Arcsoft TMT3 crashes to blue screen of death!

Discussions around plugins that interact with Software DVD Players
keyvan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Arcsoft TMT3 crashes to blue screen of death!

Postby keyvan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:52 pm

I know this is an issue for Arcsoft more than Cinemar, but I have been conversing with their tech support for nearly 2 weeks now and still no solution.
I recently bought a copy of TMT and installed it on my new HTPC:
ASRock 330 with nvidia ION GPU and Bluray drive running XP Pro SP3 (32bit).
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.asp?Model=ION 330-BD
Everything worked fine until I moved the pc from my desktop display (Apple 24 1920x1200) to my plasma - Panasonic 58" at 1080p.
The display was showing only a quarter of the picture - the upper left quarter. As though it was a 2x2 4 display setup with working display showing the top left screen. This happens on when playing BD content. DVD is OK.
After I connected back to my desktop display and still runnning the res. at 1080p (1920x1080 60Hz) the same thing happened - only the top left quarter of picure was showing. Now when trying any playback of BD content the system crashes completely with the blue screen of death! The following error appears at the bottom:

**STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0005, 0xBD1421E5, 0xA0A26AB8, 0x00000000)
**nv4_disp.dll - Address: BD1421E5 base at BD012000 Date stamp 4a891ca7

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers from nvidia and I also reinstalled TMT 3 -160. Still no luck. It just crashes when the movie starts, the splash screen and menu show ok, but the system crashes to blue-screen when the movie trys to play.
When I set the res. on my desktop back to 1920x1200, I get the whole image back (as opposed to the top left quarter when in 1920x1080) but again crash as soon as movie starts.
Everything worked fine before I tried to move the pc to my plasma. TMT played fine, ML agent/plugin worked fine (after some help from Dave), BD movies launched and played fine and the little HTPC rendered BD content great with about 12% load on CPU.
Now Arcsoft tech support tells me they are "working on it" and "I am not the only one with this problem..."
My desktop machine (Vista 64bit ultimate on an Intel i7, 6GB RAM, Nvidia GTS 250) plays the same BD content from the NAS just fine...! But that's no good for HTPC use!
I am at a point where I am thinking of starting from scratch again, i.e. reinstalling Win XP, cinemar suite, and Arcsoft TMT and see if it does the same again.
Just wondered if anyone had any advice, or experience before I start that pain in the A** process.

Thank you....
K

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arcsoft TMT3 crashes to blue screen of death!

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:15 pm

Many people have reported this ArcSoft problem. Almost all are running a 64bit version of Windows. I would suggest moving to either XP SP3 or Windows 7 32 bit. My HTPC is running Windows 7, NVidia graphics and ArcSoft TMT v 160 and I do not have any issues with BD playback. Unless you have to run an application that is specifically written for a 64bit OS I'd stay as far away from them as possible.

keyvan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Arcsoft TMT3 crashes to blue screen of death!

Postby keyvan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi Dave

The irony, for me at least, is that the problems are on my ASRock ION based HTPC which is running Win XP Pro SP3 32bit.
I have no problem with TMT on my 64bit Vista Ultimate based desktop pc. I even installed win xp pro sp3 using a "slipstreamed" win xp install disk which let me strip out the unwanted/unused elements of windows xp as I just want it to play media and run ML stuff.
I too think that HTPC's do not need the latest and greatest OS with lots of bells & whistles - they just need to play media consistantly.
The reason I run 64bit on my desktop is that I like having more than 4Gb of ram.
It's really strange though, everything was fine on my desktop display, until I hooked up the same machine, with no changes, to my Panasonic plasma. Then it started, and now it consistantly crashes on BD playback.
I think I might start fresh with new install of windows and see it still does the same thing.

K

Return to “Software DVD Players”