! I am trying to create graphs for current days usage (by hour), week usage and month usage and then push the daily, weekly, monthly and annual usage values to a db via MLDB. Having those culm values would really help cut down on MLS processing.

Thanks,
And have a great holiday!
Rick

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:16 pm

Rick,

Ok, version 0.1.6 is out. It adds those 5 values. It compiled and seems to load ok, but I didn't want to shutdown my "production" system so the test one could get access to the data from the resident server.

Let me know if something doesn't look right.

Merry Chistmas
--

Bob

ricks

Postby ricks » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:26 pm

Installed smoothly and runs perfectly. Nice job.

Thanks for the Christmas present. :lol:

Rick

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:17 pm

Rick,

You're welcome.

Thanks for verifying that it works.
--

Bob

ricks

Postby ricks » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:31 am

Hi Bob,

A few screen shots of how I have MLBrultech working. I know I promised not to return to the well too many times but any chance for an input on the setup screen for electrical cost per kwh? Would be great if MLBrultech could do the calc's instead of MLS.

Thanks again and Happy New Year.
Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:57 pm

Great job on the screens!

I Like the graphs. Would you mind if I put a couple of the screen shots on the my web page?

I can easily add a cost per KwH on the config page, but I need to think about it some more first. A single value may work for you, but our rate is tiered so the cost is based on how much you use during the month. I believe some places have rates that vary with the time of day. So it's not as simple as plugging in one number.

Another thing I can add is the lbs. CO2 per KwH. I think that is pretty much a single number..

Since you're collecting data by hour, would it help to have variables created for each hour of the day? Something like mlbrultech_hour_00 ... mlbrultech_hour_23. Just have the accumulated total KwH for that hour. Maybe keep current day values and previous day values. Or just a rolling 24 hours?

I've been playing around with database access so I think version 2 should write most of it's data directly to a database. Would you mind sharing what your database looks like?

Oh, and what's up with your December screen? The total cost value doesn't seem to make sense based on the current daily cost. $1.47 for 11KwH is about $.13 per KwH * 133 KwH is only $17 not $44.
--

Bob

ricks

Postby ricks » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi Bob,

Sure you can use the screen shots although not very attractive. I tend towards black in the doom and gloom of winter. I guess its a New England thing.

Added the costing stuff this morning so probably MLMath errors. I haven't started using a db yet (other than MLS) as I wanted to get a feel for what's practical in real life. "Oh look honey, ..." doesn't really fly that well if its too detailed or not useful in daily life.

I think my goal is a plain English application that shows things that can be acted on, hence the hourly graph. I figure if I can track trends for periods of the day then I can do something about it. For example, if the house is in "sleep mode" then I can work to reduce phantom power draw.

I would like to end up with an average value per hour per month. I would expect a 2:00 AM figure in January to be much less than 2:00 AM in July due to air conditioning requirements. If the delta is huge than its worth upgrading and automating the AC. In practical terms this would help create ROI's for major work. Anyway, I haven't decided yet what is practical information vs. what my inner-geek wants. :D

One thing I'm considering is adding a second pair of CT's which I believe is possible with the ECM1220. Now I have one monitoring each leg but would like to add 2 additional for specific circuits like the refrigerator and pool. Not sure how the ECM manages reporting these additional values but I will look into it after getting the basics.

An hourly variable would be great. Those daily variables could then be stored and averaged by day-of-week, week, month or year. Wouldn't think that anything more than today's and yesterday's hourly values would be worth keeping. CO2 would be a nice green touch. My electric company charges the same flat rate (high) all the time so I can do the math locally.

Once again, I appreciate all the work you're doing with this plugin. It works very well.

Thanks,
Rick

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:46 pm

Rick,

Well, I've like doubled the number of variables created :)

I added an average cost/KwH config option. PG&E does provide an average for the different rate structures but I don't know how close it would be. It will do for now. I really don't want to try and create a config that allows for multiple types of rate structures and 5 tiers.

I added CO2 / KwH config option and variables for that.

I added variables for by hour totals for all 24 hours and by day totals for 31 days. Nothing yet that tells you how many days in the month so you always get 31.

I also added a normalized per hour total. The only progress bar I could find a graphic for displays 0 - 100 and that didn't work too well when I'm seeing between 0.3 and 2 KwH per hour. So the config option let me generate numbers that work better in that range.

I added ch1 + ch2 total to the config page. So now you specify if you want the two channels totaled or subtracted, but you only get one or the other (reduced the variable count a bit).

I haven't uploaded this yet because I'm still changing and testing but wanted to get some feedback on the changes.

What did you use to generate the charts? Are those from one of the add-on packages? I didn't find anything in the standard libraries that looked that good.

Regarding CT's. I'm running two split 200's on the main panel, Y'd together into channel 1 and 2 split 60's on the output from the solar inverter, also Y'd together into channel 2. So you can add more CT's but you only have 2 channels to play with. BrulTech is working on a new box that has 4 aux channels in addition to the 2 main channels. That would be pretty cool. If you haven't looked at their new products check it out http://www.brultech.com/HomeEnergy/Status.html
--

Bob

bpwwer

Postby bpwwer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:10 pm

Version 0.1.7 is posted to my web site. It has lots of new variables to play with.

See http://www.bobsplace.com/mlbrultech/
--

Bob

ricks

Postby ricks » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Hey Bob,

Excellent update!!! I've been able to eliminate a lot of MLS math processing. Now all we need is for Mario to make some of these bar-style meters to be scalable. Actually surprised that there isn't such a thing already.

Thanks,
Rick

ricks

Postby ricks » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Hey Bob,

Excellent update!!! I've been able to eliminate a lot of MLS math processing. Now all we need is for Mario to make some of these bar-style meters to be scalable. Actually surprised that there isn't such a thing already.

Thanks,
Rick

ricks

Postby ricks » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi Bob,

I am using {{mlbrultech_total_hour_8}} to track the hourly usage but noticed that the values do not reset to zero when a new day starts. Is this possible to add?

Thanks,
Rick

Return to “Energy Management”