Just some logic

Plugins related to support of the MainLobby user interface.
DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Just some logic

Postby DaveB » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:53 pm

Smooth;
So I finally had the time to setup a test screen set with a full blown implementation of MLMenu. I took all my screens that were working fine and made the conversion. What I quickly discovered is that the methodology is now different, and with MLMenu, you can leverage things that were not possible prior.

An Example; I can now drill to the floor level of lighting, and only when I press the actual button for the room I want control of, does the main screen area change. I like the ability to drill without all the screen rewrites as response and feel is much better on my constipated air panels.

So now the questions;

How do I get the scene to go back to the correct screen when I use the back button in the menu structure? I keep getting the menu out of synch with the scenes. With some of the BACK buttons, I just want to back up the menu, but with others, I want to back up the menu and the scene.

If I use a "Home" button out of the menu button structure, then how do I get the menu to go back to the top level? The scene does, but the menu gets stranded. What is the correct command?

Was your vision of the Menu 1,2,3,4..... option to actually create a menu for a group like one for Media and one for Security, and then have the groups call each other, or is the intent to have the ability to create different groups for different screens in different areas? Also, are you going to add the ability to name the groups?

I am sure the answers are there, but I am just trying to get my head around the new methodology. I am seeing now why you are so excited about this functionality. Changes to many screens and scenes took ony seconds. :D Menu and scene management just got very easy.
This truly could be the start of a dealers admin system. :wink:
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:01 pm

How do I get the scene to go back to the correct screen when I use the back button in the menu structure? I keep getting the menu out of synch with the scenes. With some of the BACK buttons, I just want to back up the menu, but with others, I want to back up the menu and the scene.

Generally, if I want to go back a level and want the scene to change, I will put the following command in the box:

Code: Select all

MLCmd|ChangeScene~{{clientname}}~main.mls

where main.mls is the scene I want to go to. That sends me back to my main scene or sub scene if needed.

If will have to check the home commands to make sure it is working properly.

My thoughts were to use menu groups for different screens in different areas. By naming, do you mean you would like aliases for the menu1, menu2, etc? Could be done, how would you like to use them?

Is there any other functionality you would like added. I will have the plugin open to make some modifications this weekend.

Thanks
Tracy

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:55 pm

Tracy,

Let me go through some items and testing over the next few days and I will post some thoughts. I will try the back method to see ho it works. My largest issue now is keeping the scenes in synch with the menu structure. I need to spend some more time with the driver.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:20 pm

If you want, I can post my database and menu bars. Probably gives some more info on using the popup menus and other items.

Tracy

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:33 pm

That would be great. It may save me some time in figuring out some of the points above. You can post it or email it.

The largest pain is redesigning my weather pages to accomidate a left menu. I may opt for a popup instead.

Not related here, but I wish I had the ability to maintain my MLS server machine remotely, as I do my development on a laptop.

Thanks!!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:39 pm

Dave, Logmein.com or RDP?

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:41 pm

RDP; When I log off from the session, MLS shuts down....
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

90CE
Developer
Developer

Postby 90CE » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:52 pm

Here you go. Let me know if you need anything else. Just make sure you back up the database before replace it with the attached.

The next version will have the alias information that you requested and the ability to define a "HOME" scene for each menu and the menu to use on Startup.

Tracy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:27 pm

MLS shuts down? You gots some setup problems. That shouldnt' happen. Are you logging into console? When logged in, go to Task Manager and see if you are user zero or user one. Gotta be zero.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:27 pm

MLMenu updated.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:23 am

smoothtlk wrote:MLS shuts down? You gots some setup problems. That shouldnt' happen. Are you logging into console? When logged in, go to Task Manager and see if you are user zero or user one. Gotta be zero.

This is now off topic, and we should move this to the MLS area.....

MLS is running on a MS Server machine in a domain. MLS is running under the admin account for that machine, and the admin account or the account it is running under must be left logged on for MLS to stay alive. This is due to the MLS program not running as a service, but as an application under an account. (all correct so far, right?)

When you log into that same machine via remote desktop, using the same account that MLS is running under, the local machine logs off the local instance of the account, as MS Server will not allow both a local instance and a remote instance of the same account to exist at the same time. When this happens, MLS shuts down due to the loggoff.

So, every time I access the the server via RDP, MLS shuts down. What is strange is that I can restart MLS via the RDP session, then end the session and MLS will stay allive. This is due to me not resetting a RDP session at loggoff. If I use that method, paths get screwed up and the panels loose there way.

I can log into that server machine with a different account, but then, MLS is running under the admin account. I can start up a second copy of MLS and do maintenance, but I do not know the effects of that when a copy is already running under a different account.

Long shot, but if MLS was a service, and the administrative package was a seperate program, things would be resolved, but that is a huge directional change. It may be somthing to consider down the road. Another consideration is to come up with a remote MLS admin package, that could be run from any machine on the network.

In this environment, the only way to properly administrate MLS and MLMenu is from a local session on the MLS server.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:51 am

Try:
Run this from a command line or shortcut:

mstsc -v:server1 /F /console

Replace server1 with the name of your server.

This should allow you to login under the console.

The console physical display will black out, but MLServer should continue to function. Audio too! (which was always a PITA with RDP).

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:22 am

Worked!

Next.....
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:25 am

90CE wrote:Here you go. Let me know if you need anything else. Just make sure you back up the database before replace it with the attached.

The next version will have the alias information that you requested and the ability to define a "HOME" scene for each menu and the menu to use on Startup.

Tracy

Thanks - I will check it out later tonight and will get back to you with some comments/features. I see great possibilities for this module. The best part is the ability to change the menu structures on the fly form a central location. Great for deployments with many touch screens.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:33 pm

smoothtlk wrote:Try:
Run this from a command line or shortcut:

mstsc -v:server1 /F /console

Replace server1 with the name of your server.

This should allow you to login under the console.

The console physical display will black out, but MLServer should continue to function. Audio too! (which was always a PITA with RDP).

Well, I thought it worked until I got home and quickly found out that the wife could not startup the Russound. It seems that the command worked in the fact that it did log me on remotely as the console user, but when I logged off from work, it logged off the console user - shutting down MLS.

Same issue as prior. Now this could be a small bug in Longhorn as I am on the RC1 copy. I will search around and report back, but if not, I am back to only doing server maintenance on the server directly. :? With my travel schedule, thats a real drag.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Return to “User Interface Support”