iPod frustration

Forum to discuss iPod related plugins such as the Sonance iPort.
rileydog
Expert
Expert

iPod frustration

Postby rileydog » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:58 am

I have an iPort with a 3G 30GB iPod in repeat mode - songs are always playing on the device, random tracks.

It works but I have one nagging frustration - after a few days, the plugin locks up and the interface doesn't work (meaning, nothing shows, no playlists, no response when I click buttons nor any response from the plugin interface on the server). If I go to the server and disconnect/reconnect via the button next to the serial port # - it works fine for another few days. I rebuilt my iPod and only use the iPod in the iPort dock - I don't travel with it.

I looked at the log and when it is locked-up, the plugin is still receiving data - I see RX ...... - I figure this is information about the currently playing song - however, any commands sent to it have no SX to the unit - so, I figure there is something preventing commands being sent - there are no entries in the log and in verbose mode, I see commands to the MLIPod...

I guess a "simple" solution is to add a server command to connect/disconnect and I can simply add a button to the scene when this occurs - I know it is a hack and doesn't address the true problem but I suspect investing a lot of time trying to figure out why may never completely deal with the issue - I am just looking for a way that I don't have to keep going to the server closet and toggle the connect/disconnect button... It sucks when I first get up in the morning and I have to go to the basement to reset the plugin to listen to tunes when I get ready for work...

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Yeah Join the club. Exact same problem here. Seems to be worse when multiple iPorts are in play. I have been begging this one to get fixed for months. I know it is in the queue, but there are other priorities and limited bandwidth. I'm sure it will get dealt with eventually, but the more people who comment on it the more it is likely to get attention.
Regards,

John

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:22 pm

This is in the top 5 queue slots. High priority but limited bandwidth just as John mentions.

chrismd77
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chrismd77 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:56 pm

I also notice this. I have been living with it for now.

I hope it gets fixed soon but it is not a huge deal for me since the iPort is only used for parties. It is just there as a way for people at my house to get there music into the system and distributed to the audio zones.

Chris

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:39 am

Any update?

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

iPort Status??

Postby jpimentel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:45 am

Can you tell us the status of this issue and when we might see a new release that works?

Should I start working on a different solution?

Will the Russound or any other docks ever be supported?

iPod integration in today's systems is key. This is a huge hole in the product offering and should be addressed soon IMHO.
Regards,

John

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Mon May 18, 2009 1:10 am

Come on - I want my money back or fix it - this is horrible - I spend almost $800 for this solution and have to reset the system every day. Why do you call it released when it doesn't work?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon May 18, 2009 6:08 am

I know we're getting close on MusicLobby - so this one isn't far behind.

Temporarily, I'm checking to see if Dave can quickly add a ReconnectCom command. This could be triggered manually or scheduled daily.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon May 18, 2009 2:30 pm

I'm working on the code right now. The issue is that under certain circumstances the plugin can go into an infinite loop trying to read info from the dock. This is an issue with how the developer wrote the plugin. I am going to modify the code so it won't infinite loop and add some error checking and then we can test with this version. Hopefully I'll release something today.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Mon May 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Really appreciate - sorry for getting frustrated but it really has been a pain for too long. Thanks.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Mon May 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Would be great to get a DirecTV plugin update to stop the lockups that were mentioned - sending a command and waiting for a response - another pain since the delays can be really painful - anyhow, not as important as the iPod plugin but maybe it is easy. Thanks.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon May 18, 2009 3:01 pm

I only have a limited number of fingers to type with. One thing at a time. I have not forgot about the DirecTV issues either.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon May 18, 2009 4:15 pm

Version 3.0.132 of the iPod Family Plugin and version 3.0.326 of the iPort controller plugin have been released. I believe I have removed all occurances of potential infinite loops in the plugin. This may or may not resolve all the issues that have been reported. Please test and let me know the results. You will need to install the new family manager as well as the controller. You should save a copy of the old dll before installing these.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Mon May 18, 2009 9:52 pm

SWEET! I will try them out tomorrow and let you know -- I will post feedback - Thanks!

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Tue May 19, 2009 1:48 pm

I installed the new version

What seems to work:

From the plugin, meta data is reliable - next song, last song, stop, play, forward, back all work and the meta data responds - from the plugin. This was not true in the last version, at least after several songs...

What isn't working:

Are the variables in ML updating correctly? Doesn't look like it. I don't see the variables mlipod_iport_001_playingtitle, playingartist, etc. being populated at all. Like I said, the plugin looks fine but none of this data is making it to variables.

I cannot get past the top level menu - when I click the menu button on the plugin UI, I see the list (Playlists, Artists. Albums, Genres, Songs, Composers) -- If I 2x click on Playlists, it is a blank menu - same for all the others too.

If you want to login (logmein) to my machine, go for it - you should have the login information, the computer name to login to is MEDI01 - if you need the login info, email me - thanks,

Return to “iPod”