MLCalendar Text Display

Thread to discuss the MLOutlook family of applications: MLCalendar / MLEmail / MLPhoneBook
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

MLCalendar Text Display

Postby ronsatter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:54 pm

Hi Mario and gang,

In studying the 0019 Calendar.mls scene I discovered a minor problem. The text display for calendar events uses a Text.Sizeable text object. This fails to display multiple events for the same date correctly. It shows the <br>. The correct text object should be Text.Multiline.

Here's my MLCalendar scene, for all who might like some design ideas.

Happy New Year, everyone! :D

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

tntwebguy

Re: MLCalendar Text Display

Postby tntwebguy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Ron,
I went into edit calendar.mls...and successfully replaced a few text cells with Multiline (page 16) Saved it and restarted...it still shows the <br> what am i doing wrong?...The funny thing is for a split second when the calendar first loads...it is correctly displayed..but then instantly changes the text with a <br>. Any suggestions

-TNT

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:17 pm

TNT,

I think you may be confused about the labels necessary in the calendar.mls scene. If you are replacing the original Text.Sizeable objects with Text.Multiline objects, you must keep the same labels.

The first text object on the calendar scene (top left) should have this variable in the label: {{MLCalendar_Date_Display_1}}, the next field should have this variable in the label: {{MLCalendar_Date_Display_2}} ... and so on.

The labeling used in the "GetCalendarEvents" script: {{calendar_upcomingevents_0}}<br>{{calendar_upcomingevents_1}}<br>{{calendar_upcomingevents_2}} is meant to be used in a SEPERATE Text.Multiline object to display a summary of all upcoming events for the active month.

This is not a field on the Calendar.mls scene. I use it on a completely different scene.

Each day's calendar display Text.Multiline object should use the MLCalendar_Date_Display variables, not the Calendar_UpcomingEvents variables.

Sorry about the lack of clarity about this in the "How-To" posts.

Ron

tntwebguy

Postby tntwebguy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:04 am

Ron,
No I believe I do understand....I did what you said on my main home.mls page with a completely separate Multiline Text box and it works(displaying upcoming events)....What I was asking...and sorry for my newbie inability to be clear...I am noticing the full month calendar display is showing the <br> tags....And I wanted to know how to not display them I never changed any code on the original 0019 calendar...So I just tried to test some of the fields that had multiple events by changing them to multiline...no difference...but I do notice on first load of the scene...it displays everything properly...What is happening?

-TNT

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:16 pm

TNT,

I duplicated your experiement on my system and the Text.Multiline fields do not have the <br> as illustrated by these two screenshots.

Fig 1 shows the 0019 calendar.mls scene with <br> visible in fields with multi events (just as you described) because the fields are not Text.Multiline objects. I added a day with 3 events named "Test 1, Test 2 and Test 3". They also show the <br> in the default field on the calendar. But when I created a new Text.Multiline field at the bottom of the scene for the same events, they appear without the <br>.
0019 Calendar Scene.jpg

Fig. 2 shows the button properties of the newly created Text.MultiLine field.
Text.Multiline Properties Panel.jpg

Obviously something is not correct on your scene. Some things to try:

Make sure you "Save" the scene changes after you replace the event field on the calendar scene.

Also, notice that there is another button overlaying each event field. It contains the commands to scroll the events if there are too many to fit the defined height of the events field. Make sure you are not replacing the scroll button object instead of the underlying events field.

Whenever I troubleshoot a problem like this, I start with a new scene with no objects or code in it ... then I create the elements fresh from the library instead of copying them from a scene. This way you can control the testing process more efficiently.

You might try this approach with just one calendar event field with the correct variable in the label.

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tntwebguy

Postby tntwebguy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Ron,
Again thanks for the quick response..I did what
you said...I even reversed engineered calendar.mls by hiding layers to uncover the Text fields
I changed them to multi and SUCCESS the <br> tags are gone, but Now...new problem..the text stretches into the next day..Please if you have a minute try your test again with phrase
entries like "Pick up the dry cleaning", instead of just test1 test2 and let me know if you get the same result of it stretching into the next day

thanks
-Tnt

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:00 pm

TNT,

You're right! You're not going crazy #-o

Here's a screenshot of my test entries for Jan 8:

Image0.jpg

As expected, the text in the singleLine field has <br>'s. The multiLine field at bottom of scene has no <br>'s, but indeed does what you claim ... displaying the text past the object bounderies without wrapping. Notice how the first entry wraps, but the second and third entries extend.

I played around with changing the dimensions of the field and I noticed as you increase the width it will accommodate the first two entries with correct wrapping and no overlapping, but still displays the third entry incorrectly. As you continue to increase the field width ... eventually you can get all fields to wrap correctly with no overlaps.

I would say this is a bug in the flash object.

Mario, Dave ... have you ever seen this before?

Ron

donaldeweaver

Postby donaldeweaver » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Has anyone found a fix to this bug?

Return to “MLOutlook”