ZoomPlayer BluRay Support

Discussions around plugins that interact with Software DVD Players
Fro

ZoomPlayer BluRay Support

Postby Fro » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:28 pm

I've been a registered user of ZoomPlayer for 8 years now. Recently I took the plunge to add support for BluRay. Since my BluRay drive came with an OEM copy of PowerDVD9 I went ahead and tried out the trial plugin for that.

This has been working fine but I have two issues with PowerDVD:

1. Looks like the lovely startup image has been hardcoded again in 9 and above since it's brief customization in 8. I like my screen black when there is nothing playing.

2. I LOVE the ability to execute .vbs (tip found in these forums) in ZoomPlayer and there does not seem to be this functionality in either PowerDVD or ArcSoft TMT. This allows for ZoomPlayer to kick off ML commands after playing files.

So, I spent this morning really diving into my options. Out of curiousity, I went to the inmatrix.com to see if they had plans to add BluRay support. To my surprise, they have added it in the Version 8 Home MAX edition and it works like a champ. NOTE: BluRay support is only available for decrypted content. For most this won't be an issue if you are ripping your discs to HDD.

While I haven't done thorough testing of it yet, I have sanity checked it for expected functionality. I had to tweak the fddshow options for deinterlacing to make regular DVD playback a little smoother but other than that, playback of both DVD and BluRay (both ripped to hard drive) worked out of the box with little effort. For my initial BluRay test I loaded up Tron Legacy which was my first BluRay purchase and proved to be quite demanding on my inital configuration several months ago. This played out just as good as it did in PowerDVD 9 so I was quite happy.

So I've now got ZoomPlayer playing DVD and BluRay, I've got my scripting ability for callbacks to ML. The only concern was the ability to pause and stop the movie. I read another post where Cinemar indicated (back in like 2007 or 2008) that they would consider updating the MLZoomPlayer plugin if BluRay support was added. So before posting something about it and asking if this was on their radar, I figured a quick test would be in order. Again, nothing thorough, mainly because of my excitement when I was able to pause/play and stop Tron Legacy with an MLZoomPlayer command.

While I will be doing some more testing on this and plan on watching another BluRay with ZP8 in about an hour when my daughter goes down for a nap, I had to share my good news so that other fans of ZoomPlayer new there was a new option in the field for BluRay playback.

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: ZoomPlayer BluRay Support

Postby greyt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:15 pm

I used to be a fan of Zoomplayer but moved to PowerDVD when I needed Bluray support.

Taking a quick look at ZoomPlayer my main issues would be lack of support for Bluray menus and overlays (it can only play the main movie stream). It may not be an issue for most but it also lacks 3D Bluray support.

I hate having to be on the PowerDvd bandwagon, since you are forced to keep paying out for upgrades to try and get a version that actually works, but I do find it the best there available if you do keep it up to date.....

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Good news and bad news. Good news. There WILL be a V4 A/V device driver for ZoomPlayer. Bad news. There are no plans to make an updated V3 MLZoomPlayer plugin. The official list of V4 A/V media players will be

1) Arcsoft TMT
2) Power DVD
3) VLC
4) Media Player Classic Home Cinema
5) ZoomPlayer Home Max

There's bound to be one in there that will play your movies for you.

jjjukebox
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby jjjukebox » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:08 am

Will TheaterTek not be supported?

No plans for BluRay in my collection.

This V3 plugin is rock solid and the playlist creation for including pre-movie content works well.

Thanx
J.J. Jukebox

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:36 am

Ah, poor little TheaterTek. The legacy plugin will continue to be supported and there will be a V4 device driver for it. I was thinking more along the lines of the players that require agents. TheaterTek has its own agent.

jjjukebox

Postby jjjukebox » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:26 pm

Me thinks it just got "dissed" !!!

Thanx
J.J. Jukebox

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Not at all - no dissing from this side of the border :)

Fro

Postby Fro » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Well, it's been nearly a month now and all appears to be good with ZP8 Max. No issues with the legacy V3 plugin that I can see so far. Stability seems to be much improved as my 5 year old hasn't been able to lock it up once since it's been installed.

I did have to change the default filters in ZP for H.264 and VC1 to use ffdshow DXVA so I could enable hardware acceleration. Once that was done the minor jitter I had when watching a couple movies smoothed right out.

There are some issues with it picking the right audio track automatically some on m2ts files but I'm working around that by converting to mkv and only selecting the audio I want. That's also saving me on average about 20GB per movie for BD which is a welcome improvement.

The menu support might be an issue for those that want it but for me, I'm all about the full theater experience and keeping it simple for my family. I've been stripping out all the fluff from DVD's for a while now and getting them down to the bare bones main title and best sound track possible. Now I'm doing the same with the BD's and playing them all in ZP.

The ability to execute VBS scripts from playlists in ZP is critical for my setup for controlling the lights and taking care of things at the end of the movie so I was extremely happy to get this all working with the Plugin and BD.

Return to “Software DVD Players”