Cant find a stock

Post scenes, comments about the MLStockInfo Plugin and it's use.
donburkard
Expert
Expert

Cant find a stock

Postby donburkard » Fri May 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Im looking for Caterpillar. Google says the symbol is CAT but i get nothing. I tried CAT.N as well with no result.

Thanks
Hooked on HighDef

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Fri May 01, 2009 10:25 pm

Don,

It is indeed, CAT. Friday closing at 37.26. Up +1.68. The original comany is based in my current home town, San Leandro, CA. Googe "San Leandro Caterpillar Inc." for some interesting history.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Sat May 02, 2009 12:29 am

Ok so why do you suppose ml cant find it?
Hooked on HighDef

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mnkynifefite » Sat May 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Because much like a lot of us, Mario bought it $60/share....it's just too depressing to see... :wink:

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sun May 03, 2009 12:35 am

Don,

I entered it into MLStockInfo as CAT and it found it. Check your log tab. You should be able to see if the plugin is retrieving the data from Yahoo's Finance website. Look for CAT in the SX: data string. If it is there, you should see some corresponding data in the RX: data string. The string items for each stock are delimited by double bars (ll ll).

Also check you MLServer variables. You should see CAT listed in the MLStockInfo variables.

One last thing, in the plugin settings under the "File" menu is "Update Stocks Now". That should give you an instant update from the Yahoo Finance website. Check your log after you do the update.

Ron

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Sun May 03, 2009 3:20 pm

I have nothing in the log. I checked the variables and all the stuff is there but i seem to have an extra variable. In the middle of it all i have mlstockinfo_hange_012

012 is the position of CAT. Any idea what the "hange" means?
Hooked on HighDef

jjjukebox

Postby jjjukebox » Sun May 03, 2009 3:28 pm

The "hange" is probably supposed to be "change".

Try putting your CAT stock in another position like the 2nd or 3rd stock. May be a plugin bug. I have only used upto 10 stocks.

Later
J.J. Jukebox

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sun May 03, 2009 4:44 pm

I've had this happen also. The plugin is buggy. I had a problem once with adding a stock into the list when the original list had a deletion, ie. the stock numbering was no longer sequential. I originally had 8 stocks, numbered 001 through 008. I deleted 003. When I tried to add a new stock, the plugin numbered the new stock as 008. So the final numbering in the list had two 008's and no 003. This caused the "Hange" server variable entry.

I tried deleting and re-entering stocks, re-installing the plugin. No luck. I guess the database gets corrupted. I think the stocks database is part of the MLServer database ... since I didn't find an mdb files related to stocks. The MLServer mdb file seems to be password protected. Since I don't have the password to edit the database, I was stuck.

My solution was to DELETE ALL STOCK ENTRIES from the plugin, restart MLServer, and re-enter my stocks again to get the numbering order correct. Since I only had 8 entries, it wasn't a big deal.

You might try this approach if you don't have a lot of stocks.

Ron

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun May 03, 2009 7:38 pm

I might be wrong, but I seem to recall that the other issue is that this plugin was developed by a third party, and Dave and Mario do not have the code. Several plugins are in that mode, and will require a re-write to fix even the smallest items. They have learned and no longer allow third party stuff without ownership of the code.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Sun May 03, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks guys. Thats exactly what i did and it worked. Thanks again
Hooked on HighDef

Return to “MLStockInfo”