How to setup SQLExpress

MLDatabase allows MLServer3 to interact with any ODBC database that you create or attach to. Intended for advanced users only.
jespeed

How to setup SQLExpress

Postby jespeed » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Hello All,

I have been trying to setup sqlexpress 2005 to work with the MLDatabase plugin with no luck. Just lots of headaches and aspirin so far. I am running the latest version of MLServer along with the latest MLDatabase installed on a XP Pro SP3 machine.

I downloaded and installed Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition and SQL Server Management Studio Express. I created a new sample database to use and thought that I had everything set up correctly but when I try to set up a connection to my sample database in MLDatabase nothing works. For example, when I try to setup a new connection alias the server and database drop down lists are not populated with anything. I think that if I had everything setup correctly then these fields would be populated. If I fill in the fields anyway with what I think is correct the SQL Servers list on the available databases tab remains blank.

I am trying to run SQLExpress on the same machine that I run MLServer on. I will be using the sql database to store and manipulate data from my HVAC equipment run times.

Can anyone help me setup SQLExpress so that I can use MLDatabase to connect to it? Some help with the configuration of sqlexpress would be a big help and which mode to log on and whether I need to setup a client alias, required protocols, etc......

I have successfully used an OBDC connection to Access via the MLDatabase plugin but would prefer to use SQLExpress if possible.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you in advance,

Jim Spence
Take care,

Jim Spence

jespeed

Re: How to setup SQLExpress

Postby jespeed » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Some more information about my situation :

If I setup an alias using SQL Server Configuration Manager under the SQL Native Client Configuration section it will then show up in the MLDatabase plugin under the "available databases" section as a SQL Server. If I double click the listed SQL Server I get an hourglass and the a pop up stating that it cannot connect to the default server instance listed as "\sqlexpress". If I change it to what I think the correct instance name is then I get the hourglass and MLDatabase and MLServer lock up and I have to use task manager to exit. I then have to restart MLServer.

Do I have to set up this client interface? If so what protocol should I use since both sqlexpress and MLServer live on the same machine?

Maybe this additional info will help someone help me.

Take care,

Jim Spence
Take care,

Jim Spence

Return to “MLDatabase”