mlIpod and iPort

Forum to discuss iPod related plugins such as the Sonance iPort.
DanielSiegel
Intermediate
Intermediate

mlIpod and iPort

Postby DanielSiegel » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:52 pm

Is there a new MLiPod plugin to MLServer 3?
What is iPort (and is it related)?

Basically, I am trying to integrate music from iTunes (and perhaps also from an iPod), along with my existing "saved" collection on jRiver MediaCenter? I would prefer an integrated interface for all of this, but just wanted to better understand what exists at the moment.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:01 pm

Daniel,

Yes - were still wrapping up testing on the plugin to see if any more bugs are still in there.

The MLIPod plugin currently supports the iPort by Sonance:
http://www.iportmusic.com/iport.html

Here are some screenshots:

Unlike MusicLobby, this allows user complete design over the interface. You even decide how many rows of data are displayed.

This will work with their desktop as well as inwall version of iPort.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:14 pm

video too!

DanielSiegel
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby DanielSiegel » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:22 pm

Sounds great.
Just want to make sure I understand its advantages and limitations.

So, if I understand correctly, the MLiPod plugin grabs metadata from the iPort (which gets it from the iPod via its dock connector).

Then, you can create your own UI using variables maintained by the plugin, as well as control the iPort (and thus the iPod).

But, there is no API to iTunes (ie, to "live" music such as radio stations, Apple store, etc) -- just to stored music on an iPod?

And I assume one cannot have multiple sessions (ie, multiple people playing different songs) from a single iPort?

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:43 pm

Pretty sure all of you assumptions are correct.

AccessHA
Expert
Expert

Postby AccessHA » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:02 am

Love the Jump to Letter functionality. Hope we see that roll-over into the next MusicLobby.
Hell-bent on automating everything! I’m too lazy to do anything else.

www.accessHA.com
Access Home Automation
The ultimate Insteon resource on the web.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:33 am

The iPort was a great intro to seeing what we'll be able to do with MusicLobby next round. :)
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

DanielSiegel
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby DanielSiegel » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:51 am

I agree.
I have to say that I really like the direction in which Cinemar appears to be moving.
The more functionality you can provide between the client and MLServer (access to variables, databases, etc. via plugins), the better.

Then, we can all "roll our own" interfaces if we want to tweak or completely change the basic swf functionality provided on the client.

I think you will find that, as good as the existing swfs are (dvdlobby, musiclobby, etc), your users will come up with even more amazing UI applications if you provide them with enough "core access". Just give us MacPaint and MacDraw and a good "toolkit" and we'll be off to the races.

I really appreciate all the hard work and recent improvements (despite my impatience for more DVDLobby and MusicLobby "core access" -- hopefully soon).

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the support. We could use more of it these days. :)

We took a lot of flak for moving to our existing pricing model, but as you can see over the past six months, our decision was the right one.

All monies for drivers/plugins are being driven back into more development on the products. Essentially reinvesting everything back into Cinemar and its customers. We've been rolling out updates at an explosive pace and will continue to do so.

We were excited to do the iPort because we knew it would allow us to test some ideas for the future customizable MusicLobby. We were impressed to see how fast the iPod can communicate too. Even with large libraries, we can jump to a letter very fast.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:00 pm

Can someone suggest an iPort to get and educate me on the different models? It seems there are 5 flavors or iPorts and each have in-wall and desktop versions. Seems very confusing - I read there are upgrades for RS232 and IR...

I see some on eBay - one is almost $800 (IW-5). Yikes!

I have my office upstairs and would like to have a desktop version there and use one of my Cat5's from my office to hook it to my CAV in the basement. I don't think I care about video today but if it isn't a lot more, I may get it...

Thanks,

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:06 pm

The IW-5 and it's desktop brother are what we have done our testing on.
I suspect that the other RS232 dock will also work, but NO testing has been done to confirm.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:15 pm

The only IW5 I could find was over $1000! I couldn't find any desktop 5's - I found a desktop 3 for $500.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=29875

Yikes - I hope there are other options that this solution will work with.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Yes, the iPort is a premium, quality product.

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:18 pm

rileydog wrote:Can someone suggest an iPort to get and educate me on the different models? It seems there are 5 flavors or iPorts and each have in-wall and desktop versions. Seems very confusing - I read there are upgrades for RS232 and IR...

I see some on eBay - one is almost $800 (IW-5). Yikes!

I have my office upstairs and would like to have a desktop version there and use one of my Cat5's from my office to hook it to my CAV in the basement. I don't think I care about video today but if it isn't a lot more, I may get it...

Thanks,

I have tested the IW-4 and it works just dandy. As you may have already known, the -4 and -5 only differ by the video feature. -4 models do not support video, -5 models do.

This is really great stuff. I am enjoying mine on a daily basis. And I also appreciate the ability to manipulate the interface in greater detail (even though graphics is not really my bag), I do like to scale and move things around to suit my own taste and touch panel size.

I too am anxiously awaiting the same functionality in the Music and DVD Lobby worlds.

I can direct you to a pretty big Sonance dealer that will give you a good price I think. Just mention my name. PM or e-mail me if you want his contact info.

The 1st letter feature was a real bonus idea even if I do say so myself. I can't wait to see that in Music Lobby. It is actually context sensitive so whereever you are in the tree it will return the first letter in that portion of the tree. Very cool indeed.
Regards,

John

erikhimber
Expert
Expert

Postby erikhimber » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:06 am

When will this plug-in be available either for purchase or Beta ?
Erik

Return to “iPod”