Are people moving from MediaCenter?

Discussions for the iTunes Music Interface
kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Are people moving from MediaCenter?

Postby kirkfrey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:53 am

I am about to undertake a major rebuild of the audio part of my system. I currently use MediaCenter and am generally happy with it but I don’t want to spend a ton of time switching only to see that I made the wrong move (again!)

I know that the company line is (or at least was) that both iTunes and MediaCenter will be supported going forward but I am wondering what “users” thoughts are. I’d like to reduce the overall complexity and switching to iTunes would help mainly because:
• not having to keep multiple copies of my audio library
• using the “native” tools for managing my iPods

All my media are in WMA lossless and transcoding 12k songs to something else is not overly attractive…
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm

Kirk,

If you only have one zone of audio, I think moving to Itunes is a good choice - especially if you already have an iPod/iTouch/iPhone.

Our interface to Itunes is pretty slick compared to our current MusicLobby. So the end user experience as well as the person managing the music will be enjoyable.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:37 pm

I was kind of thinking along those lines as well. I currently only have 1 source for MP3's (although I do have 2 more "reserved" as needed in the future).

Without having looked at anything more than the screen shots, is the interface more like the current DVD Lobby where each object is made up of multiple components or more like MusicLobby where there is a single SWF that is the entire interface?

My guess is more like DVD lobby which is ok, it makes customizing it more flexible - where flexible = harder to manage if you don’t use the built in scenes :) I am sure this would be complex but it would be great if the "display" were an object that could be scaled and configured (thumbnails at 3x3 or 10x2, etc) and then the controls were made up of independent components.

A "window selection" tool within MLS for editing would make my above issue go away. I know its been discussed before but as the scenes become more and more involved with more and more "layers" of graphics it makes it a bigger challenge to manipulate when 1 "object" is made up of 4 or 5 components. it would also be great if there were a way to "group" objects.
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi Kirk,

Yes - there is complete control over the look and feel. You'll notice that Library0026 has a significantly different look/feel than the 0019 versions.

This does as you mentioned add a level of complexity when it comes to modifying the scenes to your own likes/dislikes. But a necessary evil should you venture into the deeper waters.

I do have many ideas for the next generation tools we are building. Groups and positioning similar objects in a grid style are part of that. :)
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:48 pm

I have thought about a switch myself but for those of us who have our music stored in a lossless format (mine is in ape) this is not an option, right? I assume the plan is still to upgrade musiclobby to a more customizable interface?

Davis

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:12 am

I would also like to see some continued commitment for J. River. I am running 6 sources to 16 zones right now, most of it in lossless APE. I would like to see Media Center get the same look and feel as the itunes interface. I understand that itunes is probably more appealing to the masses but Main Lobby is a high-end interface!
Simon D. S. Mason

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Ditto

Postby ronsatter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:52 pm

For the last couple of months I have been experimenting with iTunes vs JR Rivers. I've spent several hours learning the syntax coding for the MLItunes plugin so that I could customize my iTunes scenes with my look and feel.

Although it has been a good learning exercise for me, I still have the feeling that JR Rivers MediaCenter is a superior media player to iTunes in terms of design and flexibility. The more I use iTunes, the more I realize how sophisticated JR Rivers design is over iTunes. The filtering and playlist options seem much better to me. Some features in iTunes seem more directed toward marketing to the iTunes store than providing simple and effective playback of media files.

I have to agree with you. I would definitely like the same plugin attention given to the JR Rivers plugin as was/is given to iTunes.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

Return to “iTunes”