Passing IR through USBIR6

Forum to discuss Cinemar's USBIR6 IR hardware and plugin
T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Passing IR through USBIR6

Postby T.Wells » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:48 pm

Hello-

I wanted to ask before I spend any time setting up my IR6. Is there a way to simply pass IR commands through the device?

For example, I have the learned codes for a Sony AVR loaded into the plug-in. Is there an easy way for the IR receiver on the IR6 to recognize the IR command in and pass it out through the output(s)? If so, that would be pretty darn slick.

However, I do not think that this is possible. Therefore, it would appear that I need to create a macro to pass each IR code.

I just wanted to check as I typically think of macros being long chains of commands and not a one line IR send based on the same IR receive.

Thanks,
T

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:10 pm

I guess my question would be WHY?

If you want MLServer to listen that is one thing, but why pass them through. I don't know your setup, but I assume you have some sort of IR in from a receiver and then you simply have your USBIR6 with emitters attached to yourcomponents.

All you need is a connecting block and you can send the receiver to receiver IN and you can take an IR out on the USBIR6 and use a global cache GCX cable to connect it to the IR Receiver input on the same conenctig block. Then hook your emmitters up to the connecting block. Unless you have a component you are trying to control in a zone or a duplicate component without discrete unit codes like TIVO has, then passing everything through the USBIR6 is a bit of a chore.

I have mine setup this exact way and it works like a charm.

T.Wells
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby T.Wells » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:56 pm

bigDvette wrote:I guess my question would be WHY?

Big,

I use several RF remotes (URC MX-850) to control the TVs in the house. I have the RF base station (MRF-250) that converts the RF to an IR signal. I have a second equipment closet on the first floor for the plasma which I need to control the receiver. I have a single IR cable run to that unit. Therefore, if I connect it directly to the MRF-250, I have lost the connection to MLServer and vice versa.

The problem is that I can't send the IR signal out multiple lines on the MRF-250 (it has 6 outputs) as I have a second receiver that accepts the same commands.

I was messing around with this tonight and found this out ...

I used macros to send the commands from the IR6. I learned the unique IR code to execute the macro via RF->IR and also via straight IR. It appears that when the IR command is converted from RF to IR that there is an ever so slight change that make the IR6 read an unknown event code.

I guess I am going to have to look for a plan B (perhaps buy another MRF unit or look into running an IR eye from the family room plasma to the basement equipment closet).

Big,
I think that you were using the IR6 for an Onkyo receiver. I just got the new 905. If you have the codes for your AVR already loaded, would you mind exporting and sending them over to me? It would save me from learning many of my codes.

Thanks,
T.Wells

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:45 am

There are a couple of solutions to this.

You could use a GC100 over a wireless bridge.

I think you are saying you have a RF receiver near your MLServer Server. But you also send one of the outputs from the 250 to another 250 in the closet downstairs. Do you use the second 250 because you can't get the RF signals to the 250 near MLServer.

I would bet that the 250 could be connected to a connecting block by MLServer and then take one of those ouputs and push it to the other 250. At teh same time you could take the output from the USBIR6 and feed it in to the same connecting block and send those commands down to the other 250. I'm working a bit blind here, but I'm wondering if you need multiple 250s with 1 downstairs or not. Maybe you live in 8000sqft :-)

I'll be happy to help if I can, but I only stored the volume, mute and source change IR codes.

In re-reading you post i guess I'm confused what goes down that line betwen floor 1 and the basement today and I'm assuming there is an onkyyo for the plasma and one in the basement for the theater. I assume you know you can set the receivers to different remote codes. At the least the 905 can be. Instructions are on page 108 of your manual. Right column under Remote Control - Remote ID

Maybe that frees up some options.

Return to “USBIR6”