DirecTV Remote Slowness with USB/Serial Connection

Discussions regarding Cinemar plugins to interface with PC Personal Video Recorder (PVR) software.
pschmitt

DirecTV Remote Slowness with USB/Serial Connection

Postby pschmitt » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:38 pm

I have two HR-22's and using the MLDirecTV plugin. I am using the I/O Gear USB to serial adapter recommended. When I have this connected and using MLDirectv my IR remote are very slow to respond, several IR key press will work then it lags for up to 20 seconds, very annoying. The control via ML seems a little better but not perfect and does exhibit this same lag occasionally. I couldn't really use the number "keys" on ML to change channels effectively but using direct "channel" commands to tune to each network works ok but sometimes with significant lag in channel switches. If I remove the USB adapter from the HR-22 I notice my IR remote behaves normal, only slight delays of course now I don't have any ML control.

Anyone else see this issues and is there a work around? I really want to use the MLDirectv plugin and not use the IR blaster but If I have to I can revert back to that.

I included a screen shot of my directv ipad page showing how I removed number keys and replaced with network keys. I prefer this method anyway but was also the only reliable way I could change channels.

PS - In MLDirecTV plugin I turned off all the automatic updates (channel, signal, time) thinking this was slowing down the system but didn't have any impact.

Thanks,
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: DirecTV Remote Slowness with USB/Serial Connection

Postby MurrayW » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:51 am

I am seeing the exact same thing. Most of the time the commands go through quickly, but every once in a while I get the 20 to 30 second lag (never timed it). During this lag most of the time the commands seem to get stored, so once the lag is done, 3 or 4 commands execute right away. This is really frustrating when using the 30 second skip. Less often during the lag, the commands are just ignored. I think that it is more a USB-UIRT problem than MLDirecTV because I am using the active button on my DirecTV remote to switch imputs on my matrix switcher and this suffers from the same lag as other buttons on the remote that control the DirecTV DVR. I have a mix of HR20's, HR21 and HR24 that all suffer this same problem.

pschmitt

Postby pschmitt » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:16 am

I resorted to reseting everything, full power down on the receiver's and reboot of my ML Server PC. Things are working much better, back to normal ~one second lag (HR-22's were never quick with remote response). One thing I did was removed all the automatic variable updates in MLDirecTV plugin for both HR22's. Can't say for sure, but I felt these were bogging down the HR22 and even after stopping the automatic updates. So far its been over 36 hrs and seems to be working.

The other variable in my system is I have the whole home option on the HR-22's to watch recorded movies from either HR-22, and that was also behaving poorly before the reset (sometimes would not playback a remote recording on the initial try) and now seems OK.

If things continue to work, I'll slowly add the channel update since I like seeing what channel on my ML display.

Phil

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:08 pm

One thing that I have confirmed is that if you poll the DirecTV boxes for any length of time and too frequently the polling will eventually slow the DirecTV box to a crawl. This has to be an internal problem in the DirecTV box. Most likely a memory leak that is consuming system resources. The only thing that will clear the slow down is a complete reboot of the DirecTV box. This is what you experienced.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:46 pm

CinemarDave wrote:One thing that I have confirmed is that if you poll the DirecTV boxes for any length of time and too frequently the polling will eventually slow the DirecTV box to a crawl. This has to be an internal problem in the DirecTV box. Most likely a memory leak that is consuming system resources. The only thing that will clear the slow down is a complete reboot of the DirecTV box. This is what you experienced.
I am experiencing something different and this is why I think it is USB-UIRT related instead of MLDirecTV.

1. I have a scheduled reboot of all my DirecTV DVR's every couple of days at 4:00 AM to take care of the sluggish response on the DVR's.
2. Whenever I get the 20 - 30 second lag problem with the DVR's after pushing a button on my remote to do something on my DVR's, I see the same delay by pressing another button on my remote that switches inputs on my matrix switcher.
3. I downloaded an iphone app to control my DVR via IP and I have never seen any of these 20 - 30 second delays when taking the USB-UIRT (and MainLobby) out of the picture. I have even tried using this iPhone IP app during that 20-30 second delay I am having with my remote and the DVR will respond to the iPhone IP commands.

I thought it was a MainLobby polling issue, so I took all the plugins out except a few that are need for my USB-UIRT and MLDirecTV and that made no difference. I am using scripts to process the IR signals that the USB_UIRT receives. Is there some possibility that the script process is a lower priority than other things that may be going on with ML at the time they try to run?

Here's my script:

Code: Select all

' MLServer Command Reference
'  MLServer.cmdReceive command - allows you to send MLServeCmd's back to the server
'  MLServer.cmdReceivePush command - allows you to push a MLServeCmd onto the MLServer command queue
'  MLServer.SetVariable variable, value - allows you to set MLServer variables
'  MLServer.GetVariable variable - allows you to get the value of the specified MLServer variable
'  MLServer.DelVariable variable, value - allows you to delete MLServer variables
'  MLServer.LogMLEvent sName, sEvent - allows you to add an entry in the MLServer Event Log
'  MLServer.doPlugin PluginName, PluginCommand, PluginParameters, ClientName

Sub DirecTV(params)

Dim MySource
    Dim NewSource
    Dim MyDVR
    Dim NewDVR
    Dim DVRType
    Dim MyDirecTVParam1
    Dim MyDirecTVParam2
    Dim tmpStr

MySource = MLServer.GetVariable("avatrix_source_main")

Select Case MySource
     Case "1"
        'HR20-700 #3
        MyDVR = 3
        DVRType = "DTV"
        NewDVR = 4
        NewSource = 2
    Case "2"
        'HR21-100 #1
        MyDVR = 4
        DVRType = "DTV"
        NewDVR = 5
        NewSource = 3
    Case "3"
        'HR24-500 #1
        MyDVR = 5
        DVRType = "DTV"
        NewDVR = 1
        NewSource = 6
    Case "4"
        'Need to Add Logic for Oppo BDP
        NewSource = 6
        NewDVR = 1
    Case "5"
        'HR20-700 #2
        MyDVR = 2
        DVRType = "DTV"
        NewDVR = 3
        NewSource =1
    Case "6"
        'HR20-700 #1
        MyDVR = 1
        DVRType = "DTV"
        NewDVR = 2
        NewSource = 5
  End Select

MyDirecTVParam1 = params(1)
MyDirecTVParam2 = params(2)

If MyDirecTVParam2 = "Active" Then
    'Set variable avatrix_source_main to new source and dvrnbr to new dvr
     MLServer.SetVariable "avatrix_source_main", NewSource
     MLServer.SetVariable "dvrnbr", MyDVR
    'Toggle to a new input on the AVAtrix
    tmpStr = "MLServeCmd.MLMatrixSwitcher|1~Switch~Main~" & NewSource & "~0"
Else
    'Need to add DirecTiVo IR control commands
    'If DVRType = "DTV" then
    'If Ubound(params) =3 then
    tmpStr = "MLServeCmd.MLDirectv|00" & MyDVR & "~" & MyDirecTVParam1 & "~" & MyDirecTVParam2
    'Else
        ' tmpStr = "MLServeCmd.MLDirectv|00" & MyDVR & "~" & MyDirecTVParam
    'End if
 End If

MLServer.cmdReceive tmpStr

Return to “Personal Video Recorder Plugins”