MLCalendar not displaying anything

Thread to discuss the MLOutlook family of applications: MLCalendar / MLEmail / MLPhoneBook
sincebaugh

MLCalendar not displaying anything

Postby sincebaugh » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 pm

I have an evaluation copy of MLCalendar. yesterday it was showing the numbers for each month, but none of items from my outlook calendar. today I am not even getting numbers, just blank calendar. The log states that beta copy has expired, but I just installed yesterday. MLServer says I have 179 days left for evaluation. Any suggestions? Log is as follows:

This beta expired please contact Cinemar for an update
3/8/2010 8:46:47 PM - Error 13(Type mismatch) @ Line 90 in procedure SaveRegistry of SharedCode
This beta expired please contact Cinemar for an update
patrick

sincebaugh

Re: MLCalendar not displaying anything

Postby sincebaugh » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:55 pm

I am now seeing numbers, guess it took awhile to download - still no appointments, etc though.
patrick

sincebaugh

Postby sincebaugh » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:30 pm

also, if I click the MLOutlook Addin button in outlook, there are no servers displayed in 'available servers' tab...
patrick

Clever1

Postby Clever1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:28 am

Does anyone know if there are any variables that calendar.swf is watching to somehow mark what days on events?? Once I was able to get MLCalendar working I was expecting to see some kind of indication on the default home page that there was a schedule event on a given day and in order for that to happen there would need to be some variables that calendar.swf has imbeded... I was thinking like little squares in the corner of the days that had events or event multiple squares with the color indicating what calendar.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Its been a while, but I don't remember calendar.swf working with MLCalendar. I do remember creating the default scene with all those boxes / text items into a customizable calendar.

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:19 pm

David is correct. The default calendar swf file which is on the 0019 home scene does not read any MLCalendar variables. Experienced users have successfully integrated the MLCalendar event markers as a sort of graphic overylay on top of the calendar.swf object. That can be done by studying the MLCalendar scenes and copying the elements which show which days have events scheduled, then pasting those graphic elements on top of the calendar swf object on the home scene. Granted it is tedious, but it is an excellent exercise in ML scene customizing.

Hint: Take the time to build the first overlay graphic exactly as you need ... size, color etc. Copy the original variable label exactly into your new marker label, then clone this graphic for every calendar day ... with the only difference in each one being the variable in the label of the clones.

Check the forum posts in the MLCalendar threads. It's always good to see what others have done and how they have integrated MLCalendar into their scenes.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

Clever1

Postby Clever1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Great tips Ron, it would be interesting to see how the fact that for a given month of a given year the dates fall on different days and the overlay would have to be smart enough the know on what day the 1st of the month is and populate the rest of the month. Of maybe I am making it more difficult than it needs to be...

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Clever1 wrote:It would be interesting to see how the fact that for a given month of a given year the dates fall on different days and the overlay would have to be smart enough the know on what day the 1st of the month is and populate the rest of the month.

Actually, the swf object does take care of all those issues (It's a mystery to me), it knows how to draw out the current month days in the grid and the correct numbering of the day. The MLCalendar plugin uses variables to define if a calendar day has any events scheduled. If so, a graphic can be made visible. The graphic objects which flag calendar events can be positioned on top of the swf object.

I captured a couple of screenshots from my Home scene to help you see how this is done.

Fig 1 shows the Calendar swf object on the Home scene in normal display mode. The black squares seen over some of the calendar days are the graphic objects which are made visible because those days contain scheduled events.
Fig 1.jpg

For example, November 2nd shows a black square on top of the day. The MLCalendar variable which makes that square visible is {{mlcalendar_date_isbusy_3}}.

The actual value of these "date_isbusy" variables is "1" if the day has an event, or "0" if not. That value can be used in the "State" option of the graphic. You don't need to enter any values for the state to be on or off, because "1" and "0" are the same as "True" and "False" which are default values for all ML graphic objects. Since on my calendar, {{mlcalendar_date_isbusy_3}} value is "1", it shows the black square.

Fig 2 shows the same scene in the "Edit" mode. This allows you to see the actual graphics positioned over the swf object.
Fig 2.jpg

I used simple text field objects for my overlays. In my scene, there are actually two text objects on top of every day square. The larger yellow squares are sized the same as the swf object's day squares. They are positioned exactly of the top of each day square. The black squares are sized to fit in the upper right corner of each of the calendar days and are on top of the yellow squares.

Notice that the swf object consists of 37 potential day squares. Depending on the month, the day squares shift to start the first day on the proper day of the week. Make sure you create 37 squares to overlay the grid. MLCalendar plugin will populate 37 days of variables.

The black squares display if there is an event for that day, the yellow squares remain invisible at all times. They are used as invisible buttons to navigate to another scene which displays that day's events (something like the MLCalendar event detail scene.)

With this dual overlay approach, you can quickly see what days of the current month have scheduled events, and navigate to those days with appropriate commands. Thus the swf calendar object is more practical for users and acts as a link to the MLCalendar scenes.

Granted, my scenes are all custom and the command macros I use employ some 3rd party plugins ... but this technique can be used with the defaul MLCalendar scenes and calendar swf object.

Also, the 0026 "Lodge" scenes package by Margaret Holden uses these techniques and all the work is already done. :D

Hope this helps.

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ronsatter on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:15 pm

Clever1;
As Ron said, many of the interface tricks and methods that Ron and I have learned were made possible by purchasing one of the advanced scene packages. You might look at the price and think that it is expensive, but actually the competition sells scene packages for hundreds and even thousands more.

Some of my example scenes are posted here and are an adaption of the 0028 full package. An advanced graphic package will save you many hours and days and can be still be 100% modified, similar to what Ron and I have done several times.

Margaret continues to produce more advancements in both graphics and technology with each package.

Just something to consider.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “MLOutlook”