SageTV Plugin Available?

Discussions regarding Cinemar plugins to interface with PC Personal Video Recorder (PVR) software.
sportera

SageTV Plugin Available?

Postby sportera » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:35 am

Smooth,

Saw something about this plugin while in the Wiki today. What is the status of this project. I'm been pretty heavy into SageTV for a couple of years after dumping MCE. Also recently tried BeyondTV. It's pretty good if all you want is PVR in your application. Sage offers much more.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Re: SageTV Plugin Available?

Postby Fonceur » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:41 am

sportera wrote:I'm been pretty heavy into SageTV for a couple of years after dumping MCE. Also recently tried BeyondTV. It's pretty good if all you want is PVR in your application. Sage offers much more.

Since you are using MainLobby, do you really need SageTV's "much more" part? ;)

As for the original question, no idea who (if anyone) is working on it.

couj

Postby couj » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:50 am

With the release of the Sage TV HD extender (offering a very easy and cheap solution to streaming recorded HD TV and DVDs from a centralised storage medium) has anyone given any more thought to developing a driver that will communicate with SageTV and its extenders?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:28 am

Yes. I have an Xtender as well for testing. Neat box. We are working on some ideas, but no promises.

couj

Postby couj » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:29 pm

Fingers crossed then. It would also be a great solution for those who are unable to use BeyondTV (as BTV does NOT support DVB it is not particularly useful in countries like Australia that utilise this standard).

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:36 pm

couj wrote:as BTV does NOT support DVB it is not particularly useful in countries like Australia that utilise this standard

Well, technically you could use BTV-Externinator for those DVB recordings, but I agree that native support from SageTV is more efficient. ;)

So what kind of functionality would people want to see in a SageTV plugin?

couj

Postby couj » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:00 pm

Hmmm .... I hadn't heard of "BTV-Externinator". I'll see what I can find out about it on google.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:17 pm

couj wrote:Hmmm .... I hadn't heard of "BTV-Externinator". I'll see what I can find out about it on google.

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38716

and

http://www.beyondhtpc.com/fonceur/BTV-Extern/

would be the most relevant links. It is possible to make the actual DVB recordings through ProgDVB (or possibly DVBViewer), and BTV-Externinator acts as a bridge between BTV and the recording application.

couj

Postby couj » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks Fonceur - much appreciated. Do you know if the cinemar BTV plugin is flexible enough to deal with this kind of set up (ie using BTV-Exterminator in conjunction with BTV)?

I'd still be keen on the Sage TV plugin given Sage TV's compatability with the DVB standard and the flexibility of its newly released HD extender.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:52 pm

couj wrote:Do you know if the cinemar BTV plugin is flexible enough to deal with this kind of set up (ie using BTV-Exterminator in conjunction with BTV)?

Since they don't need to talk to each other, neither MLBeyondTV or BTV-Externinator would have issues...

I'd still be keen on the Sage TV plugin given Sage TV's compatability with the DVB standard and the flexibility of its newly released HD extender.

I am looking into it. The problem is that SageTV's API is in Java, which I have never programmed in... So I could either learn Java and develop a native Java ML plugin or I could develop in C#, using JNI to bridge both languages...

sportera

Postby sportera » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:04 am

Fonceur, do you own stock in BTV??? Ever really spend time testing anything else???

Again, for those considering a PVR interface to MainLobby be advised that while BeyondTV is a great easy to setup amd use PVR, that is all it is (with exception of DVD plugin I believe you have to buy). SageTV has much more bang for the buck as a complete "media" control center. It is a little harder to configure and customize but that is only because they built a huge amount of flexibility in the product.

AND SageTV includes "parental contol". BTV doesn't and that is THE MISSING PART that prevents me (and many others) from using BTV as a home PVR solution.

I've used them all, including Microsoft Media Center (also has parental control), and still I find SageTV provides a better "media" solution. And SageTV now has a Windows Home Server edition I'm think about trying out to centralize my 5 Directv receivers in a closet with my server and use either PC clients or MVP extenders at all TV's.

So I will probably wait out a SageTV plugin or for BTV to spend a few bucks to add parental control before considering migrating MainLobby into a home media control solution.

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:10 am

sportera wrote:Fonceur, do you own stock in BTV??? Ever really spend time testing anything else???

No I don't, but when I was looking for a PVR application, they were the only one with Canadian EPG support... ;) If I were to start from scratch now, who knows what I would end up with.

Again, for those considering a PVR interface to MainLobby be advised that while BeyondTV is a great easy to setup amd use PVR, that is all it is (with exception of DVD plugin I believe you have to buy). SageTV has much more bang for the buck as a complete "media" control center.

Well, assuming you are already using MainLobby for the rest, that seems kind of a moot point...

AND SageTV includes "parental contol". BTV doesn't and that is THE MISSING PART that prevents me (and many others) from using BTV as a home PVR solution.

I agree that they are slow to add features, their backlog of a thousand feature requests is proof enough. They've mentioned adding various user levels at some point, so parental control would become a possibility, but indeed they're not there yet.

But anyway, I am still waiting to hear what people would want from a SageTV plugin... ;)

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:15 pm

I have started a thread on SageTV's forums to see how they would recommend to implement it...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthr ... post261166

sportera

Postby sportera » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:00 am

Thanks! I responded (unknowingly I was responding in a SageTV vs Mainlobby forum).

Fonceur
Expert
Expert

Postby Fonceur » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:15 am

sportera wrote:I responded (unknowingly I was responding in a SageTV vs Mainlobby forum).

I figured that much, when you mentioned the opening of a SageTV forum... ;)

Return to “Personal Video Recorder Plugins”