MLBeyondTV IR Control

Discussions regarding Cinemar plugins to interface with PC Personal Video Recorder (PVR) software.
MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

MLBeyondTV IR Control

Postby MurrayW » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:35 pm

My MLServer and HTPC both died last night -- they were attached to the same UPS battery backup. There were no power surges or anything else obvious that would have caused any problems. The MLServer PC has dual power supplies and both power supplies turn on, the hard drives spin up but the computer does not even get to the bios screen. I switched out the bios battery and disconnected all PCI cards -- the only thing left was the AGP video card. The HTPC's power supply doesn't even turn on. Has anyone ever seen a problem like this caused by a UPS battery backup?

Since both computers are fairly old and I was actually thinking of upgrading my HTPC anyway, I decided to replace both of them. Currently they each have 5 PCI slots. You can't find any motherboards with 5 PCI slots these days! Since it is better to keep everything separated anyway, I will go with 3 PC's:
1. MLServer PC: Raid card, Serial expander card and MAudio Sound card.
2. HTPC (for DVD's and playing the shows recorded with my TV tuners) 3. BeyondTV PC: 2 analog TV Tuner and 1 HD tuner (all hardware-based)

Sorry about all that stuff up above, but here is my question (finally). I read the Wiki and most of this forum and didn't see the answer. Will I need another IR blasting device on the BeyondTV PC or will my USBUIRT (I may update to the USBIR6) attached to my MLServer PC be able to change channels on my satellite boxes to handle scheduled recordings?

thanks,
Murray

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Re: MLBeyondTV IR Control

Postby Fonceur » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:20 pm

MurrayW wrote:You can't find any motherboards with 5 PCI slots these days!

As far as capture devices go, you can find dual versions, USB/PCI-E/PCI versions, then there's the HDHomeRun which is networked... Combine that with a motherboard with good built-in audio, and the lower number of PCI slots might not be such an issue.

Will I need another IR blasting device on the BeyondTV PC or will my USBUIRT (I may update to the USBIR6) attached to my MLServer PC be able to change channels on my satellite boxes to handle scheduled recordings?

It all depends how you want to connect everything together... If you simply split your cable to feed the RF tuner from the capture cards or the Clear QAM from through a HDHomeRun, then you don't need an IR blaster at all... But if you want to capture from the STB of a cable or satellite provider, then yes the IR blaster will need to be on the BeyondTV PC.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:55 pm

Fonceur wrote:
MurrayW wrote:You can't find any motherboards with 5 PCI slots these days!

As far as capture devices go, you can find dual versions, USB/PCI-E/PCI versions, then there's the HDHomeRun which is networked... Combine that with a motherboard with good built-in audio, and the lower number of PCI slots might not be such an issue.

Will I need another IR blasting device on the BeyondTV PC or will my USBUIRT (I may update to the USBIR6) attached to my MLServer PC be able to change channels on my satellite boxes to handle scheduled recordings?

It all depends how you want to connect everything together... If you simply split your cable to feed the RF tuner from the capture cards or the Clear QAM from through a HDHomeRun, then you don't need an IR blaster at all... But if you want to capture from the STB of a cable or satellite provider, then yes the IR blaster will need to be on the BeyondTV PC.
Unfortunately I already have all my TV cards -- I bought them over 1 year ago and haven't gotten around to using them yet. I would have my OTA antenna feeding them via RF, but I would guess that > 50% of my recordings would be from my satellite box. Maybe I can get by with a 3 PCI MB for my HTPC, and put all my TV tuner cards on that PC. Any ideas on how fast the processor should be if I had 3 hardware capture cards working at once while playing a DVD or a captured show at the same time? I would rather not have 3 PC's if 2 would do the job.

thanks,
Murray

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:16 pm

MurrayW wrote:Any ideas on how fast the processor should be if I had 3 hardware capture cards working at once while playing a DVD or a captured show at the same time? I would rather not have 3 PC's if 2 would do the job.

Just get a beefier HTPC and I don't see the need for a third PC. If you get something like a core 2 duo and an NVidia 8500GT or better, everything should be smooth. If you were re-using older/slower pieces, it would make sense to build a dedicated system for recording, but a new system can easily handle that.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:56 am

Fonceur wrote:
MurrayW wrote:Any ideas on how fast the processor should be if I had 3 hardware capture cards working at once while playing a DVD or a captured show at the same time? I would rather not have 3 PC's if 2 would do the job.

Just get a beefier HTPC and I don't see the need for a third PC. If you get something like a core 2 duo and an NVidia 8500GT or better, everything should be smooth. If you were re-using older/slower pieces, it would make sense to build a dedicated system for recording, but a new system can easily handle that.
Yeah, that's what I think I will do. I looked at my pci cards again and it looks like I don't need as many slots as I thought I did. It turns out that I only have 2 tuner cards (one is a dual tuner), so my HTPC will only need to have a video card and 2 PCI slots for the tuners. I had an extra sound card (because I had it laying around), a lan card (my motherboard did not have gigabit lan) and a firewire/usb card. I guess I will move my USB-UIRT from my MLServer PC to the HTPC and buy the USBIR6 that I have been eyeing for a while for the MLServer PC.

Will I need girder on the HTPC or does the BeyondTV software work with the USB-UIRT without any additional IR control software?

Thanks for helping to clarify this for me.

Murray

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:38 am

MurrayW wrote:Will I need girder on the HTPC or does the BeyondTV software work with the USB-UIRT without any additional IR control software?

Beyond TV has native support for the USB-UIRT, so no need for Girder.

Return to “Personal Video Recorder Plugins”