MLMenu - Several Questions

Plugins related to support of the MainLobby user interface.
Cecil

MLMenu - Several Questions

Postby Cecil » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:45 pm

Hope someone can help me with answers to these questions.

1) What does the "Options Button" selection box do in MLMenu setup?

2) After I first display a popout with say 6 items and then display a popout with fewer items (say 3), why do the items from the previous 6 item popout display in positions 4, 5 6 of the 3 item popup? If I display the 3 item popup first, the 4,5,6 buttons are invisible as I would expect?

3) How does one calculate the "number of popout buttons" in MLMenu setup? If I have six main buttons and all are popouts and one of these main buttons has a sub-popout is the total 6 or 7? Or some other number totally?

I've got MLMenu basically working with the Lodge scenes, but these items are driving me to distration...particuarly #2.

Thanks,
Cecil

ricks
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ricks » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:37 am

Does anyone have answers to these questions? I've just started playing with MLMENU and have the same issues, particularly #2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

ricks

Postby ricks » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:22 pm

Also getting a warning message in the log whenever I hit a button or refresh.

Warning 13(Type mismatch) @ Line 40 in Procedure CreateVariablesbyLevel of modSharedcode

Tracy, any idea why I'm getting this warning?

Thanks,
Rick

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:36 pm

Guys;

I can answer the "Option Button" question from a post in the thread I started prior;

"Option button option allows you to make the menu function like a option button (ie, when turn one on the others turn off). "

I have a keypad for lighting room control selection. When I hit one of the buttons, the others in the group turn off. (or change color)

As for the pop out button issues, I also went through all of that, and can better answer you after I get home tonight.

Warning type 13 means that you have a bad call in one of your buttons on your button bar on screen. You will also get this error is a sub-menu under a primary menu has bad data, like a bad scene name or command.

[/b]
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Cecil

Postby Cecil » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:46 pm

I don't know that I've found the "right" answer to my initial question #2, but I have found something that works. After reading a lot of forum posts, I stumbled upon "MLMenu|Clear_Current_Popout~Menu ID". This command seems to clear all of the data from the appropriate MLMenu variables so that when you select another popout menu the variables are now just filled with the data from the new popout (as all of the prevous data has been removed). I have incorporated this command into all of my MLMenu commands. For other's reference and in the hope it will save them some hassles, here are examples of what I am using for MLMenu commands.

Open a Popout Menu
Macro|MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~setProperty|RemoteFX2~y~-39!MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~setProperty|RemoteFX2~x~-66!MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~loadOverlayAdvanced|0026_nav_popoutmenu.mls~4!MLCmd|MLCommand~{{clientname}}~setProperty|RemoteFX2~move~0~800~2

Close a Popuut Menu (Close button on a popout menu)
Macro|MLCmd|{{clientname}}~unloadLayer|4!MLMenu|Clear_Current_Popout~{{{{ClientName}}_AudioZones_Data}}
[The final variable resolves into a menu ID number so I can have have different menu structures in place for clients in different areas without having to always hardcode the menu ID.]

Open a scene from an item on a popout menu
Macro|MLCmd|{{clientname}}~unloadLayer|4!MLCmd|ChangeScene~{{clientname}}~0026_cable.mls!MLMenu|Clear_Current_Popout~{{{{ClientName}}_AudioZones_Data}}

In addition to the use of "Clear_Current_Popout" in any commands that closes a popout menu or changes a scene, I've am also using the newer methods for showing ("loadoverlayadvanced"} and dsimissing {unloadlayer"} overlay layers.

Any suggestions for improvements or better ways to accomplish this actions with MLMenu would be most appreciated.

Cecil

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:02 pm

That is it - I know that it is a clear command, but could not recall the command without looking at how I did it.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

ricks

Postby ricks » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:46 pm

Hey Cecil,

Thanks for the help. I assumed my problem was similar to yours but I am not using pop-ups. Even so, I tried your suggestion and it sent MLS into a death spiral. :D Makes sense since I wasn't using pop-ups.

I use 1 menu and then change scenes with overlays. So therefore I have 9 buttons, some visible, some invisible depending on the overlay. I'm beginning to think MLMenu won't work in my case.

Maybe Tracy can comment whether what I am trying to do will work.

Thanks,
Rick

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:48 am

Ricks;
I do the same, but in a little bit of a different way. My toolbar is a frame around the overlay, and the buttons are never in the overlay. I have the maximum number of buttons set to the absolute max buttons needed (9 in my case), but many of the menu levels only need 5 buttons, so I use a 5 button template in that case. On several scenes, I still use the 5 button template, but only have three of the locations populated.

See the lodge (lib 26) area for some of my screen shots.

I do use MLMenu in some of the overlay scenes as well, but have those buttons directed to Menu2 rather than Menu1 as above, so they really are seperated and have no connection to menu1.

My structure is like this;

Menu1 - Main toolbar heirarchy

Menu2 - Lighting/Audio overlays

Menu3 - iTunes overlays
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

ricks

Postby ricks » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:29 am

Hey Dave,

That's interesting, usuing multiple menus. I'll give that a try.

Thanks,
Rick

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 am

Rick;

As long as you do not need items under say Menu2 to be aware of where you are in Menu1, it works great.

This was the hardest concept of this system for me to get my brain around.

What is nice is that when you return to an overlay containing buttons linked to Menu2, you are placed exactly back where you left off (if that makes sense). In this way, you can do nested menus.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:47 pm

Dave/Rick:
Can you post a couple of screen shots about how you are doing what you described above? I have a couple of thoughts that might make it easier for you, but want to make sure that I understand what you guys are doing.

thanks
Tracy

ricks

Postby ricks » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi Tracy,

My ML machine is down right now but if you imagine the Lodge graphics with the buttons on the bottom. Let's say the max number of buttons you could have there is 9.

Maybe the home scene uses 6 of these. I would expect 7-9 to be invisible or gone.

If I hit button 1 from the home scene I may go to a SECURITY child and go from 6 buttons on the HOME scene to 8 buttons on the SECURITY scene. I would now have 8 visible.

I guess if there were a way to input the number of buttons each parent and child has in a menu it would work.

I had hoped to use Menus 2-10 for in-scene menus and leave Menu 1 for master scene control.

I had accomplished this using macros and simply turning buttons on and off based on what scene I went to. Worked well but I want to get ML on my TV's and I understand MLMenu allows for control via ir remote?

Hope this explains what I'm trying to do. Sorry, no screen shots but it looks very similar to Lodge.

Rick

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Rick:
You should be able to do exactly what you are talking about with 1 menu. It will take care of hidding the buttons. Just set the max number to the which ever level has the most. I attached a couple of my scenes that use popouts and a single menu. I can post the database if it would help.

Tracy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ricks

Postby ricks » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:57 am

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for the help. I've included 3 screen shots below.

The first is the Alias and Home Scenes. The second is the collapsed Menu Items showing the 6 home scene buttons. The third is the expanded Security menu showing 7 buttons. When I return to the Home menu, the 7th button (Restore) remains active and visible. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:11 am

The same thing was happening to me, and that is why I ended up with the Menu1 / Menu2 concept.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Return to “User Interface Support”