Figuring gain/loss with MLStockInfo

Post scenes, comments about the MLStockInfo Plugin and it's use.
mosleyh
Intermediate
Intermediate

Figuring gain/loss with MLStockInfo

Postby mosleyh » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:18 pm

I've been playing around with MLStockInfo a bit. One of the things I set out to do is be able to see gain or loss as a percentage for the stocks I own.

I got it working, so I thought I'd post the calculations to save others some time.

Here's how it works:

(For this example, let's say the basis cost for IBM is $50.00 per share, and it's trading at $60.00)

set a variable at startup with the basis cost per share for each stock:

Code: Select all

MLServeCmd.SetVariable|stockIBM_basis~50.00

Then set up a server rule or an MLTimer to run a macro made from these commands:

MLServeCmd.MLMath|Subtract~stocktemp1~{{stockIBM_price}}~{{stockIBM_basis}}
Subtracts the basis cost from the current price - (60 - 50 = 10) and puts the result in {{stocktemp1))

MLServeCmd.MLMath|Divide~stocktemp2~{{stocktemp1}}~{{stockIBM_basis}}
Divides the result of the first equation by the basis cost (10 / 60 = 0.166666) and puts the result in {{stocktemp2}}

MLServeCmd.MLMath|Multiply~stocktemp3~{{stocktemp2}}~100
Multiplies the results of the second calculation by 100 to get a percentage and puts it in {{stocktemp3}}

MLServeCmd.wscStringFunctions|LEFT~stockIBM_gainloss~{{stocktemp3}}~6
Truncates the result of the third calculation at 6 characters. (chosen so as to get two characters after the decimal even when dealing with negative :shock: numbers) and puts the result in {{stockIBM_gainloss}}

Here's the whole macro:

MLServeCmd.Macro|MLMath|Subtract~stocktemp1~{{stockIBM_price}}~{{stockIBM_basis}}!MLMath|Divide~stocktemp2~{{stocktemp1}}~{{stockIBM_basis}}!MLMath|Multiply~stocktemp3~{{stocktemp2}}~100!wscStringFunctions|LEFT~stockIBM_gainloss~{{stocktemp3}}~6!

enjoy!

Return to “MLStockInfo”