MLDMR, DVDLobby & MLClientSVC

Digital Media Recognition for music and movie meta data and cover art.
jpimentel
Expert
Expert

MLDMR, DVDLobby & MLClientSVC

Postby jpimentel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:23 pm

I need an authoritative explanation of how these three pieces of SW play together.

I have spent the better part of today trying to streamline the Library management and post processing functions and keep realizing how little I know about how these things play together.

General questions of how things work for a local drive to a local disk process.

1. In DVDLobby on the network Tab there is an alias name. Is this a unique identifier for a DVD source drive or a network path to a movie folder? Should the two be mutually exclusive? The headers on this tab leave some questions for me in this regard. It seems to me that if you have a local drive you don't want to have a network drive too. It this section of DVDLobby just for source material? This is most probably my biggest confusion to date.

2. If I use the same alias name in MLClientSvc as I do in MLDVDLobby should it pass all the information I need to the ClientSVC post processing application?

3. Would it be possible to just have a list of sources (network or local) and a list of destinations (network or local) and call it a day? The current settings are very confusing to me and as a minimum require a lot more docs to make it clear how it is supposed to work.

4. On the DMR_Movies.Catalog.Local.mls scene there is a selection near the process button that runs either MLDVDLobby|NextProcessor~{{catalog_processlocation}} or MLDVDLobby|PrevProcessor~{{catalog_processlocation}} This seems to pull data from the DVDLobby network tab mentioned in step 1, specifically the source drive section which really throws me for a lop since this would appear to be a

5. The next bit of strangeness is the MLDVDLobby|NextScanFolder~{{catalog_scanfolder}} and MLDVDLobby|PrevScanFolder~{{catalog_scanfolder}} commands. These commands also seems to play off of the network tab but grab data from the "network or local path" section and seems also to be where AMG look ups are performed. Why can't I use the same source drive for both lookups and capture? This is really counter intuitive and seems to necessitate a network shared drive and a local desigantion (2 separate entries for a simple DVDRom to Hard rive operation. Is this really how it is supposed to work?

So I can't through my own logic or reasoning figure out how this is supposed to work.

Please advise.
Regards,

John

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

OK, I get it...

Postby jpimentel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:09 am

I found that some time to think often clears up confusion.

I discovered that the existing DVDLobby/DMR/CLientSVC do what I want with a few tweaks.

The first thing I did was examine the process movie command. This exposed the fact the the Main Lobby client ID {{clientname}} was tied to the command. I did not find this particularly useful so I changed the dependency to the alias name of the DVDLobby network tab.

In that way I can select the source of the media, and with a single selection set the source, the destination, and the alias for client services.

The one caveat is that you must also use the same alias name for Client Services as you do in DVDLobby, not a big deal really, in fact it sort of makes sense, but make sure you do it that way, or you will not be able to use the available variables to do single click movie addition.

I can cover details if anyone is interested, but this is probably better covered in an example on the WIKI.
Regards,

John

Return to “MLDMR”