I need some guidance

Discussions around plugins that interact with Software DVD Players
Blade
Expert
Expert

I need some guidance

Postby Blade » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:29 pm

I am going to use my computer to play my DVDs and Blu-rays and I want to use the ArcSoft TMT plugin to do it.

I have an on board ATI HD 4200 video card on the motherboard and I have another video card installed that I use for gaming. I plan to use the on board video to play the movies because it supports blu ray with no issue. The on board video also has HDMI. How do I tell TMT to use a certain video board.

I need to get both video and audio for the movies out to a RCA composite (red, white and yellow) connection. I found a converter that will go from VGA to yellow RCA composite. I guess I will need another sound card in the PC to get the audio of the movies out to RCA (red and white). Can you tell TMT to use a certain audio card?

The reason I need to get the video and audio to RCA composite connections is because I use AVcast to distribute the audio and video around the house using RG6 cable. It works awesome and I have been using it for years.

I wonder if I could use the HDMI on board video as it contains both the video and audio. I just do not know how to get it to output from HDMI to RCA composite (digital vs analog).

I would appreciate some guidance here.

JaySway

Re: I need some guidance

Postby JaySway » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:05 pm

Blade,

Does your primary display (wherever the HDMI is going) happen to have an audio out? I use my bedroom tv this way to generate an RCA audio signal from whatever HDMI input it is currently receiving. In the TV I have the audio out set to "external" so that the volume is fixed. Of course, this probably wouldn't work if you're using a projector or you need to use the speakers in the TV at the same time.

Jay

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:40 pm

I am sure that the HDMI that is part of the on board video would have audio with it as well.
My monitor does not have an audio out on it.

Flibblebot

Postby Flibblebot » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:43 pm

You do know that composite is limited to SD (NTSC or PAL) resolutions? The quality of a composite analogue signal compared to a digital HDMI signal is miles apart. There's no real point in playing BluRays if you're outputting to composite, you might as well stick to playing DVDs. You'd certainly have to go through some kind of down-conversion to go from HDMI to composite - unlike DVI, HDMI is purely digital, so there'd need to be some kind of box in between, although I don't see the point of taking an HD signal and converting it to an SD signal. Frankly, you'd be better off using the VGA port if the motherboard has one, and use a VGA-Composite dongle if you can find one.

I don't think there is a way to force TMT3 to output to a particular display (its options are really quite basic), I guess it depends on which display it starts on - Windows should remember this setting if you drag TMT3 to a particular display and close it from there.

You might want to take a look at PowerDVD9 to see if that's any better at using a particular display (I seem to remember that its options are more in-depth than TMT3's).

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:36 pm

POWERDVD9 IS A ROYAL PAIN IN THE STONES!!!! I dont know anything about tmt. Do you like it for you br playback?

would this be what your looking for?
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-VGA-Cabl ... 139&sr=8-1

also this
http://www.gefen.com/gefentv/gtvproduct ... od_id=5280

huge difference in price obviously, 10 bucks vs 300 but that geffen tv seems to have some nice stuff. whatever you do stay away from this thing.
http://www.amazon.com/Component-Video-Y ... B002N8KG74

It sucks. All i want to do is play my wii in my theater but my stupid onkyo tx sr604 wont pass through or upconvert. Stupid wii with its stupid graphics. can you tell im a little bitter about it. All i want to do is play call of duty on a twelve foot screen. is that to much to ask? plus my kids want to play mario kart. :oops:
Hooked on HighDef

Blade
Expert
Expert

Postby Blade » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:05 am

I play Call of Duty on the xbox 360 on my 100" diagonal screen in 1080p :)
Another good one on the xbox is Dead Space. Very scary game. One of my favourites.
I have the Wii upstairs for the kids. They love it. The new super mario is a lot of fun. I have been playing that with them.

Return to “Software DVD Players”