Nuvo GC or Russound MCA-C5?

Forum to discuss plugin support for the Nuvo brand of products.
Mr. Spock

Nuvo GC or Russound MCA-C5?

Postby Mr. Spock » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:33 pm

Being the Nuvo forum I might expect some bias, but hopefully I can get a good answer. I'll post this in the Russound forum too.

In the planning stages for a new home construction install in early 2013. I don't even own ML yet. I'm looking at either the Nuvo Grand Concerto or the Russound MCA-C5, but leaning toward the Nuvo. After reading forums here and at Homeseer it appears there are a lot more people using Russound in automation controlled scenarios. True?

Goals:
1) I need at least 8 powered zones. For the Russound this means I need two MCA-C5 units. For Nuvo I need to buy two external amps. Reading the fine print it appears the Nuvo can put out considerably more power to all zones simultaneously, while the Russound is limited to 1/8 the power of zone 1 to zones 2-6. Correct?
2) The keypads are not a major contributor to my decision, I might not even use them, or if I do just one or two.
3) The built in AM/FM tuner in the Russound is a plus.
4) Strong desire for hassle free use and tight integration with ML.
5) Will want to be able to make announcements to the whole house (all zones).

What do you recommend and why?

Thanks.
Live long and prosper.

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Nuvo GC or Russound MCA-C5?

Postby jeffdoo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Well, I'm biased...

Had a Russound CA6.4L long ago, did some theater repair work which required just disconnecting the Russound and a week later hooking it back up again, it would never turn back on. I think I still have it sitting in the guest room....

I then got a Nuvo GC to replace it along with the AM/FM/Weather tuner and programming tool (you'll want this!). A year (or so) later I added a GC Expander....

So now my experience...

1) Nuvo now only provides firmware to their dealers, you can't get it from the web any longer. But, I still get hit with their eMails every month as if I was a dealer. This has been a huge negative to me, they don't seem to want the high-end do-it-yourself HA person. (Still trying to find a place to get the latest firmware from)
2) You'll need a computer with an RS-232 port to do any programming. I've now got an old Thinkpad X41 tablet with docking station just for this purpose.
3) The AM/FM/Weather tuner display has completely failed. Personally I don't care, we change stations through the keypads and I program the stations through the tool.
4) One of the zones on the GC Expander just suddenly died for no specific reason but the other zones are fine
5) Many of our keypads are flaky ... Make sure you have "warm" fingers or it doesn't register your touch. Also, we have problems with a couple keypads changing the volume up/down when you're pressing "OK" or ">>" (Next song). Problem keypads are put in rooms with the least amount of need for use (ie; Dining Room, Guest Room, Master Suite) ... keypads that have to work, Garage, Home Office, Master Bath, Kitchen....

Yeah, sounds like a lot of problems but it's not exactly....

I love the paging feature and it's super easy to implement. I use all 6 sources and since source 6 is the paging source I have it setup to mute the music and play the message. Paging items include: Caller ID, Weather Forecast, and Weather Alerts. On the drawing board: a garage door alert if it's open and it's after 10pm, someone changes the thermostats, and if the front/back doors are left open when the computer automatically adjust the termostats.

You might have caught a couple items in the MLS and MuL threads that I have macros for updating the keypads to show current album, artist, track, and the progress bar. It's all really cool when it's working but as I'm migrating to v4 of everything things aren't 100% working yet.

I also have the macros setup on the keypads (again, very easy) so Previous, Next, and Play/Pause control the proper MuL source.

I listed the worst of my items above... maybe if I had a "dealer" to work with it wouldn't be an issue (any takers here?) but I'm extremely happy with the system.

I know nothing about the Russound MCA-C5 system....

- Jeff

Update: Fixed it from CAV-6 to CA6.4L, I knew it didn't sound right... and the box w/keypads in the guest room, time for eBay I think...

freak69

Postby freak69 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:18 pm

I emailed Nuvo a while ago and received a generic login to they web site - works fine for downloading firmware updates, serial protocol, etc.. (PM me)

Not had any problems (touch wood) with my GC, but I'm on my third Nuvo T2 DAB Tuner...

agree paging is great, I actually use homeseer to do the talking and then I use IsSpeaking to trigger page mode off - works a treat.

Paul

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:39 pm

I would be interested in getting the latest Nuvo protocol documents. The ones I have are from 2007. Something must have changed by now.

Mr. Spock

Postby Mr. Spock » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:28 pm

So regarding signal sourcing, must I have a MPS4E to work with Music Lobby? I would prefer to just use my PC hard drive full of music & Music Lobby and not buy their music server. Will this still work well with the Nuvo keypads (metadata & control)?

Thanks.
Live long and prosper.

Return to “Nuvo”