Multiple zones...

Forum to discuss HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Cooling) related hardware support.
Near76
Intermediate
Intermediate

Multiple zones...

Postby Near76 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:55 pm

Is anyone using RCS thermostats in more than one zone and this plugin? It looks like each thermostat gets tied to a zone controller and does not stand on its own like an Aprilaire 8870?
-Matt

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:37 pm

I was using the MLRCSThermo plugin with two thermos. Each was viewable and controllable independently. What do you mean re: zone controller?

Near76
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Near76 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:39 pm

In my trying to understand the RCS devices, the TS16 thermostat ties into a control unit, so in your two zone system you have two control units near your HVAC system daisy chained together going to an RS232 protocol adapter? The control unit is the box with RS485.

I am use to Aprilaire 8870s where the "control unit" is built into the device so I just daisy chain thermostats with RS485 and then use a protocol adapter to get it to RS232.

Does that make sense?
-Matt

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:56 pm

I have two RS485 thermos going to a 8 port RCS RS$85 to single RS232 Hub (not a controller). This single RS232 hub plugs into the PC com port. Each thermostat is then referenced individually by it's assigned Unit number (defined in RCS thermostat installation menus).

Near76
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Near76 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:11 pm

Got it, thanks. I also just spoke with RCS tech support and got religion on their products. The TR16 is what would be used more for retrofit with existing zone controllers. The TS16s work with a controller like you have.
-Matt

egamez

Postby egamez » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi Folks

I have realized that RCS pluging has been released for RS232/RS485 thermostats so I am wondering if it support RCS Multizone controllers ( which by the way are RS232 or RS485 configurable) like the ZC6R ( not longer available) or the new ones ZCVx series

http://www.resconsys.com/products/zonepanels/ZCVx.htm

In contrast to the standard communicating thermostats the Zone Controller use specific RCS wall display units, one standard or heat pump HVAC system and Zone Dampers which are controlled by the unit to provide multizone HVAC.

I am aware that a multizone system could be also configured using communicating thermostats and a controller such as the RCS ZC series as long you want to use just one HVAC system and not multiple heat or pump units attached to each thermostats

Thanks in advance for your response

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:53 pm

The MLRCSThermo plugin does support multiple thermostats.
However, I don't believe it was tested with a RCS zone controller in the mix.

I am hoping that each thermo in the controller system still has a unique ID, and that they are "talking" the same way on the RS485 network so that from the plugin's perspective, you are still seeing each independent thermostat and can programatically interact with each discrete thermostat.

Then, you would be able to work from the PC, just like you were in the room interacting with the wall mount thermostat (raise / lower / change modes / view status and temp).

egamez

Postby egamez » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:50 pm

Uhmm it sounds feasible although we should test it out. I have in fact 2 ZC6R installed and working and being controlled via JDS Stargate but as you can imagine I am looking forward to control it via Mainlobby since there is not any integrability between Mainlobby and JDS Stargate exempting via Homeseer which tends to make the things more complicated.

I am not able to try the plug-in with my ZC6Rs since I do not have serial ports available but as soon I get a new multiport serial card I'll make a try

Thanks

Return to “HVAC Support”