MLMenu with motion commands

Plugins related to support of the MainLobby user interface.
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

MLMenu with motion commands

Postby ronsatter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:25 am

I noticed when I searched the forum for MLMenu related topics, the last entry was from May of 2008. Does that mean this plugin is working correctly for everyone to date?

I'm having trouble getting a popout menu to execute this macro command:

MLServeCmd.Macro|Slide_PopOut_Right

I placed it in the MLServeCmd entry field as shown in the screen capture.

The macro syntax in the command map editor is:

Macro|
MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~setProperty|1~move~0~0

The popout menu is loaded into layer 1 of the scene with the x offset set to -1500 to display it off screen, so that clicking on the MLMenu item with the macro command will slide it to it's native position of 0,0. The macro works fine when executed from outside the MLMenu plugin. I can get a loadLayer command to work within the MLMenu, just not a move command.

Do I have a syntax error? Does anyone use MLMenu to slide popout menus on and off the screen?Ron

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

Cecil

Postby Cecil » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:05 pm

MLMenu is working fine for me after a lot of exploration. (See my other posts on this topic for some of what I learned by trial and error.)

I had never tried using a command map macro in MLMenu before, so I just gave it a try. It worked fine for me.

I suspect the problem you have is in your syntax entered into MLMenu. If your macro is in a command map (as your post indicates) and iit is named Slide_Popout_Right, then all you need to enter into the command line of MLMemu is Slide_Popout_Right. You don't need the MLServeCmd.Macro. That is the syntax I used in my experiment and it worked fine.

Good Luck,
Cecil

ronsatter

Still No Luck

Postby ronsatter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:13 am

Thanks for the syntax tip, Cecil. I agree that command macros will work with MLMenu, but for some reason, any "Move" command which is fired from the top level Main Menu items WHICH ARE POPOUTs will not run. I have been able to get them to run INSIDE the popout menu items, ie. a "Close" menu item in the popout menu, but not in the at the top level of the popout. As you probably know, "Move" commands are stalled easily if MLServer is busy updating, ie MLRSS plugin etc. Although plugins which require updating from the internet, MLWeather, MLHoroscope and MLRSS for example, are scheduled for a new and improved "background" processing method to minimize these types of problems. At any rate, I would like to verify that it's not something I'm doing wrong with this plugin.

Anyone?

Ron

Cecil

Postby Cecil » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:34 pm

Ron,

Let me take one more shot at assistance (although admittedly I am far from a ML expert!). Here's the macro that I put in the command map and then called from the TOP level of MLMenu (just like your example.)
Macro|
MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~setProperty|RemoteFX2~y~-39!
MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~setProperty|RemoteFX2~x~-66!
MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~loadOverlayAdvanced|0026_nav_popoutmenu.mls~4!
MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~setProperty|RemoteFX2~move~0~800~2

In looking at the code examples, a couple of thoughts occur to me.
1) I'm not sure that setProperty can use the 0 to 4 layer numbers, you may need to specifify it by name.
2) If you can use layer numbers (and your note indicates it works outside MLMenu), then layer 1 would be the background layer (0 = main, 1 = background, 2 = overlay, 3 = Remote, 4 = Remote2). There may well be a conflict with MLMenu using a background or overlay FX. You might try using either layer 3 or 4.

Hope some of this a least points you (or some of the experts) in the right direction to get a solution.

Cecil

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:29 pm

Cecil,

I appreciate your help on this. For some reason this is not working for me. I have spent too many hours trying different syntax combinations for this stupid thing and even when I copy your command exactly and paste it into my command macro, I still can't get it to function correctly.

I was already suspicious of the layer names being necessary for syntax instead of numbers for the setProperty command. Tried it, didn't help. Also suspicious of layers 1 and 2 not being able to utilize the "Move" command. Switch to layers 3 and 4, no help.

I left the macro command name the same: "Slide_PopOut_Right"

Here's my macro syntax:

Macro|
MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~setProperty|RemoteFX2~y~0!
MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~setProperty|RemoteFX2~x~-1500!
MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~loadOverlayAdvanced|Menu_Media.mls~4!
MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~setProperty|RemoteFX2~move~0~0~2

Same as yours basically, just different positioning and scene name. Just a simple horizontal slide right from off screen. When I trigger it from a button, it works every time. When I trigger it from the MLMenu button, it will reposition the layer, load the layer and stop there ... no movement.

I even created a totally blank scene with no other layers, no code in the scene start/close, no graphics except for the popout menu buttons, wondering if some code in the scene could be hanging it up. Nope! Same result. Works every time from a button, but not from the plugin.

I GIVE!

Ron

Return to “User Interface Support”