MLPhonebook and CallerID

Thread to discuss the MLOutlook family of applications: MLCalendar / MLEmail / MLPhoneBook
Cecil

MLPhonebook and CallerID

Postby Cecil » Sat May 24, 2008 1:46 pm

Is there any way to use the MLPhoneBook plugin with the CallerID plugin such that the CallerID plugin will look up names and images in the MLPhonebook contacts.mdb database?

If not, this would make a great new feature for the MLPhoneBook / CallerID plugin.

Thanks,
Cecil

ricks
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ricks » Sat May 24, 2008 3:33 pm

My thoughts, exactly. As of now I have images in MLCallerID and MLPhonebook and unfortunately, neither work. :(

Rick

ricks

Postby ricks » Mon May 26, 2008 3:37 pm

As of now it seems as though MLCallerID looks for images in C:\Images\CallerID and images must be named 2125551212.jpg.

On the other hand, MLPhonebook looks for images in C:\Images\CallerID\TempMLPhonebook\CurrentImage##.jpg.

Since MLPhonebook will look where you choose when adding a photo to Outlook Contacts, can MLPhonebook be changed to look in C:\Images\CallerID instead of C:\Images\CallerID\TempMLPhonebook\CurrentImage##.jpg?

What would be better is if the directory where all of these files are placed was within the Cinemar folder so they could be moved along with Cinemar if needed such as:

C:\Program Files\Cinemar\Contact Images\ or something like that. But that would require changes to MLCallerID as well. At this point I'd settle for just the MLPhonebook change.

Just a thought.

Rick

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:35 am

Hi Rick,

I'm just starting the MLPhonebook. Is it just me, or did this whole plugin get passed by? From the entries in the forum, it reads pretty rough! I have downloaded the latest versions with MLInstaller, so I think I have all the updated parts. I have listings, but no images. Can you explain to me where to put my images and how to access them?

Anyone who has this plugin running correctly ... please feel free to share what you know.

Thanks,

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

ricks

Postby ricks » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:38 am

Hey Ron,

Sorry, haven't played with this plugin for months. As of now, photos are not showing up in either MLCallerID or MLPhonebook. I was hoping that Cinemar would eventually integrate MLCallerID, MLPhonebook and MLPhonedialer so they would all work together. Hopefully I will get back to it one of these days.

Rick

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks Rick.

I have a feeling it isn't a high priority right now. Maybe when Tracy gets some time, she can straighten this plugin out. The main issue seems to be image storage in ML and easy retrieval in the plugin.

Tracy ? Anyone?

Ron

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:37 pm

Tracy does not work on these plugins any longer. The maintenace is our responsibility now. I just looked at the code and the reason the photos are in the folder they are in and named the way they are is that they are temporary in nature. Every time the plugin synchronizes with Outlook the old images are deleted and a new set created from what is being imported from Outlook. This makes sense in that when you change a photo in Outlook it will automaticially change in the plugin on the next sync.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks Dave,

Is this the correct file path for the images:

C:\Images\CallerID\TempMLPhonebook\CurrentImage##.jpg?

If so, I don't have that folder structure on my C drive (or anywhere). Is it supposed to be created when the MLPhonebook plugin is installed, or is it created with the MLOutlook addin?

At any rate ... I agree with Rick's suggestion. Is it possible to recode the plugin to place the "TempMLPhoneBook" folder inside the MLServer "Images" folder? That seems like a better integration for image file paths through the MLServer "GetImage" function.

Ron

PS. I hope this request falls under the category of "Plugin Maintenance" :)

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 pm

The correct folder is {{MLServerPath}}\Images\CallerID\TempMLPhonebook

The old installers didn't create the folder. The version of MLPhonebook that I posted yesterday will create the folder. The latest version of the plugin also corrected for some phone number formatting issues and fixed an issue with importing Outlook photos.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:42 am

Hi Dave,

I installed the latest version of MLPhonebook. Now the image folder is correct. Thank you for that! :D

Every time the plugin synchronizes with Outlook the old images are deleted and a new set created from what is being imported from Outlook

Not what I'm seeing.

I noticed some oddities about the TempMLPhonebook folder. It seems to create duplicates of the original Outlook contact image whenever the contact name is selected on the 0019_Phonebook.mls scene. It appears to be the same image, but with a different image ID, ie CurrentImage21, CurrentImage7, etc. Are these ID numbers randomly generated? Why wouldn't one unique ID work for a contact until the image was changed in Outlook? And speaking of changing images, I experimented with that. It caused confusion in the contacts database. Sometimes when I would select a contact on the 0019_Phonebook.mls scene, the correct version of the image would display. At other times, the previous version of the image would display. And at other times, the completely wrong image would display ... a completely different Outlook contact image. The plugin event log shows the following error: FIG 2.

I tried clearing the Table and Variables in the MLPhonebook Plugin setup window, deleting all the temp images from the TempMLPhonebook folder, replacing the images in Outlook, clearing the MLServer image cache ... still able to duplicate the problem.

By the way, I started with a fresh empty database and only added 3 contacts for my experimenting.

Also, the maximum image size of the temp images seems to be a 100 x 100 pixel thumnail, no matter what the original size of the image.

I left the "Scale Image" fields in the "Properties" tab of the plugin empty, because any rescaling severely degraded the images.

And increasing the size of the button object on the 0019_Phonebook.mls to actually fill the suggested frame size, requires such a huge resize that the image degrades completely. I did a rough pixel measurement of the area within the photo frame of the 0019_Phonebook.mls scene. The dimensions are 190 x 255. Is it possible to code the temp image size to match those dimensions, so that the default size of the images will fit that frame?

Question:

What is the first column in the "Phonebook" tab of the plugin settings window for? When you click on the small squares, a checkmark appears. Are all the listed contacts supposed to have a checkmark to enable some function? I found no mention of this in the wiki. See FIG 1.

EDIT: I figured out that the checkbox in column one enables the "Favorite" feature. The column needs a label. :?

I may be wrong, but I believe this plugin and it's wiki needs more "maintenance" to be usable.

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:19 pm

After looking in the code I saw that the images are stored in the database as binary objects. When you access the phone number the image is created on the fly it there is one stored in the database. The image is assigned a new random name.

Also, when the image was created it was being scaled in fast mode at only 60% quality. I have changed that to high quality mode now. Version 3.0.404 of the plugin is available for testing.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the fast action! I'll give it a spin.

I'm still not clear about the duplicate images in the temp folder. Is it okay? Do they ever get flushed ... is there a way to clear them if they get too numerous (other than manual deletion)?

Ron

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Duplicate images are ok. The entire folder gets flushed when the outlook addin does its next sync.

Return to “MLOutlook”