What is this plugin providing?

Forum to discuss MLScript plugin that enables VBScript and JavaScript scripting within MLServer3.
rondepping
Expert
Expert

What is this plugin providing?

Postby rondepping » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:38 am

My question is what is this giving me that isn't already there? I can today write scripts and run them under mlserver. Are you planning to remove that functionality when this is a release product?

The only thing I see this adding is the ability charge for current functionality in groups of 20 scripts.

I'm not trying to be mean spirited here, I'm trying to understand where Cinemar is going with this. As a DIYer I see a trend that is giving me pause. So please help me better understand what this provides me.

Thanks,
Ron

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:46 am

This is adding capability, not removing it.

Have you looked at the Wiki for what you can do with MLScript? I don't think you could do that in the original script method as additional functions have been added.

MLScript also puts organization to your scripts.

We anticipate adding additional compilers in the future that might include LUA and others.

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Postby rondepping » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:28 am

smoothtlk wrote:This is adding capability, not removing it.

Have you looked at the Wiki for what you can do with MLScript? I don't think you could do that in the original script method as additional functions have been added.

Yes I have read the wiki, That's where I got the 20 script limitation. All those commands are available today in the current script method. I've been using cmdrecieve, SetVariable,GetVariable and DelVariable in existing scripts. I knew of the LogMLEvent throught the SDK. I don't understand what the difference is between cmdreceive, cmdreceivePush and doplugin all seem to me to do the same thing. Maybe a little more detail on the differences would help, but they seem to be avail now and I have not installed MLScript.

smoothtlk wrote:MLScript also puts organization to your scripts.

OK now maybe we are getting somewhere. In the wiki there is no reference to organization of scripts. What type of organization, can I put them in separate subdirectories anywhere on the PC? Could you please elaborate on this feature.

smoothtlk wrote:We anticipate adding additional compilers in the future that might include LUA and others.

LUA? Is this a click through license user agreement? I'm not sure what that is. You say compilers, are you compiling the vb and js code and not just calling the script engine? Or are you just referring to adding other script languages such as Perl, python, etc.

Also you didn't say if your planning to remove the existing method of running scripts when this is a release product?

I'm not trying to be obstinate or disruptive, just really having a problem seeing what this adds based on the announcement post and the wiki entry. Please believe me when I say that I am very found of the Cinemar product line.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:40 am

The easy answer is: There have been no discussion of eliminating any other means that you already have to do scripting.

Organization is that your scripts are viewable in a single window which can put some sanity in keeping them organized. They are also written to MLScript.mdb so it is easy to back them up, move them from one system to another (important for dealers). They aren't a bunch of individual files that loose context a few months after they are written.

There is a script description field so you can remember - what does that script do? Did I already write one to do that???? Puts some sanity to it. Some of our dealers are using hundreds of scripts in competing products. This allows for migration with sanity.

You an also Stop / Start / Edit your script without having to restart MLServer. A great aid in the development and testing of a script.

LUA / Pearl / Ruby are scripting languages (as are the currently supported VBScript and JScript). These are the "compilers" I spoke of. Maybe not technically the right term. For example, Girder uses LUA. If MainLobby MLScript supported LUA, there may be reuse of existing Girder scripts that many of our dealers have developed over the years. There would be some rewrite for syntax, but hopefully very reusable.

Best answer is it will be available very shortly for you to kick the tires. And then you tell us if it currently is better, and if not, what you need for it to be worth something to YOU. If we can't make that bar, continue what you are doing.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:38 am

For an experienced developer who is already familar with VBScript and the layout of a WSC template then you will find little differences in core functionality. Whatever you could do in a WSC script you can do in a MLScript. We do not have any plans to eliminate support for WSC scripts.

Where things do change is that now with MLScript you can modify scripts on the fly without having to stop and start MLServer. We also now have the hooks to introduce other script engines. Like David mentioned we're looking at possibly adding LUA, Pearl, and others. It's a function of what our users want and ask for. Scripts are also contained in a central database that can be backed up. Users can easily import and export scripts. We just felt this will be easier for the users just starting out with MLServer.

rondepping
Expert
Expert

Postby rondepping » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:37 am

Guys,

THANK YOU.

That better explains what this adds, based on the announcement and the wiki I could not see any added value. The ability to stop /start and edit on the fly is very handy as is storing them in a database with export /import capabilities. ( Import /export of server automation rules would be cool to have also. )

Could this be coming for plugins as well. ( I know I can unload but being able to unload , update the plugin and reload with out restart MLS would be really cool. - Off topic I know sorry. )

Never knew Gider scripting had a name, LUA , learned something new. Thanks again.

I guess my only concern is the 20 script thing. why limit it at all?

I will give the tires a kick and see how it goes, Thanks for taking the time to explain, and you may want to add this info in the wiki/and announcement.

Ron

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:49 pm

MLScript is now included as a core plugin with the MLServer install. The 20 script limitation has been removed. There is no cost or license key required for this plugin.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:15 pm

=D>

ricks
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ricks » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:53 pm

=D> =D> =D> In all seriousness, a very powerful and convenient gift from Cinemar. Bravo!!!

worf83

Postby worf83 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:05 am

CinemarDave wrote: Like David mentioned we're looking at possibly adding LUA, Pearl, and others. It's a function of what our users want and ask for.

Dave,

Are there any plans at this point to incorporate LUA, visual basic, or ...?

TIA,

AL

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:13 am

There are no set plans. We're always looking at options. The VBScript / JScript interface that is available today will let you do anything you want today. Changing script engines only means giving users a different syntax to use. LUA will probably be the next script engine to be added into the mix because so many other people are using it. Cannot give an exact time frame as there are other higher priority tasks in the list. Squeaky wheels rule applies.

Return to “MLScript”