Which PVR are you using?

Discussions regarding Cinemar plugins to interface with PC Personal Video Recorder (PVR) software.

Which PVR are you using with Cinemar?

Beyond TV
14%
Sage TV
21%
Direct TV
14%
Microsoft Media Center
21%
Hardware Based PVR
21%
Some other system
7%
Do not use PVR's
No votes
This is a stupid poll and a waste of my time!
No votes

Total votes: 14

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Which PVR are you using?

Postby DaveB » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:02 am

I am about to dive into integration of a PVR into Main Lobby and my touchscreens. I was interested in the general sense of which offering adds better features and benifits, and also what people are using.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:19 am

DaveB,
I don't think there is much activity with either BeyondTV or SageTV yet. These are two "gems" that haven't been "discovered" yet by the MainLobby group.

Having been very involved in both, the SageTV HD Extender is wonderful.

See the Wiki for how it gets used.

The latest MLSageTV version adds the ability to turn on / off the extender via MLServer commands. Great for automation!

I would just try the 30 day demo of SageTV and the plugin. There has been a lot of effort on both the MLBeyondTV plugin, and the MLSageTV plugin and both are running very stable. Both come with out of the box functioning user interfaces for a fairly complicated menu systems. The plugin drives the navigation.

SageTV exposes more of it's capabilities to MainLobby so that is the one that is getting most development effort. You can launch movies, TV programs, photo albums, and music on any SageTV software client or the HD Extender.

Looking forward to your comments / feedback on both.

http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/wiki ... eTV_Plugin

http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/wiki ... dTV_Plugin

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:36 am

Thanks David. I will get myself set up and look forward to tying Sage. I have had it with MS Media Center. I need to re-arrange my Media PC and get drivers in place for my HD card and tuner, then load Sage. Once that is stable, implement the MLSage layer and integrate it into my test setup.

Hey if nothing else, people may look at the poll and become aware that many options are currently available to ML.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:35 am

As far as the PVR part is concerned, I still prefer the look and feel of BeyondTV... So if you already have your other media handled by say MusicLobby/DVDLobby/MLTheaterTek and such, then MLBeyondTV should be fine.

OTOH, if you are just starting up the whole HTPC adventure, then MLSageTV and some HD Extender, makes for a very attractive setup, as it can handle pretty much all your media needs...
MLComDevice: Control serial/TCP device (ASCII/hex) - MLSchedule: Alternative to MLScheduler
MLBeyondTV and MLSageTV: PVR support - TChanger: Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400 disc Bluray changer
TRadio: Sirius/HD/XM radio - TChart: Chart from variable Wiki

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:03 pm

I am somewhat set up. I have DVD lobby set up to handle hard drive based video and my sony 777. I just have never ventured into either PVR or tv control except for kicking the tires.

I am going to take the approach of selecting the system that is best compatable with my HP media center pc.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:04 pm

Dave, I've been swimming upstream a long time and chose Beyond

Liked its interface, etc etc

Wish it had a Windows Home Server plugin, otherwise i have found it most excellent.

Propaganda and feature set might be in Sage's favor..especially with the extenders and a WHS plugin already available.

Since you're starting new, guess it is a chance to research and get it right...good luck!

btw. top o the hat to fonceur for his EXCELLENT work on the Beyond plugin!!! Contrary to published reports, I have been aware of it, and have been using it since it was first release. When Cinemar releases it for sale, I will gladly purchase it
ChrisB

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:43 pm

"top o the hat to fonceur for his EXCELLENT work on the Beyond plugin!!! Contrary to published reports, I have been aware of it, and have been using it since it was first release. When Cinemar releases it for sale, I will gladly purchase it"

That's great news. Glad you are using it.

I am geeked with Fonceur's work on MLSageTV as well. The TCP power on / Power off of the HD Extender had us going for a while, but it works great now.

Neat stuff.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:54 am

cborod wrote:When Cinemar releases it for sale, I will gladly purchase it

I've been wondering when that will happen, considering I was told before last Thanks Giving that it was considered ready for release... ;)
MLComDevice: Control serial/TCP device (ASCII/hex) - MLSchedule: Alternative to MLScheduler
MLBeyondTV and MLSageTV: PVR support - TChanger: Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400 disc Bluray changer

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:42 am

Guys; I appreciate all the comments above. Well I dove in this weekend. I have not installed anything on the ML end so far, as I want to get the HTPC side stable first.
With my setup (HP HTPC/Dual HD tuners by Happaugh/ NVidia/ 1.5 gig of space/ Vista/ 2gig memory), I tried Beyond first. That did not go well as there were driver in operational issues with the HTPC box at various levels. I then tried Sage. It was literally a drop in and play with a few updates to the core drivers. So far, it is very stable and working very well. It is working better than MSMC, as picture and sound quality are both better, as well as control. I now have the abolity to run ML and use the touchscreen when Sage is running. So, next step is to get the ML side integrated, which I will work on this week as time allows.

I will have questions so stay tuned. :)
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:52 am

Told you I would have a question;

Can the SageTV client, SageTV PVR server, and SageTV TCP Server software all reside on the same HTPC?

I would like to use my HTPC for all of it for now, and plan to split it out as I add extenders.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:31 am

DaveB wrote:Can the SageTV client, SageTV PVR server, and SageTV TCP Server software all reside on the same HTPC?

Sure, all the possible configurations should be working.

As for the HD PVR and BeyondTV, the support is still in beta, and since SnapStream is located in Houston, some of their web servers were down this weekend, so no one could install... ;)

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:05 am

DaveB wrote:So, next step is to get the ML side integrated, which I will work on this week as time allows.

So, do you have it working yet? ;)

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:24 pm

Well almost. I hope to have some time tonight to get further along.

I did get communication through my HTPC and the Sage system from the driver in MLS on my MLS server. I also did get some data on screen. Commands from screen would not work however. I did find some setup issues with Sage.

In the process, my license for TVLobby ran out, and I had to renew. That is now completed.

I have about a 5 day window to make a decission prior to more demo licenses expiring with Sage, so I need to move fairly quickly.

I will update you after tonight.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:56 pm

Fonceur wrote:
DaveB wrote:So, next step is to get the ML side integrated, which I will work on this week as time allows.

So, do you have it working yet? ;)

OK so I am well into this implementation. I will work on it more in the morning, but so far, I can only seem to get partial communication between the plug in and the client. I can not control playback, nor can I see the programs that are recorded. I can not do anything with live TV. Basically, I can see the interface and menu options, and the power and full screen condition only.

Where does "PVR2" come in and should I set the alias of my client to this, or should I change the scenes to reflect the actual alias name?
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:38 pm

Have you followed the steps of the wiki? Seems like the TCP communication is not working... Make sure to enable the debug option from MLServer/View/plugins/mlsagetv/setting, then we can check the log to see what's going on...

Return to “Personal Video Recorder Plugins”