GeoVision CPU usage

Discuss Cinemar's GeoVision driver and anything hardware related.
mcascio
Founder
Founder

GeoVision CPU usage

Postby mcascio » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi All,

I just thought I'd post this for anyone interested.

If anyone is using the GeoVision driver with the JPG functionality to display reloading jpg images in MainLobby, you might have noticed high CPU usage on the MLSErver machine when archiving multiple cameras at 640x480. If you can tolerate it, I'd recommend bumping the resolution image down to 320x240. This greatly improves the efficiency.

You can still display the full stream video in Mainlobby at 640x480 using the activeX object in the GeoVision library. This is only in regards to displaying reloading JPG images from a GeoVision camera.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

rhodesep

Is This Still a Problem

Postby rhodesep » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:48 pm

I have very high usage when I just install the plugin on MLServer 65-85%. I don't have to install cameras or produce images.

I stream 8 cameras from the Geovision server. But when I try to use the MLIPCamera plugin I get very high usage. I am running V8.2 on the Geovision server and on all MLClients and MLServer. I wanted to product jpg images to use with my Ultra Q1 But can't afford the cpu time. Also after a while the MLServer will lock up. I have uninstalled the plugin and have no problems. Is this still a problem? or do I have something wrong?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:34 pm

As mentioned in the post above, setting it to 640x480 seems to cause a spike. Imagine constantly polling 8 cameras and writing a jpg file 8x per second.

Try reducing your camera image sizes down to 320x240 in the MLIPCamera plugin. To verify that they are being saved at the proper resolution, find the images in MLServer\images\MLipcamera folder and open one to see what size it is.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

rhodesep

Postby rhodesep » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:57 pm

I get the high cpu by just loading the plugin. I have no camera defined in the table. There are no images in MLServer\images\MLipcamera folder.

Return to “GeoVision”